Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I am receiving a lot of comments along the line of read it for yourself to find out. In a perfect world, I would, but I don’t have the finances for it. I can only afford one or two graphic novels every coulple of months, and I don’t want to spend $15-30 on something only to despise it and throw it out.

As I said in my first post, I’m a new reader to this series, and I have no past experience. When I was young, I did buy a lot of comics without doing research first, and it ended with me throwing out some and donating a lot of the others to my comic book store for nothing. I am looking for advice on if this is worth my money, and if I’m unsure by what I find, I stick with more conservative choices. It’s not a perfect system, but until I have a more consistent source of money, it’s how I can keep this hobby.

As for the Library, (thanks for the recommendation, Jekell) I’ll take a look. I hadn’t thought of that earlier because my library has a pitiful comic collection. Rows and rows of manga, only classic and 2003-2007 western comics. At least for Marvel. I haven’t checked out their (also small) DC collection, so wish me luck!
    Yeah, I would still recommend getting the pre-New 52 stuff (and Thunderworld and Convergence), but if you want to check out the New 52 version, depending on where you are, library would definitely be a great idea to get to find it (and other Captain Marvel collections you may be interested in). Most cities have websites where you can check and see if they have what you're looking for in the library you're interested in, so I would check that out for your local one and those in neighboring cities.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 07-25-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yeah, I would still recommend getting the pre-New 52 stuff (and Thunderworld and Convergence), but if you want to check out the New 52 version, depending on where you are, library would definitely be a great idea to get to find it (and other Captain Marvel collections you may be interested in). Most cities have websites where you can check and see if they have what you're looking for in the library you're interested in, so I would check that out for your local one and those in neighboring cities.
    Thanks for reminding me about Thunderworld and Convergence,
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    No problem. I wish the upcoming Shazam and Green Lantern writers were reversed because Morrison gets Billy and the Marvel Family (and I say that as someone who is generally not a Morrison fan). Plus, the best thing Johns ever did was reinvigorate the Green Lantern mythos. And Parker did a great job on the Convergence title too. Maybe you can't go wrong putting someone with that name of the character.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    3 other modern Shazam comics, you can read is Jeff Smith "Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil" , Paul Dini and Alex Ross "Shazam and the power of Hope!" And "Superman and Shazam: First Thunder!"

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    3 other modern Shazam comics, you can read is Jeff Smith "Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil" , Paul Dini and Alex Ross "Shazam and the power of Hope!" And "Superman and Shazam: First Thunder!"
    Thanks!

First Thunder is probably my first choice, ever since I found a pannal of spoilers:
    Superman chewing out Shazam for giving a child that sort of responsibility
    end of spoilers on Tumblr.

That really caught my attention.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 07-26-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No. You're right. It also ruins the origins of Freddy (by having him be a foster kid in the house and getting rid of uniquely being Captain Marvel Jr. after the tragedy with Captain Nazi) and Mary (being older than Billy, not being related to him, and growing up in the group foster home rather than being raised by the wealthy Bromwell family). We also have the new kids shrinking the roles of Mary and Freddy by getting on the same level as them. The existence of Darla Dudley also eliminates Uncle Dudley from the equation. Tawky Tawny is just a regular tiger that can turn into a sabertooth cat with Billy's magic. The wizard's name isn't Shazam. And there's a BS explanation that Billy has to mean it when he says Shazam, explaining how he can have that be his name without constantly transforming when referring to himself.
    Thanks for that. I can now safely avoid this version. You can modernize elements without changing basically everything.

Sorry for the double post. CBR has been acting up on me.
    It痴 been happening to me, too, and I can稚 even edit any double posts.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I知 not interested in New 52 Shazam. Change my mind.
    .....No!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    .....No!

Okay, then.

Okay, then.
    Truthfully; I don't know too much about him besides the general gist from talks and the appearance in other comics over the decades. The n52 version appears to be more alive though; less stoic one liners & yes/no answers; like when he really freaked out surprised of himself when he slapped Superman into a Mountain during n52 JL Trinity War. Recently got my first Cap issue; or rather a TP collection of about 6-10 issues which is n52 AFAIK. I still have to read it though; but I assume him being very different there opposed to the time when he and Spectre beat the crap out of each other in the events surrounding the Infinite Crisis. In fight all in control but later in the bar when Enchantress hit on him really lost.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Truthfully; I don't know too much about him besides the general gist from talks and the appearance in other comics over the decades. The n52 version appears to be more alive though; less stoic one liners & yes/no answers; like when he really freaked out surprised of himself when he slapped Superman into a Mountain during n52 JL Trinity War. Recently got my first Cap issue; or rather a TP collection of about 6-10 issues which is n52 AFAIK. I still have to read it though; but I assume him being very different there opposed to the time when he and Spectre beat the crap out of each other in the events surrounding the Infinite Crisis. In fight all in control but later in the bar when Enchantress hit on him really lost.
    I’ve heard the he’s more fleshed out argument, but I think there are ways to keep him pure and give him flaws.

For instance, he’s not nasty, but he is neurotic. He doesn’t feel comfortable letting others take care of him because so many in the past have failed him. As a result, he tends to to things like hoard food, try to take jobs without telling others, and constantly keeps a runaway pack just in case. He’s still polite and kind, but there are bad habits he just can’t break.

But, yeah, keep the reactions to all the events around him.

Incredible Member

This is my recommendation: DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO FORCE YOURSELF TO LIKE A BOOK. Entertainment should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore. And if you've already made up your mind in not liking a book, and need convincing to do otherwise from others, then you are wasting your time. Better to go to the back trades than to read an interpretation of a character you don't care for. You can either do that... or wait until the new series is released later this year. If that first issue doesn't "grab" you, then move on. At least then, you gave it a fair shot.

The trouble with both Thunderworld and Convergence: Shazam is that they’re too mired in Nostaglia (with a capital N) to offer any real alternative to the Nu52 Shazam.
    Last edited by Rod G; 10-06-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

BANNED

e26.jpg

That's your problem