Default Transformers, what to read ?!

Hey guys, I've been looking to read some transformers, but with all the series that IDW is putting out, it's hard to follow for new comers. So let's say I should start somewhere, what do you recommend ? What's the latest Canon serie and how do you rate it ? Should I just pick up transformers vol 1 from IDW and start from there ? Are there better series out there ? perhaps even from a different publisher ?? And how do they connect to each other ? Do they share the same universe ?

Hope to hear from you all, thanks!

I tried to read the Megatron Origins series and I couldn't get into it at all, had no idea who most of the characters were by sight...just felt totally lost most of the time. I finally gave up on it. Not sure if I will try again.

Start at the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot. From there, the two main series that followed were More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. About halfway through, RiD switched to just Transformers. They relaunched again after as Lost Light and Optimus Prime respectively, but I've found they haven't been as good since the relaunch.

But yeah, start with The Death of Optimus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I tried to read the Megatron Origins series and I couldn't get into it at all, had no idea who most of the characters were by sight...just felt totally lost most of the time. I finally gave up on it. Not sure if I will try again.
    I actually did the mini serie when it came out, I thought it was good...

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Start at the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot. From there, the two main series that followed were More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. About halfway through, RiD switched to just Transformers. They relaunched again after as Lost Light and Optimus Prime respectively, but I've found they haven't been as good since the relaunch.

But yeah, start with The Death of Optimus.
    And let's say I want to read them in tpbs because I don't want to hunt the singles, which volume is that ? When I look on IDW's site it's pretty confusing as they have many of the same tpbs listed in different categories. What are those "phase two" books ? They seem to be collecting from more than meets the eyes and robots in disguise :s

Death of Optimus is collected in trade for More than Meets the Eye volume 1, which leads into Robots in Disguise volume 1 I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...e+eye+volume+1

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...guise+volume+1

I ordered the first phase 2 hardcore which seems to begin at the death of optimus.

Transformers books are hard to find in my town. They just don't sell so the local LCS's don't bring them in. I have been ordering in the Unicron series, as they're wrapping up the current continuity. So they may be starting something new later this year. In the meantime, Transformers Unicron is pretty good.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-2/

Fairly certain that the More Than Meets The Eye series is pretty widely regarded as the best recent take on the franchise, correct? It tapped into a lot of meta-humour if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Fairly certain that the More Than Meets The Eye series is pretty widely regarded as the best recent take on the franchise, correct? It tapped into a lot of meta-humour if that's your thing.
    It was the best book I was reading when it was being published. Lost Light has lost some of its luster.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    It was the best book I was reading when it was being published. Lost Light has lost some of its luster.
    Good thing it's ending then. They've got a chance to start fresh with a clean slate.

At least Transformers Unicron is maintaining it's quality. It feels like little bits are being skipped between issues(likely filled in in Optimus Prime and Lost Light), but it's still really good.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-3/

To be honest now isn't the best time to thinking of getting into Transformers comics since IDW is ending the current continuity in October and rebooting the series next year.

Still if you want good IDW Transformers stuff to read, check out:

The Wreckers Saga by Nick Roche (Author and artist), James Roberts (Author), Guido Guidi (Illustrator), Brendan Cahill (Illustrator), Geoff Senior (Illustrator)
    More than Meets the Eye Volumes (1 - 5) (6 - 10 are good but not as good)
    Simon Furman's Infitration, Stormbringer, Escalation and Revelation are god to se hope the IDWverse began.
    Also the Spotlights are generally good

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    To be honest now isn't the best time to thinking of getting into Transformers comics since IDW is ending the current continuity in October and rebooting the series next year.

Still if you want good IDW Transformers stuff to read, check out:

The Wreckers Saga by Nick Roche (Author and artist), James Roberts (Author), Guido Guidi (Illustrator), Brendan Cahill (Illustrator), Geoff Senior (Illustrator)
    More than Meets the Eye Volumes (1 - 5) (6 - 10 are good but not as good)
    Simon Furman's Infitration, Stormbringer, Escalation and Revelation are god to se hope the IDWverse began.
    Also the Spotlights are generally good
    I'd agree, if you want to start fresh wait a few months. On the other hand, the Unicron series they're wrapping up with has been really good. https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-4/