Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Joaquin Phoenix to Play Joker

So, is this a good or bad idea? I personally enjoy a lot Joaquin's work and i'm a sucker for gritty crime dramas/thrillers, so out of all DC movies next year this particular project really excites me the most lol.

What do you guys think?

BANNED

I'm indifferent about it.

After years of being a die hard Batman fan I just don't really find the Joker that interesting anymore; there are way better Batman villains with more expansive backstories and dynamics that definitely make for better movies. Also the storyline they are going with doesn't really resemble the comics in any way that I've noticed.

A movie about a guy who goes crazy and becomes a notorious criminal just seems really boring. there are countless other DC properties that would be better to adapt

Quote Originally Posted by 950Killer View Post
    So, is this a good or bad idea? I personally enjoy a lot Joaquin's work and i'm a sucker for gritty crime dramas/thrillers, so out of all DC movies next year this particular project really excites me the most lol.

What do you guys think?
    I don't think a Joker movie is a good idea. He is good as a Batman villain (Nicholson and Ledger, NOT Leto) but I don't need a movie about a homicidal manic who is some kind of uber-villain for no apparent reason.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm cool with Leto so maybe next time, maybe next time.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I hope this is a lean, mean, low budget, grindhouse, independent flick version of a Joker movie. Phoenix could be great.

Well, he does do crazy good.

I always preferred Adrien Brody for the Joker, so let's see how this goes. Too bad it won't be connected to BatFleck and the like.

BANNED

For me personally, Batman without Joker works. Joker without Batman is a very tough sell.

I'm actually pretty interested in it. A small scale, gritty little character film sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    For me personally, Batman without Joker works. Joker without Batman is a very tough sell.
    Depends what they do though right? They get to make up Jokers origin. They can do a great story if the scripts good. Especially if they steal the whole one bad day theme from killing.Joke. show a mans decent into madness after having just one bad day. But have Joker narrating it and maybe contradict himself once or twice to leave it open to maybe hes making it all up

Extraordinary Member

Great actor but 55mil budget? Sounds like scared money to me. Even antman had a bigger budget lol.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-24-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 950Killer View Post

What do you guys think?
    I think the casting is good, but the movie is a terrible idea.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Joker's just not that interesting by himself. They really going to have to put a lot of work in to make him a compelling character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LegendOfTheAngryBlonde View Post
    Joker's just not that interesting by himself. They really going to have to put a lot of work in to make him a compelling character.
    I think he canbe interesting if handled carefully. I just don't understandhow the film counts top any satisfying conclusion.

I have the same reservation about Venom. How does the film become about the triumph of good over evil? Or if it's not about that, then what's the point? Will people really go to see The Omen in clown makeup? Maybe, but seems like a stretch to me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't care. I am not he biggest Phoenix fan anyway since I think he is kind of an egomaniac *******, but the bottom line I just don't care enough about Joker. Part of the hook of the Joker is his cloudy origin and when the movie is all about taking that away to me your stripping a major selling point of the character. Plus like others have said the Joker without Batman just sounds like a bad idea anyway.

On top of all that you have the fact that WB is already on shaky ground when it comes to the Joker after how they screwed up with SS, and now you want to have this coming out? The casual movie fan is going to be so confused.