Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

*Double Post* DataBase Error
    Last edited by Izanami; 07-24-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I predict it will be a decade or so before someone picks up what's her name... *quick google check* Katie. Considering how Nadia has taken the position of the adopted daughter to Janet due to the MCU's influence and popularity Katie is irrelevant. Probably non-existent at this point in time.
    Seeing how Nomad and Jet have not been used when Secret Empire occurred, Katie left forgotten, and the Apocalypse Twins from what I can tell in Solicits for X-Men Black unimportant it seems current writers have no interest in these characters. Not to mention how horribly overpowered some of his OC's are. I know people with Synesthesia and you think that would be an interesting story exploring that but... it's just there to be weird and to be cool. They feel more like plot devices devoid of any personality. If you were to read them side by side what is the difference between Nomad and Uriel or Eimin and Jet? Especially arc wise?
    Hmm, good point, and yeah, CBR forums were messed up for me, too, yesterday. I would still like to see Katie come back, maybe as a new, futuristic Yellowjacket, taking up the mantle as a way to taunt her parents over "abandoning" her to Kang. It would be interesting to see her confront Nadia as well, since as you mentioned she's Janet's adoptive daughter now. As for Rick Remender's contributions to the Marvel mythos being cast aside . . . that is a shame, but I can somewhat understand it from the perspective you brought up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, good point, and yeah, CBR forums were messed up for me, too, yesterday. I would still like to see Katie come back, maybe as a new, futuristic Yellowjacket, taking up the mantle as a way to taunt her parents over "abandoning" her to Kang. It would be interesting to see her confront Nadia as well, since as you mentioned she's Janet's adoptive daughter now. As for Rick Remender's contributions to the Marvel mythos being cast aside . . . that is a shame, but I can somewhat understand it from the perspective you brought up.
    fair enough. personally, I'd rather her be a time-based villainess. only one of her parents was part of the Pym legacy. the bigger story (imo) is her being under Kang's care. I'm good with her being an adversary of Nadia though. it would be kind of an Atom/Chronos rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    fair enough. personally, I'd rather her be a time-based villainess. only one of her parents was part of the Pym legacy. the bigger story (imo) is her being under Kang's care. I'm good with her being an adversary of Nadia though. it would be kind of an Atom/Chronos rivalry.
    Oh, yeah, that could really work, now that you bring it up. Considering that the Microverse, a.k.a. the Quantum Realm, in the MCU is also connected to a time vortex, I could see that being incorporated into the comics, with Katie van Dyne-Summers harnessing the Pym particles that enable access to the Microverse to find and manipulate the time vortex.

What these Remender characters need are an actual personality and goals that don't revolve around servicing an "epic" story. They sadly feel like puppets on a stage meant to bring the audience from one plot point to the next. Their over the top powers contribute to the problem as well.

The Apocalypse Twins had moments in the story where they could show off their personalities, interests, and hobbies... but, all we know is just your standard warlord with daddy issues. They felt like a carbon copy of the Fenrir Twins but with a few tweaks. Once Planet X happened where was Ichisumi or Archangel? All that talk about family, resurrecting their "true" father, and saving the mutant race is not present. There was this emotional pay off that never happened and may never happen. We never see Ichisumi deal with her loss and regaining her children in a meaningful way. She is just there to service the twins plan and that is it. All that talk about resurrecting their father and he is nowhere to be seen in the x-council or by Eimin's side on Planet X. That would of been interesting to see. Would it have been the older or teenage version? Or would it have been both as Archangel?

With Katie, her entire presence is to make the reader forcefully attached to her. That is why she exudes innocence and naivety as soon as she is introduced. Had Remender edited and trimmed his arc we could have had moments were Janet and Katie bonded alongside Havok, but all of that is removed in the story. We never see Janet with Katie and we the readers never form that bond unlike Alex. Katie was just created to service Alex and to create a loss to move him forward. That is why Janet is also removed and put in danger. I would of liked to see Janet and Havok deal with the fall out and come to raise their child even if it consisted in flashbacks or an open narration before the issue kick starts.

That is why I find your comments intriguing. I would rather have her be an adversary to Janet and Nadia than be Havok's evil child over in X-Men. It will be Tyler Dayspring all over again. The one issue I have is if the writer may base her entire personality on revenge to the point that once it's gone they are devoid of anything else. Maybe she can be an adversary of Kang as well after learning the truth of what has happened. Those are just my ideas of course.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Those are pretty good ideas, actually, and excellent points about how characters should have personalities and driving goals beyond the plot du jour.