Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would love to see a Superman movie set in 1938 that combined elements of Morrison's New 52 reboot and Tom Dehavelen's It's Superman! book.

I think it's important for the casual fan to understand Superman in the historical context in which he was created. Too many people seem to think he's always been this representative of the status quo. I'd like that to change.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Oh, and do an animated Superman Lives. Exactly as Jon Peters envisioned. I want my thangarian snare-beast, Brainiac vs Polar Bears, and my chewie!
    Yessssss....

Retired

KRYPTO, THE SUPER-DOG, as a live action (with CGI but not animated) movie could be a big hit for DC. It would be a backdoor for retrobooting the cinematic Superman--if we saw Krypton, outer space and Earth from the puppy's perspective. Maybe adapt some of Elliot Maggin's STARWINDS HOWL.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    Seeing this thread I thought it just meant real movies, not cartoons. But I am okay with that. Speaking of DC comics presents; I would like to see an animation show that was like that, with a different super hero teaming with SM each episode. Kind of like that BM cartoon a while back (my little kids still love that one with Music Maestro). I think that would be a lot of fun.

Or a cartoon where he teams up with Gojira and heads to Planet X.

As far as a real movie is concerned; I would like to see SM have an opportunity to turn loose all his might and powers. Maybe get snatched to a far away planet (along with Lois), and have to fight gladiator style similar to WWH.
    We're more likely to get the out of continuity stuff with the animated format. With WB wedded to the DCEU, it's not likely any of these will get made in live action.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The movie I want to see more than any other is a adaptation of Morrison's first Action arc, set in the 1930's, with a strong influx of Fleischer sensibilities.

Mid-range budget; no "we spent 7 trillion dollars on this movie and can't understand why it didn't make a profit!" bulls**t from WB. Keep it a little restrained, with a tight focus on the character, not what kind of cool effects you can get out of the character. I want a Superman film a little closer to Logan than Infinity War (without the R rating though, Superman is for everyone); give us some spectacle and some badass fight scenes where we get to see Clark bloody and bruised, absolutely, but I want more time spent on character work and interaction, a mystery or investigation for Clark Kent to be involved in, stuff like that.

I'd like to see Ultra-Humanite brought in as a secondary villain, built up for a potential sequel. And he has to have a giant robot for Clark to fight in the second Act, before the Collector of Worlds arrives for the real showdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    This sounds great until we get to Morrison's Collector of Worlds chapter. I'd rather extend the early Superman era (and thus work on getting Superman right without needing the higher sci-fi budget).

Start off with a slightly updated version of the guy in 1938's Action #1. Shrugs off most stuff short of military grade weaponry. Can't quite fly but between leaping to great height sand or distances and some creative use of his cape could maybe cover a mile or two combining a leap with a gliding descent. Strong enough to toss a car or twist a tank turret but not support a building or hurl even small objects for miles and miles. Good senses, maybe even X-ray vision but not hearing every cry in Metropolis (let alone on Earth) or heat vision blasts.

Let me see That Guy dealing with crime on a city level. No alien invasions blowing up blocks and leveling skyscrapers. No earthquakes or nukes aimed at California. Maybe some Intergang tugs with a handgun that hits like a bazooka without much recoil. Or a mad genius blackmailing the city with a virus (which Superman is effected by but is the only one who recovers from unaided).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I would love to see a Superman movie set in 1938 that combined elements of Morrison's New 52 reboot and Tom Dehaven's It's Superman! book.

I think it's important for the casual fan to understand Superman in the historical context in which he was created. Too many people seem to think he's always been this representative of the status quo. I'd like that to change.
    All y'all get together and make WB a pitch for their "Worlds of DC" low-budget multiverse movies, I want to see this! Fleischer, Morrison/Fisch and DeHaven all mixed together!

Maybe add some STAS Lois for balance, some material social realism for historicity and relevance, keep Luthor and Willie Berg well out of it, make sure to keep the Morrison/Fisch Jon Kent pretty much as-is, and you've basically got a recipe for the Superman movie I absolutely want to see most.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Some animated movie with Jon Kent...the story would be a challenge creatively as there isn't yet a definitive post-Reborn origin for him other than "he was conceived and born", I'd like to see the journey that takes Lois and Clark to parenthood.

Oh, and do an animated Superman Lives. Exactly as Jon Peters envisioned. I want my thangarian snare-beast, Brainiac vs Polar Bears, and my chewie!
    I would love to see both. Especially the later. Get Nick Cage to voice Supes for the gold.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    All y'all get together and make WB a pitch for their "Worlds of DC" low-budget multiverse movies, I want to see this! Fleischer, Morrison/Fisch and DeHaven all mixed together!

Maybe add some STAS Lois for balance, some material social realism for historicity and relevance, keep Luthor and Willie Berg well out of it, make sure to keep the Morrison/Fisch Jon Kent pretty much as-is, and you've basically got a recipe for the Superman movie I absolutely want to see most.
    So if not the Collector or Luthor (who I do think should be a background character; someone you might not even see but you hear about) who would be the villain? Intergang? Could be interesting, and hint at bigger things to come. Metallo? Would work with the Morrison source material (and I did enjoy that version). Parasite? There's a great horror story there, if anyone wanted to tell it. The 100 gang? Only if you use Black Lightning instead of Steel.

Or do you use society itself as the villain? Explore how a man's efforts to enact real, immediate change is met with resistance from all quarters, even when the change would be beneficial to them? Use Glenmorgan as the mouthpiece for the movement?

I'd totally do a treatment for a pitch, just for the lol's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

I find the animated adaptations of the comics leave out a lot of stuff and don't do justice to the stories that were told over several issues of a comic book. So I'm hesitant to suggest any comic book story lines that they should do in movies. As Warner owns HBO, I'd rather see a proper live action adaptation in TV form. ALL-STAR SUPERMAN would be better as an extended series.

Movie-wise, something like UNBREAKABLE would work for Superman--in one of their side realties like the announced Joker movie. Until M. Night does a proper Superman movie, I'm going to believe the Unbreakable Split Glass series is that thing.

Hard pass on any origin stories. Origin stories are essentially pressing the reset button, like quitting on working with the character because it's a little hard to get beyond a certain point.

As for live-action vs. animated, I would rather seem a series of good animated ones at this point, just because the likelihood of getting a good animated one seems greater than getting a good live-action. Morrison's New 52 T-shirt and jeans Supes would be at the top of my list right now. Granted, I just said no origin stories, but when I say Superman "origin" story, the idea in my mind is distinctly starting in Krypton, baby transported to Earth, Kents find him, and he starts Superman-ing. Morrison's Supes already started Superman-ing; he's just a bit younger, less powerful, and less formally dressed.

Incredible Member

Superman vs. Brainiac.

Lex Luthor and General Zod are not the only bad guys.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As Warner owns HBO, I'd rather see a proper live action adaptation in TV form. ALL-STAR SUPERMAN would be better as an extended series.
    That's a pretty big YES SIR from me on this idea, Jim. Don't know why I never coincided this. It kind of works perfectly since the comparatively limited budget works well for the subdued nature of Quitely's style in the source. He gave you just enough so that your mind filled it in bigger than it could ever possibly be. I'd probably most look forward to the Jimmy issue, the Lex/Clark issue, and the Bizarro world issue being adapted and realized.

I'm going to believe the Unbreakable Split Glass series is that thing.
    I mean, it is basically Superman, Lex, and schizophrenic Doomsday in a mental health institution to at least some degree, so on some level you're not wrong.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Something with Supergirl as an ally would be nice.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I want to see Jim Starlin's story from DC Comics Presents with Mongul, Supergirl, and the Spectre. That or just something with a miracle rescue, a day in the life of Metropolis with Mr. Mxyzptlk or the Parasite, a huge big bad battle with Braniac or Bizarro.

I would love to see Superman: American Alien on the big screen. Plus LOBO would be an awesome foil to Superman while also expanding his Universe from the usual suspects (Luther and Zod).

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I would honestly like to see Maggins Last Son and Miracle Monday animated or live action as long as it was done right.

Heck I'm still waiting on the whttmot animated adaptation.
    Last edited by Hopeful Hero; 07-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"