Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Soule's Astonishing X-men. Had a great first issue, but quickly became a derivative mess that didn't go anywhere new and left everybody at the same place they were before the series started. What's worse is that Soule probably thought he was being really groundbreaking while writing many of the same beats writers like Cullen Bunn had already done.

Currently, Aaron's Avengers. I absolutely loved his Mighty Thor, so I was really excited for his Avengers, but so far it's been one of the most boring takes on the team. The treatment of She-Hulk only makes things worse. They turned her into a mindless character who's only there to have her shirt "conveniently" ripped to expose her chest.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    But as for something that hasn't, does a miniseries count? Spider-verse is one that started strong and basically fell apart.

As a concept it was great, a bunch of Spider-man characters (those with spider-powers) being brought in to save their counterparts from Morlun sounds good..., on paper. And basically most of what came out of it was good, except the main book. The main book was absolute garbage and amounted to nothing to the pointless killing of MC2 Spider-man to whatever "the bride" is and why she matters at all. It was as if Dan Slott didn't know where to go with it and so we meander across several issues before anything happens, Peter Parker having killed Morlun and weakened him before all of a sudden doesn't know or doesn't mention how to stop this and he just lets the villains go.

Yes I know he doesn't kill (not usually anyways because Peter absolutely does otherwise this book can't happen). But these are genocidal murderers who subjugate universes and Peter is just going to let them go? So basically we wasted our time, but the ending wasn't satisfying in the least.

It was disappointing in that I know Dan Slott is a better writer than this. And then to have it revealed to have been in development for Superior Spider-man and I can't help but feel this would've been much better if it was for Superior Spider-man. The whole run felt like a waste and became "cameo:the comic" because that's all it was good for.
    I think that was one of if not the biggest issue with Spiderverse is how much Slott had to rework it from the story he planned on telling and the that he ended up writing; also moving Spiderverse inbetween "Original Sins" and "Secret War" seriously hurt that Amazing Spider-Man run as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Bendis Iron man is the most obvious. I've spoken at length of the problems it has.

But as for something that hasn't, does a miniseries count? Spider-verse is one that started strong and basically fell apart.

As a concept it was great, a bunch of Spider-man characters (those with spider-powers) being brought in to save their counterparts from Morlun sounds good..., on paper. And basically most of what came out of it was good, except the main book. The main book was absolute garbage and amounted to nothing to the pointless killing of MC2 Spider-man to whatever "the bride" is and why she matters at all. It was as if Dan Slott didn't know where to go with it and so we meander across several issues before anything happens, Peter Parker having killed Morlun and weakened him before all of a sudden doesn't know or doesn't mention how to stop this and he just lets the villains go.

Yes I know he doesn't kill (not usually anyways because Peter absolutely does otherwise this book can't happen). But these are genocidal murderers who subjugate universes and Peter is just going to let them go? So basically we wasted our time, but the ending wasn't satisfying in the least.

It was disappointing in that I know Dan Slott is a better writer than this. And then to have it revealed to have been in development for Superior Spider-man and I can't help but feel this would've been much better if it was for Superior Spider-man. The whole run felt like a waste and became "cameo:the comic" because that's all it was good for.
    I wasn't really keen on that volume of Amazing either. It had a few bright spots. But you could definitely tell that Superior was ended before its time. Which is strange given Superior was expanded from a planned six issue event. For me, Dan's run from Big Time to the end of Superior is absolutely one of the best Spidey runs. The stuff after? Not so much. Apart from a few good arcs.