Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Understand, this is someone who has only just taken an interest in Captain Marvel/Shazam.

I have not read one book from New 52, but I have been reading about it from both pro and cons, and I have taken an interest in the character. However, I haven’t seen anything for someone who hadn’t read anything before.

Having read the arguments, I have to say, this version of Billy’s kind of making me lose interest. From what I’ve read, he’s a nasty brat, and that makes me leery. I’ve heard the primary argument is that allows for character development, but if I don’t like you, I don’t care about your character development. I need to find a reason to cheer for you in the first place before I care enough to want you to change for the better, and I’m not just seeing anything in this Billy to make me want to see him change. (By the way, this attitude isn’t exclusive to comics. This is why I can’t stand Great Expectations.)

This makes me sad, because the whole foster home set up would otherwise be a plus for me, and I would have bought the book for that alone.

So, speaking as someone who hasn’t read it and doesn’t want to buy something there’s a strong chance I won’t like, and I seeing things clearly? Is there something I’m missing?
    This is what I call, getting influenced by others.
    I read it, and I can tell you Billy is very much appealing.
    People just don't like when authors decide to modify a bit the origin story and the personality.
    As soon as they see a difference, they focus on the changes and start accusing the writter of all evil.
    But I assure you, Shazam New52 is a very pleasant reading.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    Do yourself a favor and track down the back issues of Jerry Ordway's "The Power of Shazam!" from the '90s instead.
    Honestly I would also say Jeff Smith "Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil" and "Superman/Shazam: First Thunder" are also good reads. Honestly instead of discrediting one interpretation of Shazam/Captain Marvel over another (post crisis, Golden Age , New 52 or otherwise) , there are decades of comics that the op could read that could inform his decision on if he likes Shazam as a character.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Every character that lives on and thrives changes. Superman and Batman are not the same as they were in the old days, but the die hard Nu52 Shazam haters want that character to be forever frozen in time and never change. That is why Shazam has never been able to really take off in the DCU because of this hard headed mindset. DC has tried many times to do that version of the character and it fails because it is way to rooted in the past.

The Nu52 reboot version is great and don't let the haters tell you otherwise. They are just too stuck in their nostalgia mindset to ever admit that it was not this total failure they like to paint it to be. It has been going on so long now that they are even more dug in on their position just out of spite. If you go through most topics on this you will see it is the always the same few names that are complaining about it the most, so don't late that miniscule minority influence you.
    I appreciate your comments. The one problem that I have is while people against have give examples of why he痴 a brat (snapping at Darla, stealing from an ATM, etc.), I haven稚 seen many examples of positive things he痴 done. Can you give specifics?

Trust me, I WANT my mind to be changed. I壇 like to think positively, but the group that have more specific examples tend to leave the higher influence.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This. While there were a few changes from the original iteration that I disagree with (Tawky Tawny's origin, Billy's parents being murdered by Theo Adam), it largely stays true to the original version and Ordway is a fantastic writer.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    This is what I call, getting influenced by others.
    I read it, and I can tell you Billy is very much appealing.
    People just don't like when authors decide to modify a bit the origin story and the personality.
    As soon as they see a difference, they focus on the changes and start accusing the writter of all evil.
    But I assure you, Shazam New52 is a very pleasant reading.
    I like to have specifics beforehand. I don’t have a lot of money for this sort of thing, so don’t want to pay for something that will end up in the trash/a donation pile. Going over others opinions is a way of not wasting money and keeping my hobby at the same time.

I have had my mind changed in he past. I used to be vehemently against Dan Slott’s Spider-Man run, but after reading good and bad positions, I decided it had high highs and low lows. I really enjoy what Slott did well and dispise what he did poorly, but I had both sides. I just want to see both sides.

Like I said before, I haven’t had many specific examples of good moments while I’ve had many of bad. I’d like things to be even before I make a decision.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 07-24-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks for the recommendation!
    No problem. Also, if you want something really good, but not long, try Morrison's Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures and Parker's Convergence: Shazam.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ugh. That is a task beyond my ability. Never has it been more clear that TPTB at DC just don't know what to do with him than these days. They just keep leaning into Captain Marvel is a kid harder and harder.

Sometimes it can produce entertaining stories or at least pretty ones. Gary Frank art is the MOST.

But I would say pick up some PreFlashpoint to see the manboy thing done better.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No problem. Also, if you want something really good, but not long, try Morrison's Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures and Parker's Convergence: Shazam.
    Agreed, both are excellent. And it might be useful to read past interpretations of Billy to evaluate New 52 Billy.

Understand, this is someone who has only just taken an interest in Captain Marvel/Shazam.

I have not read one book from New 52, but I have been reading about it from both pro and cons, and I have taken an interest in the character. However, I haven稚 seen anything for someone who hadn稚 read anything before.

Having read the arguments, I have to say, this version of Billy痴 kind of making me lose interest. From what I致e read, he痴 a nasty brat, and that makes me leery. I致e heard the primary argument is that allows for character development, but if I don稚 like you, I don稚 care about your character development. I need to find a reason to cheer for you in the first place before I care enough to want you to change for the better, and I知 not just seeing anything in this Billy to make me want to see him change. (By the way, this attitude isn稚 exclusive to comics. This is why I can稚 stand Great Expectations.)

This makes me sad, because the whole foster home set up would otherwise be a plus for me, and I would have bought the book for that alone.

So, speaking as someone who hasn稚 read it and doesn稚 want to buy something there痴 a strong chance I won稚 like, and I seeing things clearly? Is there something I知 missing?
    Honestly you should read it and see for yourself, you're allowing people with their set of biases corrupt your decision. If you read it and decide and you don't like then thats fair but I think the story is worth a shot.

I am by no means an expert on the character, it was my first story on Captain Marvel/Shazam. Reading it made me want to seek out other stories and thanks to the fans comments on the New 52 version I get an idea of what to expect when seeking out older stories.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I am receiving a lot of comments along the line of read it for yourself to find out. In a perfect world, I would, but I don’t have the finances for it. I can only afford one or two graphic novels every coulple of months, and I don’t want to spend $15-30 on something only to despise it and throw it out.

As I said in my first post, I’m a new reader to this series, and I have no past experience. When I was young. I did by a lot of comics without doing research first, and it ended with me throwing out some and donating a lot of the others to my comic book store for nothing. I am looking for advice on if this is worth my money, and if I’m unsure by what I find, I stick with more conservative choices. It’s not a perfect system, but until I have a more consistent source of money, it’s how I can keep this hobby.

As for the Library, (thanks for the recommendation, Jekell) I’ll take a look. I hadn’t thought of that earlier because my library has a pitiful comic collection. Rows and rows of manga, only classic and 2003-2007 western comics. At least for Marvel. I haven’t checked out their (also small) DC collection, so wish me luck!

I don't think reading the Johns' version is going to change your mind about it. It is not going to try very hard to change your mind. The Billy is a brat, look how fresh it is felt flavorful for some at the time, but the amount of Shazam stories done since (zero in six years) really tells how strong DC felt the new direction was.

BANNED

If I may put in a two cents on the other Foster children is, to my guess, the new versions of the 3 other Marvels of the Golden Age.

I am receiving a lot of comments along the line of read it for yourself to find out. In a perfect world, I would, but I don’t have the finances for it. I can only afford one or two graphic novels every coulple of months, and I don’t want to spend $15-30 on something only to despise it and throw it out.

As I said in my first post, I’m a new reader to this series, and I have no past experience. When I was young. I did by a lot of comics without doing research first, and it ended with me throwing out some and donating a lot of the others to my comic book store for nothing. I am looking for advice on if this is worth my money, and if I’m unsure by what I find, I stick with more conservative choices. It’s not a perfect system, but until I have a more consistent source of money, it’s how I can keep this hobby.

As for the Library, (thanks for the recommendation, Jekell) I’ll take a look. I hadn’t thought of that earlier because my library has a pitiful comic collection. Rows and rows of manga, only classic and 2003-2007 western comics. At least for Marvel. I haven’t checked out their (also small) DC collection, so wish me luck!
    Yeah the library sounds like a good idea, the only other things I can suggest is going to a comic book shop or Barnes and Noble (if they're still open) and flip/read through the first issue. You can only just read the first issue online and then buy it if you like what you see. If not then you didn't have to waste any money.

Edit: It's also on Comixology for 9.99 if you don't mind digital copies.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Never mind
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-25-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Sorry for the double post. CBR has been acting up on me.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 07-25-2018 at 05:28 PM.