Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Rafa Sandoval

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This is hard. A lot of them draws with correct anatomy, perspective, creative composition, and panel design. The ones who don't draw realism have great style and expression.

I guess I'll eliminate the realistic art style by the ones who do the same faces syndrome. That means no Fabok, Jim Lee and Emanuella Luppacchino. I'll also eliminate the stiff ones, like Janin.

That still leaves a lot of people, so I'll narrow it down further by personal taste
    Umm... definitely not JRJR, Brett Booth and Chris Burnham... they're good in their own way but an acquired taste for me
    Ivan Reis and Eddy Barrows I'll eliminate for making creepy grins.
    I'll eliminate Doug Mahnke and Gary Frank because their inking style sometimes define character's wrinkles or lips too much, making them either look creepy or too old than what I think they're supposed to be
    I'll eliminate Jae Lee for being too stylized and Lee Weeks for the sketchy style.
    I don't like cartoon style that much so Jorge Jimenez, Capullo or Victor Bogdanovic are also out.
    I find Manapul's overall result too soft.
    Karl Kerschl is really good but fits better for younger books so not universal enough.
    Joelle Jones is really good but she draws male heroes older and thinner than they should be.

So it comes down to Clay Mann and Nicola Scott.
    Clay Mann sometimes can be as stiff as Janin or Fabok. Nicola Scott is more fluid.

Wait do we count people not working at DC at the moment like J.H. Williams III and Alex Ross? If so I'll eliminate Alex Ross because he makes the heroes look old or looking like they're set in a 60s tv series.

So I guess I'll pick J. H. Williams III for good realism, coloring, and creative paneling. He also can change visual style depending on mood or character, like using ligne claire on Kate Kane, noir for D.E.O. and watercolor for Batwoman

Wait, the title says currently...

So, Nicola Scott.
    I like your process, but is Scott working at DC right now? I think she's working only on Black Magick right now?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fabok. But i believe DC has the best lineup of great artists currently. Reis, Gleason, Janin, Mann, Jimenez, Manapul, Weeks, Leon, Murphy, Daniel, Schmidt, Sandoval, Rossmo, Mahnke, Shaner, Ferreyra, Jones, Sejic, Blanco, Rocafort, Soy and many others! Their art is gorgeous in current books. I can't complain about it.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Jorge Jimenez, Greg Capullo, Lee Weeks, Mitch Gerads, Sean Murphy, Stephan Sejic, Pat Gleason, Adam Hughes, Francis Manapul, Evan ‘Doc’ Shaner, Fenardo Blanco, JP Leon, Bilquis Evely, Nicola Scott, Clay Mann, Jay Fabok, Michael Cho, Alvaro Martinez, Nick Derrington, Mikel Janin, and Joelle Jones. In no particular order.

And I know he only drew one issue but, Sebastian Fiumara is an honorable mention.

It’s really hard to pick one, and that’s a great thing! I keep coming back to my post and editing it.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 07-24-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

JASON FABOK and IVAN REIS.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Jorge Jimenez, Greg Capullo, Lee Weeks, Mitch Gerads, Sean Murphy, Stephan Sejic, Pat Gleason, Adam Hughes, Francis Manapul, Evan ‘Doc’ Shaner, Fenardo Blanco, JP Leon, Bilquis Evely, Nicola Scott, Clay Mann, Jay Fabok, Michael Cho, Alvaro Martinez, Nick Derrington, Mikel Janin, and Joelle Jones. In no particular order.

And I know he only drew one issue but, Sebastian Fiumara is an honorable mention.

It’s really hard to pick one, and that’s a great thing! I keep cominah back to my post and editing it.
    Sebastian Fiumara is amazing. I've loved his stuff since he did Ender's Shadow a decade ago. Really appealing, really great sense of contrast and drama. He's on one of the Sandman books, I think, so more to come!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Man, there are so many right now!

Fabok, Reis, Mann, Janin, and Frank......Jorge Jiminez, Capullo, Scott......all of these people are great artists, with strong styles and decent-to-great layouts and storytelling ability.

But for me, there's only one #1 artist at DC right now; Sejic. He's got a style with recognizable roots that is still all his own and you don't see much from the Big 2 that can compare.

Dan Mora should get an honorable mention too, but he's not doing anything other than some covers (I think?). Ryan Ottley would get a vote too if he had gone to DC instead of Marvel after Invincible ended.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jim Lee
    Jason Fabok
    Mitch Gerards
    Clay Mann
    David Finch
    Ivan Reis
    Gary Frank
    Jorge Jiminez
    Dextor Soy
    Tony S Daniel
    Sejic
    Joelle
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 07-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I like your process, but is Scott working at DC right now? I think she's working only on Black Magick right now?
    She drew Titans Special #1, so I thought she's still in. I don't know about now-now.

Clay Mann then.

I forgot about Stjepan Sejic. I really like his designs but he also has the same face syndrome for female characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    JASON FABOK and IVAN REIS.
    This but Rafa is my fave that hasn't reached reserved by Johns or Bendis status (like the above mentioned Gary Frank and Phil Jimmenez)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Francis Manapul
    Nicola Scott
    Stephan Sejic
    Pat Gleason
    Greg Capullo
    Scott Kolins
    Ivan Reis
    Dan Jurgens
    Norm Breyfogle (ANOTHER top artist not currently working for a major company)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Francis Manapul, Rocafort, Janin, Reis, and Tarr

Oh and Soy of course.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Norm Breyfogle (ANOTHER top artist not currently working for a major company)
    He had a stroke a few year ago and cannot draw with his drawing hand. Last I read he was teaching himself to draw with this other hand, but I have not heard how that is going.

Fantastic Member

I’ve seen Mikel Janin mentioned a lot and he’s someone I go back and forth on quite frequently. I believe he’s considered the “main” artist on Batman right now but for some reason his art just doesn’t do it for me in that book. On the other hand, I felt he crushed it on Justice League Dark. I haven’t done a side by side comparison of the two books but did something change in just a few years? I totally get what was said earlier about his art having a 3D look to it, though I’m unsure if that’s him or the colorist. Anyways, I just wanted to voice my confusion and that he doesn’t work for Batman for me. I just wish I understood why lol.

Jorge Jiminez! He has been killin' it for the last few years, but his current work on "Justice League" is absolutely beautiful. His figures are so kinetic and he brings so much energy to the story. I love this dude's work.