Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Yeah. Good work to admins and backend people!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

We appreciate all the work you guys did getting the forums back to normal. Thanks a lot.

And... things are slow again.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Retired

If it ever went back to normal on my end, it must've been when I was out, because it's just as slow as it has been for the last several days.

edit: but I do enjoy watching the model of a hydrogen atom as I wait for the website to do its business.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Yep, painfully slow again.
    Maybe we are seeing what happens without Net Neutrality?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, because if that were the case, why would it affect only the CBR Forums and not any other website? Google, Facebook, CNN, and other V-Bulletin forums similar to CBR...all working normally for me. It's just the CBR Forums.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Darn, it was back too normal when I was up late last night. Now the same old problems. Now when I post using the reply button, and then after completing it, I get switched to the advanced edit screen. But I just use the back button and get out of it. I do see my post makes it to the forum.

Two weeks now that the forum has problems.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Is CBR running the latest version of V-Bulletin? Perhaps that's what's necessary? In the past, upgrading to the newest version of V-Bulletin often eliminated such problems.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    No, because if that were the case, why would it affect only the CBR Forums and not any other website? Google, Facebook, CNN, and other V-Bulletin forums similar to CBR...all working normally for me. It's just the CBR Forums.

In addition, that would not create the double posts that only seem to be happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Is CBR running the latest version of V-Bulletin? Perhaps that's what's necessary? In the past, upgrading to the newest version of V-Bulletin often eliminated such problems.
    While a good idea in general (especially since the server needs maintenance and attention in any case), it need not fix the problems here.

Here are my takes on possible causes for these issues; I'm sure the techies running the site could come up with more, and more specific ones, and are looking into them.

Database backend is having issues. vBulletin depends on an SQL server and database. The database is dedicated to our forum; the SQL server might be shared (though I doubt it is). The database backend may run either on the same server as the vBulletin software or on a separate server. The database server might be having performance issues, or there is networking issues between the database server and the vBulletin server. (Note: we don't seem to have any issues with data integrity, which is very good.)

vBulletin server is having issues. Reinstalling and upgrading vBulletin on the same server and configuration might solve this, but if it's related to server hardware or virtual machine configuration, then only a replacement of the underlying machine will help.

Outbound networking is having issues. This can be poor routing or something else. Somewhere a lot of packets are getting lost or get other cause to be retransmitted. That might explain the double posting issues. It is also arguably the trickiest issue to diagnose, since the cause is often not in a single component but in how two or more components interact with each other.
    Last edited by kjn; 08-10-2018 at 02:29 AM.

I was sort of joking about Net Neutrality being a cause. But to clarify, this is exactly what losing Net Neutrality will do. The IP companies can choose to slow down any site they choose. It won't matter what Google forums or CNN has, They can slow down all or part of CBR alone.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I couldn't even get here for the last 33 minutes.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Servers were completely down for a while, but it seems to be working better again. Let’s see how long this lasts.

EDIT: Still takes a damn long time to post and it did the double post thing again. Looks like browsing is the only thing that sped up a bit.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-10-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

That's strange. I'm not having any issues here now.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules