Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    He's called Hydra Supreme, you've already gone down this route.
    That isn't his name, that's his rank.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, follow up is key. And I think that's where having a single writer have a long run on a book helps.

Millar made a pretty cool villain with Gorgon in the Wolverine Enemy of the State book. But then he immediately left the book, and no one really made that big a deal out of the character afterwards. Loeb created that Romulus character in Wolverine, but again he didnt' stick around and Romulus was never made that big a deal afterwards.

A villain being a writers "pet" character will at least give them a sustained push at the start. But because creative teams don't necessarily last, a lot of new characters basically get depushed once the writer who created them moves on.
    If you like Gorgon, check out Hickman's Secret Warriors. He was a major player in that book. And the villains got a ton of page time, so he gets a good deal of shine. We even get a partial look at his origin and recruitment into Hydra. And that is just a fantastic, very slept on series, besides. He was also in Bendis' New Avengers (to a lesser extent) and popped up in Hickman's Avengers.

I'll go with Mr. Negative and the Hood for my choices.

Marvel missed a chance to elevate someone when they killed Wolverine. It could have been someone new, or a preexisting character who steps up, but either way being the guy who killed Wolverine should have been a huge deal but wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That isn't his name, that's his rank.
    Actually Hydra Supreme was unique to Hydra Cap, traditionally the leader of Hydra is Supreme Hydra.

BANNED

Actually Hydra Supreme was unique to Hydra Cap, traditionally the leader of Hydra is Supreme Hydra.
    It's still not his name. Come on... What is the Hydra Supreme's name?

Stephen Rogers is what Madame Hydra called him.

Mister Negative was the only one that came to mind
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Hydra Cap is just evil Captain America.

Mirror Mirror Kirk is still just Captain Kirk, even if he is evil and wearing different clothes.

With recent trends its the heroes themselves who are battling each other.

I say Gorr the God-Butcher, his battle with Thor has caused Odinson's downfall and made him a drunk All-Father in the future.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 07-25-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

I would say:

Gorr.
    Mister Negative.
    Minotaur (Dario Agger)
    Black Order.
    Gorgon.
    The Hood.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 07-26-2018 at 04:12 AM.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Mister Negative is really the only one that comes to mind. His design truly is iconic (if a little similar to other monochrome characters) and he's really the only recent villain that I learned about through osmosis instead of following the book they appeared in, which I think counts for something.

I don't think of Gorr as iconic. I think the God-Butcher arc was entertaining but I didn't love it as much as others, and Gorr especially didn't make a huge impression on me. His design just isn't that memorable. He feels like a background character from the Fifth Element.

The Hood is the stand out to me he has potential for big and small stories. The other standout is The Void ,The threat level always feels high when it is mention.

In other people answers I think the Black Order could become something if they use it right. I like Gorgon when the were using him more as well. Just others to take into consideration for the future Yelena Belova and Intelligencia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Stephen Rogers is what Madame Hydra called him.
    It's fine if you don't consider Hydra Cap a sperate character (or whatever you view is) but I'd suggest you give it another read as you've gotten a lot of details wrong about him during this discussion. A lot of work (some good, some stupid) has been put into the character so he isn't as simple as an evil doppelganger trope and there's been a very strong impact from the character which what really matters in terms of the op.

A character I doubt I will see again but I though was interesting was The Unit from X-Men. As a lot of new villains suffer from being defeated over and over again to the point no one cares, however there could be some clever use from it since it's after Galactic peace in it's own way. So Unit can be used repeatedly as a supporting character with dubious intent to get the exposure new villains need to solidify their importance
    before an epic story.
    Last edited by jump; 07-26-2018 at 02:47 AM.

BANNED

It's fine if you don't consider Hydra Cap a sperate character..
    I have repeatedly said that he is a separate character.

But he is not even remotely an original character.

are there any iconic villains who are not either a mass murderer or serial killer in some form? Just wondering... sigh...

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Leviathan.