Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman Movies You Want to See Made?

Inspired by the recent best Superman movies threads and my general feeling he hasn't had a great, definitive movie since the 70's and 80's (haven't seen the new Death of Superman yet), what Superman stories would you like to see in film? From adaptations to original stories. Animated or live action.

For me personally, after all the death and return stuff, I wouldn't mind a good new origin film. Especially an animated version of either Superman Birthright or American Alien (which I read recently).

A Superman and the Legion of Superheroes movie.

Superman Red Son would be great, I loved the motion comic years ago, and you know they're up for elseworlds movies now since they did Gotham by Gaslight.

A Superman anime would be interesting. I know there's probably a lot of fans here not crazy about anime, but it would get Superman out to a somewhat different audience, and Batman has already done the anime thing twice!

A Scooby Doo crossover movie. Kids who watch Scooby will see Superman, Batman's already done it, and I just like Scooby stuff. And it'd be guaranteed to have a lighthearted, boyscout Supes.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

* Well, I'm for sure all about a Superman and the Legion of Superheroes movie (what'd I specficially be into is here http://community.comicbookresources....-Steel-2/page2 and continued here http://community.comicbookresources....-Steel-2/page3)

* I could honestly go for a Superman & Son live-action movie using time travel as a facilitator.

* A modified Superman: Brainiac has a pretty strong opening made for itself now, I feel.

* A modified version of Bendis' Man Of Steel and parts of his Superman run would be pretty strong. Film one being about setting up the mystery Rogol Zaar, The Circle, and "who shot Krypton." The go from there. Allows for a recontextualization of a lot of things present in the world formerly known as the DCEU, and gives Superman a nice space mystery to chew through.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Red Son. Been waiting for that one for quite some time now lol.

Retired

• GLASS
    • SUPER BOYS
    • AN UNLIKELY PROPHET
    • The Making of SUPERMAN the movie and/or a Christopher Reeve bio-pic
    • OH YES! WYOMING!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

DC Comics Presents Vol 1 #48
    For the Man Who Has Everything
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes
    It's Superman!
    Morrison's ACTION COMICS #14, maybe with beats from Miracle Monday mixed in

A detective flick in the vein of Adventures of Superman season 1, maybe using Metallo.

I realized recently that though Supes has had a ton of origin stories in comics, he's yet to have one in an animated movie. So I say let the next Superman movie be Birthright, Morrison's Action Comics, or For All Seasons. Besides that I'd like an animated movie that focuses on Metallo or Parasite. Both of them could use some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    [*]OH YES! WYOMING![/LIST]
    "with the trees and the rocks and the..." LOL!

Something with a Golden Age feel, for me. That would be fantastic.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Animate movies I want to see:

Kingdom Come.

The Nail

A Smallville movie with Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum reprising their roles.
    Assassinate Putin!

Seeing this thread I thought it just meant real movies, not cartoons. But I am okay with that. Speaking of DC comics presents; I would like to see an animation show that was like that, with a different super hero teaming with SM each episode. Kind of like that BM cartoon a while back (my little kids still love that one with Music Maestro). I think that would be a lot of fun.

Or a cartoon where he teams up with Gojira and heads to Planet X.

As far as a real movie is concerned; I would like to see SM have an opportunity to turn loose all his might and powers. Maybe get snatched to a far away planet (along with Lois), and have to fight gladiator style similar to WWH.

The movie I want to see more than any other is a adaptation of Morrison's first Action arc, set in the 1930's, with a strong influx of Fleischer sensibilities.

Mid-range budget; no "we spent 7 trillion dollars on this movie and can't understand why it didn't make a profit!" bulls**t from WB. Keep it a little restrained, with a tight focus on the character, not what kind of cool effects you can get out of the character. I want a Superman film a little closer to Logan than Infinity War (without the R rating though, Superman is for everyone); give us some spectacle and some badass fight scenes where we get to see Clark bloody and bruised, absolutely, but I want more time spent on character work and interaction, a mystery or investigation for Clark Kent to be involved in, stuff like that.

I'd like to see Ultra-Humanite brought in as a secondary villain, built up for a potential sequel. And he has to have a giant robot for Clark to fight in the second Act, before the Collector of Worlds arrives for the real showdown.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Animated Superboy and Legion & Kingdom Come are my top two.

A animated Web Series on the Kryptonian Clone Wars with Black Zero and the bombing of Kandor would be cool.

Live action anything not involving Luthor or Zod as the main villain. Brainiac, Parasite, Toy Man, heck Metallo has been an option since 84 with Terminator.

Astonishing Member

American Alien should definitely get an animated adaptation. Though perhaps it might be more suited to an animated mini-series, given that its basically vignettes of Superman's life.

On the live-action front - I want to see a loose adaptation of Superman: Brainiac. I think its WAY past time that Superman fights Brainiac on the big-screen, and that they introduce Kandor. Let it be an epic space-romp with a tone somewhat akin to Thor Ragnarok.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The movie I want to see more than any other is a adaptation of Morrison's first Action arc, set in the 1930's, with a strong influx of Fleischer sensibilities.

Mid-range budget; no "we spent 7 trillion dollars on this movie and can't understand why it didn't make a profit!" bulls**t from WB. Keep it a little restrained, with a tight focus on the character, not what kind of cool effects you can get out of the character. I want a Superman film a little closer to Logan than Infinity War (without the R rating though, Superman is for everyone); give us some spectacle and some badass fight scenes where we get to see Clark bloody and bruised, absolutely, but I want more time spent on character work and interaction, a mystery or investigation for Clark Kent to be involved in, stuff like that.

I'd like to see Ultra-Humanite brought in as a secondary villain, built up for a potential sequel. And he has to have a giant robot for Clark to fight in the second Act, before the Collector of Worlds arrives for the real showdown.
    This sounds great until we get to Morrison's Collector of Worlds chapter. I'd rather extend the early Superman era (and thus work on getting Superman right without needing the higher sci-fi budget).

Start off with a slightly updated version of the guy in 1938's Action #1. Shrugs off most stuff short of military grade weaponry. Can't quite fly but between leaping to great height sand or distances and some creative use of his cape could maybe cover a mile or two combining a leap with a gliding descent. Strong enough to toss a car or twist a tank turret but not support a building or hurl even small objects for miles and miles. Good senses, maybe even X-ray vision but not hearing every cry in Metropolis (let alone on Earth) or heat vision blasts.

Let me see That Guy dealing with crime on a city level. No alien invasions blowing up blocks and leveling skyscrapers. No earthquakes or nukes aimed at California. Maybe some Intergang tugs with a handgun that hits like a bazooka without much recoil. Or a mad genius blackmailing the city with a virus (which Superman is effected by but is the only one who recovers from unaided).

Build up over a movie or two from that and end with "The K-Metal" where Superman copes with losing his powers, discovering the existence of kryptonite, and making a "sacrifice" in saving the city (which actually results in destroying the only existing piece of kryptonite and the restoration of his full powers). The movie ends with the reported death of Superman and Clark looking at his costume trying to decide if he is ready to return to action....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

A while back, I had an idea for a Superman cartoon which would be a kind of modernized take on the old Fleischer cartoons - blending elements of those cartoons, the early Golden Age Superman stories and some relatively more modern influences like Morrison and Byrne's run.

Much like how BTAS was set in a kind of anachronistic world with heavy Art Deco influences, this series would be set in a world with a kind of Depression-era aesthetic, albeit with some instances of modern technology. Superman would kind of resemble the younger New 52 version, but he'd be wearing the outfit from the Fleischer cartoon with the black background in the symbol. He'd have all his powers, including flight, but he'd be far from invincible and have noticeable limits. As for Clark Kent, he'd very much be an intrepid, crusading reporter, along with Lois - more George Reeves and Christopher Reeves for sure.

Here's my original post, if you want to take a look...

I'd like to see a 'Year One' style series about Superman's early career - with a blend of Golden Age aesthetics and modern elements.

It would be set ostensibly in the 'present-day' - albeit a somewhat anachronistic present day. Much like Batman TAS evoked the 40's, this show's version of Metropolis would evoke the 30's while still being set in the present-day and featuring present-day technology, and even some retro-futuristic technology. Earth 2 on the CW Flash show would actually be a good reference point for what I'm talking about. Also, I think 'Raygun Gothic' is the term I'm really looking for.

Superman's design would be like a cross between the New 52 version (specifically from Morrison's Action) and the Fleischer cartoons. The suit will be straight from the Fleischer cartoons (yes, even the black on the symbol rather than yellow) but Superman will have the younger appearance from the New 52 (while still looking fairly rugged).

Now in terms of characters and setting - we'd have Clark at the Daily Planet, so all the usual suspects are present. Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White et all. This is a younger Lois before her Pulitzer or any other major accolades - she's really hungry for a story and her initial interest in Superman is purely professional, though she gradually starts to become fascinated with him in a more romantic sense. I'd even keep the angle of Clark and Lois being rivals, with Lois initially being mean to Clark but gradually warming up to him as they realize they have a lot in common as journalists.

Now onto Superman. He's in his early twenties. He has all his powers but he's not all-powerful. A powerful enough explosion can hurt him, if only a little. Bullets may bounce off him but certain powerful energy weapons could really knock the wind out of him. He has to exert himself to life a huge oil tanker. He can fly, but he can't fly into space yet (at this point, he's never left the planet). In terms of personality, he's pretty tough and at the same time cool and collected. He can have a bit of a playful attitude to his job, but he's tough on criminals and villains. Above all, he's a man of action - always ready to charge into a situation. Sometimes he's a bit too headstrong and over-aggressive, confident that his powers can get the job done. He learns that its sometimes necessary to stay calm and assess the situation first. This is part of his gradual character development. He also initially is kinda like a vigilante of sorts. He avoids the media (other than interviews to Lois) and speaks to the authorities only if necessary (and again, with a vibe that he's in charge, rather than any deference - though gradually mutual trust and respect builds between Superman and the authorities). As Clark Kent, he's 'mild mannered' but still a pretty dedicated and tough reporter. His mild attitude belies his fiery spirit as a journalist - something which Lois finds misleading and annoys her when 'Smallville' keeps scooping her.

For villains I'd have Lex Luthor obviously. He's a scientist and corporate mogul who believes he 'owns' Metropolis and is resentful of their growing enchantment with Superman. Intergang would be a major presence in Metropolis as well. In addition, the likes of Parasite, Live Wire, Toyman, Metallo, Atomic Skull, Bizarro, Ultra-Humanite etc. will gradually make their appearances. Luthor mostly works in the background, orchestrating many schemes through his minions and subordinates while himself managing to stay clean. He initially tries to use his influence to turn the authorities against Superman and declare him a vigilante but is frustrated by the growing public support for him.

In terms of backstory - when the series begins, Superman has been around in Metropolis for around six months, but Clark Kent is just beginning his job at the Daily Planet (there can be a reference to him having briefly worked at the Daily Star ala the Morrison version). There will be the occasional flashback and exposition to fill out his backstory, but not a lot will be revealed initially. He gradually developed his powers through his teens. When he was around 15, he was shown the rocketship and saw Jor-El and Lara's message. He knows he's the sole survivor of Krypton but knows nothing beyond that of his heritage - other than the S symbol. The suit is made from Kryptonian materials from the ship and is indestructible. Johnathan Kent dies when Clark is around 18 and before he dies he asks Clark to use his powers to help mankind, which is Clark's immediate motivation to become Superman. Martha is still alive and well, and there might be the odd episode where Clark returns to Smallville and meets her, as well as Lana Lang and Peter Ross, but not often.

Finally, the finale of the second season would deal with Brainiac invading Earth, and a loose adaptation of Morrison's opening Action arc, mixed with Geoff John's 'Brainiac' story. Superman saves earth from Brainiac's invasion, is firmly renowned now as a global hero, and learns a lot more about his Kryptonian heritage. He gains access to Kryptonian tech that he uses to build the Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic. Finally, he gets a new suit or modifies the old one, making it brighter, and getting the yellow in the chest symbol rather than black.

After this point, from Season 3 onwards. The show would have a more Silver Age aesthetic (Metropolis is rebuilt after the invasion), and more stories inspired by the Silver Age and the modern era. There would definitely be more sci-fi and space-faring adventures and villains. The Lois and Clark relationship would gradually start to develop. Also, other superheroes start appearing and teaming up with Superman. Other developments could include Supergirl coming to earth, Luthor becoming a full-blown supervillain, etc.
    Last edited by bat39; 07-27-2018 at 02:27 AM.

BANNED

Some animated movie with Jon Kent...the story would be a challenge creatively as there isn't yet a definitive post-Reborn origin for him other than "he was conceived and born", I'd like to see the journey that takes Lois and Clark to parenthood.

Oh, and do an animated Superman Lives. Exactly as Jon Peters envisioned. I want my thangarian snare-beast, Brainiac vs Polar Bears, and my chewie!