Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Who do you currently think is DC Comics' best artist?

Not doing a poll because someone's favorite always gets left off.

Who do you think currently is DC Comics' best artist?

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Objectively, Clay Mann.

But I'm personally partial to Jonboy Meyers's style, so he's probably my favorite.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Mann and Fabok
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantastic Member

Personally, I love Evan "Doc" Shaner. He has this retro almost silver age style that stands out as unique to me. I just wish he would remain on an ongoing title and I'm not sure what he's up to currently.

Runners-up would be Francis Manapul (amazing stuff on The Flash), Kenneth Rocafort (defines Sideways for me), Lee Weeks (the recent Batman issue was beautiful with Breitweiser's colors), Liam Sharp (amazing attention detail), and Mitch Gerads (just another awesome unique, non-house style).

Edit: If we're allowed to include Jinxworld stuff then Michael Gaydos, Alex Maleev, and David Mack are all no-brainers. And I wish them all a warm welcome to DC haha!
    Last edited by soundsci; 07-23-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Personally, I love Evan "Doc" Shaner. He has this retro almost silver age style that stands out as unique to me. I just wish he would remain on an ongoing title and I'm not sure what he's up to currently.

Runners-up would be Francis Manapul (amazing stuff on The Flash), Kenneth Rocafort (defines Sideways for me), Lee Weeks (the recent Batman issue was beautiful with Breitweiser's colors), Liam Sharp (amazing attention detail), and Mitch Gerads (just another awesome unique, non-house style).

Edit: If we're allowed to include Jinxworld stuff then Michael Gaydos, Alex Maleev, and David Mack are all no-brainers. And I wish them all a warm welcome to DC haha!
    Lee Weeks is a good one. Guy doesn't get enough credit, either. His art is not only great, but somehow calming, too.

I really can't pick one, to be honest. I'll always be a fan of Joe Bennett's work for his run on Hawkman Vol. 4, though, so I have to throw his name out there every time a "best artist" list comes up.

I think Freddie E. Williams II's work is particularly unique, too, and I'm a great fan of it.

Ethan Van Sciver and Ivan Reis usually fall at about the same place for me. I just like how sharp and dynamic their work is. It's like all the best stuff I loved from the art of the '90s, but without any of the bad.

Rags Morales, Clay Mann, and Dale Eaglesham are worth a mention, too, from me. Although I feel Eaglesham's work has gone down a bit as of late, he's still a great artist.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Incredible Member

Ivan Reis and Jason Fabok. I know they don't have a unique style like Manapul, Miller or Irving, among others, but I really like how they draw superheroes.

Fabok and Janin.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fabok and Janin.
    I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to take Janin seriously since I saw that panel where he traced Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to take Janin seriously since I saw that panel where he traced Fox News.
    That's fine, I happen to think he's a really good artist and that's all I care about. His political views are no concern of mine.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-23-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Jon Davis-Hunt.

Not even close.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Fabok is #1.

Ivan Reis. Eddy Barrows. Liam Sharpe. Segovia is good too. I also really like Lan Medina on Mera. He has that classic clean style.

You know DC really has a lot of fantastic artists now. I have a lot more but naming almost all of DC's artists kinda defeats the purpose of this article.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's fine, I happen to think he's a really good artist and that's all I care about. His political views are no concern of mine.
    Oh, that's not why. Not at all. It's the blatant tracing I have an issue with.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Oh, that's not why. Not at all. It's the blatant tracing I have an issue with.
    I kinda agree.

I used to love Janin. But now his art just seems very wooden and like 3d models to me.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Dexter Soy. He's leaving Red Hood...not sure where he's going next. But the stuff he's been posting for fun has been so good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I kinda agree.

I used to love Janin. But now his art just seems very wooden and like 3d models to me.
    I think it may even go beyond tracing too. Just look at this. The original names are still on the lower third and the name of the Fox News show is still on two of the monitors. Makes me think he ran through some sort of filter before redrawing the anchors in front of where they were.

Last edited by KurtW95; 07-23-2018 at 05:10 PM.