Default Your Favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series?

From what I could count from the research I did, there's been at least 8 different ongoing monthly TMNT series over the years. A couple from Mirage, the Archie series, Image and IDW.

Which one is your personal favorite? I read some of the original Mirage series as a kid, along with the Archie series. Now I've just started the current IDW series.

Which one did you like the best?

The first few years of the original Mirage series are sublime. I go back and re-read them at least once a year. The 1990 film and 2003 cartoon are great adaptations, as well. Nothing else really comes close, in my opinion.

I have a great respect for the Mirage material (the Eastman & Laird stuff anyway.) But for the modern fan, the IDW series is a little better. The team there has done a great job incorporating bits from every iteration of TMNT. It is a bit of a slow burn and you have to read all of the micro series to make it great, but as a whole it has such a good flow. I'm doing a IDW reread right now and i'm up to City Fall part 2. They even make Neutrinos work, they deserve a lot of credit just for that.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The original Mirage run up through issue 21/22 + City at War #48-60 are what the base of the characters are about. It's classic for several reasons.
    My second favorite run is the current IDW series. It has successfully taken elements of all versions, even to some degree the Image one, and made a comprehensive TMNT universe. As noted the Neutrinos are incorporated in a way that works alongside thematic players like Shredder, Rat King, Kang and time traveler Renet(who we need to see again imo).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Yup, the original Mirage run and the current IDW run are 1-2 for me

Astonishing Member

Out of nostalgic reasons i have to say the first Eastman and Laird stuff plus City at War. Buuuuutttt the current series is so damn good, it is really better. Its a wonder how all the seams fit together in that series, and how amazingly good written it is. They make everything work and that for over 80 issues.

To be fair: Idws TMNT is the best

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

I've been a huge Turtles fan since I was a little kid and I've greatly enjoyed the various series my favorite two series are Archie's TMNT Adventures and IDW's current Turtles series.

TMNT Adventures has a special place in my heart as it was the very first comic book series that I read as an ongoing series and I'm glad that IDW has been reprinting them in collections as it give my original copies a rest. I read them so much as a kid that several of them started to fall apart and many of them I'd re bought but it's harder to find certain issues. It's ironic that Archie canceled Adventures on the grounds that it was getting "too mature" for them considering the books they publish today.

What I love about the IDW series is how it's like an Ultimate Universe take on the Turtles and brings in elements from all the various incarnations of the franchise. I stopped reading it as a monthly series and now only pick up the Ultimate Collections as they include both the monthly series along with the various mini-series and put them in reading order so that you get to read the how story. I think the only thing that's not included are the Team ups with Batman for licensing issues.

Also question for everyone is anyone else checking out the new Urban Legends title that's re-printing the hard to get Image series in color? I've enjoyed it so far and wanted to see what other people thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    What I love about the IDW series is how it's like an Ultimate Universe take on the Turtles and brings in elements from all the various incarnations of the franchise. I stopped reading it as a monthly series and now only pick up the Ultimate Collections as they include both the monthly series along with the various mini-series and put them in reading order so that you get to read the how story. I think the only thing that's not included are the Team ups with Batman for licensing issues.

Also question for everyone is anyone else checking out the new Urban Legends title that's re-printing the hard to get Image series in color? I've enjoyed it so far and wanted to see what other people thought of it.
    Agreed on how the IDW series pulls from everywhere. And they do it masterfully. I also plan on transitioning over to just the ultimate collections. I plan on getting to #100 and then making the switch (I've followed with singles up to this point). I figure if it goes past 100, I'll make the switch then, but have the first hundred in singles, which is rare these days.

There've been comments in the main Turtles thread about people enjoying the Urban Legends series. I've yet to read any of the issues.