Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default DC finally collecting Grant Morrison's Action Comics run in one volume

Don't know if this is thread worthy, but I've been waiting on something like this. Will be coming out next April in a paperback format.
    https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=1401291058&page=1
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 07-24-2018 at 10:23 AM.

I was just gonna get all three trades but this is a much better deal!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Very nice, but is it really being collected as World Against Superman?
    Buh-bye

What a disappointment DC should have give this run the Deluxe treatment !

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Very nice, but is it really being collected as World Against Superman?
    Yeah, what the hell is this? That's the name of one issue, not a particularly important or prominent one, and it certainly doesn't describe the overarching plot against Vyndktvx very well or anything like that either. DC might as well have called it "Superman in Chains" for all the sense it makes.

Here's my question: are they still doing that dumb thing where they put all the back-up stories together at the end of the book? In this run more than perhaps any other I've read, that doesn't make a bit of sense. There's numerous stories where the back-up ties in to the theme or mood the primary story was conveying, and even one or two where the back-up story includes the conclusion to the plot of the primary story! The last thing I want to do is read it separately!

Heck, I was going to get my individual issues bound together in a hardcover form to circumvent this problem with the trades, and I still might go ahead and do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    What a disappointment DC should have give this run the Deluxe treatment!
    Definitely. For whatever reason, DC feels the need to repeatedly underestimate this story's importance and quality. Morrison gave them the perfect blueprint for making the Man of Steel work in the early 21st century and they basically just kept on ignoring it. It drives me nuts!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yeah the name cheeses me a bit too. It doesn't fit, and as a first impression to a reader, the title is a bastardization of the story Morrison told. The world isn't against Superman, as an origin they're just beginning to get to know him just as he's just learning to be a hero.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah the name cheeses me a bit too. It doesn't fit, and as a first impression to a reader, the title is a bastardization of the story Morrison told. The world isn't against Superman, as an origin they're just beginning to get to know him just as he's just learning to be a hero.
    Yeah, it makes it sound like it's a story like Dawn of Justice where the central conflict is between Superman and the World, where they're not sure they trust him and he's not sure he trusts himself, or if he trusts them, or neither and that's just... not at all accurate for more than like, half an issue of Morrison's run. It makes it sound like Morrison's Action is a totally different kind of story than it is!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

LOL, Random House indeed.

But the listing information is wrong in other spots, so who knows. I prefer the single issue version for accessibility, but if it's well priced and by some chance color corrects that hideous Oliver issue (which isn't listed) I'd jump on.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The best I can reason is that it's a brawler Superman who winds up fighting about a dozen or so villains over the course of the epic, but yeah, it's hard not to read this as simply being deliberately misleading.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's not that far out so much as just strangely inadequate. I mean Superman goes up against a figurative multitude of villains as well as a literal multitude. He even goes against the Met PD and a chunk of the citizens. For a year and a half stretch, it really hits him with the closest to everything.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

There's no way an 18 issue trade (with Morrison's name on it, no less!) is only $16.99... expect an updated solicit in the neighborhood of $29.99 - $34.99
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Cool to see this get collected, but I'm a bit mixed on that title.