Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bongo closing down, Simpsons Comics cancelled at #245

Simpsons Comics is cancelled, because Bongo is shuttering.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...5-years-bongo/

I hope Titan gets the licence. They already do a reprint magazine and the trade paperbacks in the UK.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Simpsons Comics is cancelled, because Bongo is shuttering.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...5-years-bongo/

I hope Titan gets the licence. They already do a reprint magazine and the trade paperbacks in the UK.
    Genuinely sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed the titles I read of theirs.

It would be cool if Archie got the license in the States. Archie's always had market penetration that Bongo didn't, for the most part.

But 25 years is a hell of a run and a lot of Comics Companies have come and gone since then (and a bunch never survived the 90's, period).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It would be cool if Archie got the license in the States. Archie's always had market penetration that Bongo didn't, for the most part.
    However, Archie Comics has a less-than-spectacular track record these days for long-run, on-time scheduling of its titles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    However, Archie Comics has a less-than-spectacular track record these days for long-run, on-time scheduling of its titles.
    Really? Didn't know that.

I had assumed that the reboot/horror line stuff was still being published regularly I just wasn't hearing about it anymore.

BANNED

And so the first signs of the Disney Simpsons era begins to manifest. Likely this has more to do with them controlling the license.

I had assumed that the reboot/horror line stuff was still being published regularly I just wasn't hearing about it anymore.
    The reboot is taking a few months off, with it being launched later in the year under Nick Spencer's pen.

Except for one thing - Disney don't control Fox yet, and Bongo wasn't owned by Fox anyway, Matt Groening owns it.

Also, Bongo also publishes Spongebob Squarepants, so presumably that's cancelled as well.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The "horror line" is all over the place as to if/when it gets published these days. It seem like the newer titles may do okay, but I don't know long they'll be "on going" or if they are more of a limited run.
    Afterlife with Archie, as far as I'm aware, still hasn't published any issues since maybe late 2016?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I didn't even realize Simpsons comics were still a thing. I forget the show is still running until I hear it's been renewed again.
    At least Supernatural has something to strive for I suppose.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Except for one thing - Disney don't control Fox yet, and Bongo wasn't owned by Fox anyway, Matt Groening owns it.

Also, Bongo also publishes Spongebob Squarepants, so presumably that's cancelled as well.
    Solicits have now confirmed that. Says that Spongebob is going on hiatus... until it gets a new #1 at a new publisher I guess. And the cover for Simpsons has both the original and modern Bongo logos on it. The old logo is only normally used on their website nowadays, so that's a clear sign that it's the publisher's last comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    So the new publisher will not be using the original numbering?
    It's extremely rare that they do keep the numbering when the publisher is changed. Sonic got a new #1 when it moved from Archie to IDW, for example.

It's extremely rare that they do keep the numbering when the publisher is changed. Sonic got a new #1 when it moved from Archie to IDW, for example.
    There's no guarantee a new publisher won't continue the numbering from a previous publisher, but doesn't a "New #1 Issue!" seem like it would be more likely to attract new readers than just "Issue #86! Same old numbering, but brand-new publisher!"?

Ultimate Member

They can if they want as IDW how proved with GI Joe, Transformers & some of the Disney books.

I mean what will get more attention The Simpson Number 1 or Simpsons #246 on the march to issue #300.

Exactly. I'll actually be surprised if either Simpsons or Spongebob starts a new volume at a new publisher and it doesn't start from scratch at #1.

Dang, always sad to see people go out of business, hope all of them find new jobs soon. The Simpsons comic was pretty funny, though I won't pretend like I was a regular reader or anything. 245 Issues is a hell of a run in modern comics.

The current issue of Titan UK's version of Simpsons Comics, issue 19, includes the story from issue 244, with 245's content due next issue. I won't be surprised if issue 20 is the last due to exhaustion of the source material.