Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Kevin Feige suggests more narrative set in the past.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/06/marv...k-in-time.html

So what can it mean?
    First, Eternals shall be partly set in the past.
    It could mean more scenes with Hank Pym, Janet and Bill in the past and maybe more Peggy Carter!
    But the most important thing to me is that it can be seen (by an optimistic guy such as me!)as an indication of the modus operandi chosen to integrate the Fantastic Four into the MCU.
    Let's go for the past, let's go for the 60's if you want, though I would prefer the Ff to be contemporaries of Hank, Janet and bill as a first generation.

What are your thoughts about it?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If they want to leave a character in their own corner of the MCU and never crossover, set it whenever they want. Doesn’t matter that much to me. If they want said character/ property to be an integral part of the MCU, set the movie in the present.

Fantastic Four in the 60s would be definitely differentiate it from the other attempted adaptations.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Of all the characters they have to draw from, putting the FF in the 60s is the very worst choice. The world that MCU has created simply doesn't support that team existing at that point in history. Unless Endgame ends in some universal reset a la COIE, putting the FF in 1963 makes no narrative sense. If it does end in a big reset, that's pretty much worse. There is just nothing about that era that the four are inextricably tied to.

I'm not a big fan in general of going back to the past to tell stories in. When you know the present, a crisis in the past can't really happen. At most you can just have a big fight that has a foregone conclusion. They've already gone to the well of the past too often (I count over 30% of the solo franchises have been there already - Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, and Captain Marvel). Just keep it in the present and keep moving forward. Backward is no way to succeed beyond Endgame.

Retired

I kind of would like a John Krasinski/Emily Blunt Fantastic Four, but an idea I had would be if the FF was an African-American team in the early 1960s. Given the racism of the time, it would be hard for them to be taken seriously--and the fact that they weren't remembered would make sense, because they would be disregarded by the news media of the day. This would allow Marvel to tell stories directly tied into the civil rights movement--and it would make the FF heroes to some and outlaws to others at that time.

Incredible Member

I didn't think about setting the adventures of the FF in the past, just their origin, they can get through the Quantum Zone, get their powers while there and reemerge today!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I didn't think about setting the adventures of the FF in the past, just their origin, they can get through the Quantum Zone, get their powers while there and reemerge today!
    But why bother? What is gained by having them get powers in the past and have adventures today? Fish out of water? The four are already fishes out of water because of their powers, particularly Thing. All time travel seems to accomplish is to make it all the more unrealistic that Reed will be a super scientist by today's Marvel standards.

Seems to be where DC is going. Joker looks to be set in the past. Wonder Woman 1984 is obviously in the past. The Batman is rumored to be sort of a prequel. Supergirl is rumored to be set in the 1970s.

I don't see the FF being set in the past, the Quantum Realm is so prominent now that it can still serve as an entry for them post Endgame. If anything, MAYBE it could be the X-Men. How else are they going to explain where they've been all this time?

F4 starting in the 1960s and coming back the present after Endgame would work given the nature of their franchise. They could be in the Negative Zone fighting Annihlus, travel through time stopping Kang (my personal favorite), in the MicroVerse, etc.

X-Men would be harder but my recent thought has been The Snap jumpstarts human DNA and mutants start showing up in droves post Endgame. With the Eternals being introduced now, I really think that will be the goal of the next 2 phases (introducing mutants and their impact slowly), waking Celestials and their immune responses.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    But why bother? What is gained by having them get powers in the past and have adventures today? Fish out of water? The four are already fishes out of water because of their powers, particularly Thing. All time travel seems to accomplish is to make it all the more unrealistic that Reed will be a super scientist by today's Marvel standards.
    It allows you to tell a stand alone story where they get to be the focal point and can actually be a big deal as opposed to just another super hero group on the block. And Reed should be unrealistic.

They should make a Disney+ show about Hank and Janet as Ant-Man & The Wasp on the past. Maybe calll it Tales to Astonish.

Maybe a blaze of glory west movie with two gun kid? Marvel has not done the west yet. Maybe agents of atlis or a movie about the limited series with the "lost" 50s heroes. Maybe a tomb of or frankenstain film set in the past or a black knight film starting out in knight times?

Well Black Widow and Eternals for sure. Well Eternals atleast In part.

Fantastic four possible and Doom Possible In the past but I dont like the idea as much as everyone else seems to.

Wolverine

If we get Namor part of his Origin would deal with the past. Iono if they would go WWII far back but atleast 80s or 90s for a chunk of it.

Blade could defiently work, maybe the 60s set in London.

Also Captain Marvel 2 probaly shows us what shes been doing all this time out in the far reaches of space.

Lokis show is suppose to be a prequel right? Like history as seen and michevious meddled with by Loki.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It allows you to tell a stand alone story where they get to be the focal point and can actually be a big deal as opposed to just another super hero group on the block. And Reed should be unrealistic.
    A badly written script could be set in the past and still fail to make the group succeed as a big deal. A well-written script can be set in the present and still succeed at making the group a big deal. Setting it in the past just adds complication and pointlessness, and fails to have any relevance an any future movies when they aren't in the past any more. Indeed, a more likely story is them struggling with how they aren't a deal any more.

Plus, in the movie-verse, there's no particular reason they should be a big deal. They haven't been in the comics for decades, and I would hope by now that we all realize the comics are not relevant to the movies in any detailed way to begin with. They are a source of broad inspiration..