Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Death of Superman(2018 Film) Getting a New Digital Comic Prequel

Loved the movie, so really excited to read more. Plus, we get to see the new 52 costume in the comics again.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Cat Staggs on art (and inks)? Really? That's really, really interesting. I might have to check it out based on how this book might end up looking. Oh wow, Simonson writing too? Haven't taken in enough of her work to be hype for it, but I'm interested to see something modern and Superman from her.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

They sure love to milk that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    They sure love to milk that story.
    Yup.

I mean, I guess this is great for people who loved the movie, though I'm generally not fond of comic tie-ins to WB animation. Kind of strange that they insist on not using the animated costumes.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

*shrug*

Death is big business. Murica.

Haven't seen the movie yet but it's interesting that someone who wrote the original death is tasked with tweaking this new one. And it's Weezy so I'll buy.

BANNED

Isn't there any other Superman storyline that they could animate? What Ever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, For Tomorrow, Last Son Of Krypton, Camelot Falls and quite a few others...
    Dawn it, if Death got the re-animated treatment why not re animate For The Man Who Has Everything?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

That's also a Jerry Ordway cover too.

Ordway+Louise Simonson+Cat Skaggs= buy from me.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Isn't there any other Superman storyline that they could animate? What Ever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, For Tomorrow, Last Son Of Krypton, Camelot Falls and quite a few others...
    Dawn it, if Death got the re-animated treatment why not re animate For The Man Who Has Everything?
    I suspect some if not all of those will eventually get the animated treatment. I agree 'Death of' is over done, but if we get a decent retelling of REIGN out of it, this is worth it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm so tired of this passion play they keep rolling out. The original story isn't bad but the importance of it is largely overstated. I think it must just be a fan thing.

I will wager, it IS cool seeing the actual Justice League present in the story.

Astonishing Member

I keep reading about this DoS fatigue all over this board, and I can't relate since I only got into reading Superman comic a few years ago and I have never read the original story and Reign. I plan to eventually. So I might be the minority because I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I keep reading about this DoS fatigue all over this board, and I can't relate since I only got into reading Superman comic a few years ago and I have never read the original story and Reign. I plan to eventually. So I might be the minority because I'm looking forward to this.
    I quite enjoyed the movie and I am looking forward to this comic as well. For me it's just nice to see Supes getting his own solo movies again. Plus we're finally getting Reign of the Supermen! I just hope these movies do well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Loved the movie, so really excited to read more. Plus, we get to see the new 52 costume in the comics again.
    Yeah, baby! Return of the New 52 Superman! Give us more of that, come on now! I miss the New 52 Superman now more than ever, now that basically Bendis is the only option on the menu.

It's not just the comics; in the movies they just did a "Death & Return of Superman" with Batman v. Superman and Justice League, in 2016 they killed the New 52 Superman (I may never be okay with it honestly) and a few years before that, the "Doomed" crossover was another Superman vs. Doomsday story. Plus they did a version of the Death in Morrison's "Action Comics" run, they did a Doomsday season on Smallville, and over a decade ago there was another animated movie called "Superman: Doomsday" that adapted the Death and Return.

I'm looking forward to this animated movie too, but I am kind of worried about DC's apparent lack of originality. I really hope you like the comic when you read it though, it's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    For me it's just nice to see Supes getting his own solo movies again.
    Yeah, absolutely. It's frustrating that we've just been seeing him in the animated JL movies, especially when he's been crying out for more screen time.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Hehe, that'd be funny if there were a slippery slope policy in which because "Death" has been retold various times, then all stories that had been used were on the table.

"For the Man Who Has Everything" was a good episode, but they made just enough changes that I could possibly get into a remake. I'll give them credit for being clever in making the episode customized for the DCAU, even if I think to some degree I found some of the changes a tad disappointing.

"Emperor Joker"... dang it, why'd the make that into a Brave and the Bold episode, and make it not about Superman? I guess that wouldn't be a WB first of taking a Superman story and turning it into a Batman one...

Action Comics 300: they essentially adapted this twice, and both times, I'd say they nailed it.

Astonishing Member

I get the fatigue felt by the others, I just don't feel that way. Yes I have seen BvS and JL and read all of N52 Superman and know doomsday was is Smallville (which I never finished) and now have watched this latest DoS movie, that's as far as my exposure goes with the story. I understand the frustration that DC won't move to other stories, I just haven't reached that level because for a long while I wasn't exposed to anything Superman. I may as well consume any and everything they put out at this point with some exceptions of course. DoS isn't one of those exceptions at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hehe, that'd be funny if there were a slippery slope policy in which because "Death" has been retold various times, then all stories that had been used were on the table.
    Heck, I'd like it if they just started adapting random Superman stories. The one where Superman impersonates the meekest man in the world to help him get a promotion, from the Golden Age? Sure, let's make that an animated movie. The one where Jimmy and Superman go to a tiny planet so evil it's got devil horns and is inhabited by Hollywood movie monsters? You got it, make it a Scooby-Doo crossover.

"For the Man Who Has Everything" was a good episode, but they made just enough changes that I could possibly get into a remake. I'll give them credit for being clever in making the episode customized for the DCAU, even if I think to some degree I found some of the changes a tad disappointing.
    Honestly the only thing I really like better about the comic compared to the JLU version is that Robin's in it, haha! And Alan Moore's awesome narration I suppose.

I get the fatigue felt by the others, I just don't feel that way... I understand the frustration that DC won't move to other stories, I just haven't reached that level because for a long while I wasn't exposed to anything Superman. I may as well consume any and everything they put out at this point with some exceptions of course. DoS isn't one of those exceptions at least for me.
    Hey fair enough! As long as you like it! I like most of it too. Not like I'm refusing to consume the media either, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."