Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It seems down more than up for me.
    it has been really slow

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don't want to pile on, but the technical glitches on the Forums lately are getting to the point that it's not worth the trouble of coming here anymore. I hope they get resolved soon, otherwise I think you are going to see a pretty rapid decline in users.

Good luck in fixing whatever problem you are having.

The fix the techs did worked for a bit but the issues but they do seem to be back. I'll switch off the forums for a bit and rebuild some tables and things. That sometimes worked in the past.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Alright. I turned the forums off, ran some maintenance tools and closed some really long threads.
    Hopefully that'll help things a little.

Just for the sake of clarification, the volunteer mods (including conn and myself) have no access to the physical server the forums are hosted on so what we can do is limited. We send tech requests in to the main website staff and they do their best (and they have been great) to get it sorted. I've been on these forums for ... jeez ... around twenty years and these issues crop up from time to time and they are a right nuisance to track down and rectify.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

Alright. I turned the forums off, ran some maintenance tools and closed some really long threads.
    Hopefully that'll help things a little.

Just for the sake of clarification, the volunteer mods (including conn and myself) have no access to the physical server the forums are hosted on so what we can do is limited. We send tech requests in to the main website staff and they do their best (and they have been great) to get it sorted. I've been on these forums for ... jeez ... around twenty years and these issues crop up from time to time and they are a right nuisance to track down and rectify.
    @Matt_of_Geek

Doesn't look like anything has changed. I hope those threads can be reopened before we get dozens and dozens of continuation threads.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-04-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Doesn't seem to have done the trick. Pages are still slow to load and it takes a while to post.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't want to pile on, but the technical glitches on the Forums lately are getting to the point that it's not worth the trouble of coming here anymore. I hope they get resolved soon, otherwise I think you are going to see a pretty rapid decline in users.

Good luck in fixing whatever problem you are having.
    For what it's worth, I can probably live with the clunky aspect if it comes along with the interesting points of view.

I'd kind of prefer the lag or a simple moratorium on posting until things get resolved over most threads getting shut down and tons of new threads appearing as continuations, personally. Because it's now clear that the long threads being open aren't related to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'd kind of prefer the lag or a simple moratorium on posting until things get resolved over most threads getting shut down and tons of new threads appearing as continuations, personally. Because it's now clear that the long threads being open aren't related to the problem.
    On the "Troubleshooting" end, I have had about half as many messages try to double post since some of those longer threads were closed.

No telling if it's actually related.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On the "Troubleshooting" end, I have had about half as many messages try to double post since some of those longer threads were closed.

No telling if it's actually related.
    I just think nothing has changed. Most likely related to the server and the content of the forums has no impact.

The content does actually have an impact, or did in a past instance. You see, every time a thread is opened then the server opens up every entry in that thread - values for every post. The more posts, the more values, the greater the server load.
    I've only just closed those reeeeaally long threads so there won't be any benefit straight away but once they fade away into the back pages of forums and the server no longer has to keep calling on them - then we might see some improvement.

Or not.

It helped once a few years back. It was worth a shot now.

Regardless, tracking down performance issues is tricky. It's a pain. It's time consuming because it could be just about anything.
    @Matt_of_Geek

Yeah. I get that. I just don't think that's the case in this circumstance. Plus, all of the locked threads are no longer on the "New Posts" page and nothing's changed.

No thread should ever be over 100 pages, that's kind of ridiculous really.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The content does actually have an impact, or did in a past instance. You see, every time a thread is opened then the server opens up every entry in that thread - values for every post. The more posts, the more values, the greater the server load.
    I've only just closed those reeeeaally long threads so there won't be any benefit straight away but once they fade away into the back pages of forums and the server no longer has to keep calling on them - then we might see some improvement.

Or not.

It helped once a few years back. It was worth a shot now.

Regardless, tracking down performance issues is tricky. It's a pain. It's time consuming because it could be just about anything.
    Are you closing all the threads with more than 100-200 pages? Because there's quite a few long threads on X-Books that haven't been closed.