Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Runs you found disappointing

Has there ever been a Marvel book with creators attached to it that you were super hyped for, but it fell short of expectations?

Two recent runs come to mind. The first being Jim Zub on Thunderbolts. We finally had a return to the characters from the OG run we hadn’t seen in a while, like Atlas and Jolt near the end. What came out was incredibly mediocre to me. It felt like the same tired rehash of the original run with the same characters going through the same arc (See Beetle and Atlas). This book made me hate Erik Josten for how repetitive of a character he is. And why did Songbird have to be taken away from Al Ewing, just to regress her character back to being a fugitive instead of working her way to Avenger status? The ending was awful and shows no sign of being continued anytime soon. Made the whole book feel like a waste of time. Doesn’t help that Jon Malin’s art was horrid.

Another is Jason Aaron’s Avengers that’s coming out right now. I liked the line-up, but it feels like the same generic avengers story we’ve seen over and over again, which makes it worse after Hickman redefined the team. It doesn’t help how he butchered She-Hulk either, after Tamaki’s run did a lot of interesting things with her. Now she’s just Hulk with boobs. Give me a break. I dropped after issue 3.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

BANNED

Waid's Avengers. Dropped it pretty quick.

Remender's Uncanny Avengers. Had a pretty solid start and I rather liked the "cast", but the Apocalypse Twins crap just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged on for me. Plus the team didn't really seem to live up to it's mission statement. And then that "climactic finish" into AXIS was pretty "WTF". And Wanda gets stabbed twice; is this a fetish thing for Rick?

Amazing Member

Silver Surfer. I almost cried when I saw issue one. It was as if they had taken my favourite marvel character and ripped him apart. I liked nothing about the run. Apart from the art work on the Francavilla variant covers which were the most beautiful silver surfer covers ever. I never thought I would be glad to see a s.s run finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Waid's Avengers. Dropped it pretty quick.

Remender's Uncanny Avengers. Had a pretty solid start and I rather liked the "cast", but the Apocalypse Twins crap just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged on for me. Plus the team didn't really seem to live up to it's mission statement. And then that "climactic finish" into AXIS was pretty "WTF". And Wanda gets stabbed twice; is this a fetish thing for Rick?
    I can’t believe I forgot both of these. Both started off promising, but Waid’s fell off the rails when his relaunched, and Remender’s was destroyed by Axis and that High Evolutionary crap.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    Silver Surfer. I almost cried when I saw issue one. It was as if they had taken my favourite marvel character and ripped him apart. I liked nothing about the run. Apart from the art work on the Francavilla variant covers which were the most beautiful silver surfer covers ever. I never thought I would be glad to see a s.s run finish.
    You’re kidding.

You’d rather have a Surfer who’s a total Emo?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Waid's Avengers run.

I would also say Aaron's Avengers run but I knew it would be bad. Even from the announcement it was crystal clear that Jason Aaron doesn't have any interest writing the Avengers. He wants to write the team he wants, with the characterizations he wants with the shoe horned story he wants. Just with the Avengers name slapped on it.

I initially found Unstoppable Wasp very disappointing but changed my mind a lot since it first came out. I love rereading it now.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

The current Ant-Man and the Wasp run because the characters are pretty repulsive and difficult to care about. I am not looking forward to reading the last two issues. The first issue was really good, but it took a turn for the worst in my opinion.
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    Yeah, that entire thing just felt like a different character to me

I liked the idea,but not for the surfer

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    You’re kidding.

very much preferred his past iterations, especially the time around the Infinity events and that entire run really

Invincible Member

The first thing that came to mind was Coates Black Pamther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Waid's Avengers run.

I would also say Aaron's Avengers run but I knew it would be bad. Even from the announcement it was crystal clear that Jason Aaron doesn't have any interest writing the Avengers. He wants to write the team he wants, with the characterizations he wants with the shoe horned story he wants. Just with the Avengers name slapped on it.

I initially found Unstoppable Wasp very disappointing but changed my mind a lot since it first came out. I love rereading it now.
    Whilst there are parts of Aaron's Thor run I've liked, like janes story arc, overall I find it entirely out of character for the big names, especially thor himself, plus I don't like the treatment of Asgard at all, the gods are far too human and political on a human level for me, plus it's got the taste of having an agenda to the work imo

Overall my most irritating run in recent memory, and most terrible thor handling I've endured for such a time

it sells, so some love it to be fair
    Last edited by kilderkin; 07-24-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon by Kaare Andrews
    I was so looking forward to this series, then it finally arrived and I hated it. It really attacked so much of what I loved about the character and his backstory. Really just horrible.

The art was good, though.

Excalibur by Chris Claremont
    The Davis/Moore Captain Britain was one of my favourite heroes, and Rachel Summers was a character I was obsessed with in Uncanny X-Men, so the thought of two of my favourites on the same team was irresistible. I had hoped for a comic with well-balanced and complex characters, but unfortunately Claremont turned CB into a buffoon and Rachel (and Meggan) into much less complex characters. I hated it.

Alan Davis' art was beautiful, and the reason I continued to buy the book.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    You’re kidding.

I’m not really sure what a total emo is? I just didn’t like the run, it didn’t feel like the surfer to me. I’m not against change but the essence of the character should stay the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    I can’t believe I forgot both of these. Both started off promising, but Waid’s fell off the rails when his relaunched, and Remender’s was destroyed by Axis and that High Evolutionary crap.
    Yeah, and I totally forgot to mention Remender's second Uncanny Avengers. The only saving grace from that volume was Wanda's updated costume, which was really only drawn well by a few other artists.

Chuck Austen's X-Men.

It wasn't just that they were badly written books (because oh, man, were they ever!). This dude had three or four of my favorite characters at the time under his pen and just mangled most of them. I have rarely seen anyone miss the core themes of a character so badly as Austen did with Nightcrawler.