Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

I only had time to skim the first pages of various forums. I'll see how this goes and get to them when time allows.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    No thread should ever be over 100 pages, that's kind of ridiculous really.
    Eh, I disagree. The old forums had like four appreciation threads for characters and things got really confusing because no one knew when it was the right time to make a new thread and there were still people posting in the old ones.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Are you closing all the threads with more than 100-200 pages? Because there's quite a few long threads on X-Books that haven't been closed.
    Same on the Batman tread. I noted some long Appreciation threads [and a couple of smaller ones] are being closed down while other long ones are still up and running. Not sure how it's determined which thread warrants a shut down and which doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    No thread should ever be over 100 pages, that's kind of ridiculous really.
    Appreciation Threads tend to be and rightly so otherwise it gets messy.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    For what it's worth, I can probably live with the clunky aspect if it comes along with the interesting points of view.
    Agreed. I have no desire to stop coming to CBR. I've been here since 1995 when it was still called the Kingdom Come Message Board

However, if an old grizzled vet like myself is becoming discouraged to even try to load up the Forums, I would imagine that most newcomers will leave and never return. That would be a bad thing for the long-term health of the CBR Forums.

I also know that the admins and mods here, of whom I was one for a few years, are completely unpaid fans who devote far too much of their own personal time to make this place nice for the rest of us don't get near enough credit for the endless parade of crap they have to deal with. I hope everything gets resolved soon and give my thanks to everyone that keeps CBR running.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Alright. I turned the forums off, ran some maintenance tools and closed some really long threads.
    Hopefully that'll help things a little.

Just for the sake of clarification, the volunteer mods (including conn and myself) have no access to the physical server the forums are hosted on so what we can do is limited. We send tech requests in to the main website staff and they do their best (and they have been great) to get it sorted. I've been on these forums for ... jeez ... around twenty years and these issues crop up from time to time and they are a right nuisance to track down and rectify.
    I really appreciate the effort that you and the admins put in here. However, I'm not sure if the large threads are the main culprit. To me, it seems more like there is a bottleneck related to the server somewhere; the trouble isn't delivering the data but in the lag to start sending it. It might be in the server or in the network infrastructure around it.

But yes, these sort of intermittent and performance-related issues are a pain to track down.

Post 109:
    Alright. I turned the forums off, ran some maintenance tools and closed some really long threads.

Just for the sake of clarification, the volunteer mods (including conn and myself) have no access to the physical server the forums are hosted on so what we can do is limited. We send tech requests in to the main website staff and they do their best (and they have been great) to get it sorted. I've been on these forums for ... jeez ... around twenty years and these issues crop up from time to time and they are a right nuisance to track down and rectify.
    Post 110:

Dang, we know there's a problem when even the mod gets a double-post!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Same on the Batman tread. I noted some long Appreciation threads [and a couple of smaller ones] are being closed down while other long ones are still up and running. Not sure how it's determined which thread warrants a shut down and which doesn't.
    The Appreciation threads tend to have a lot of images on them which are hard to load even in the best of times. But if closing all 200 page threads regardless will make it better, I'm all for that democratic solution. However, as yet, I don't see any difference from yesterday. Still long loading times--but I've learned to be patient.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-05-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Something's changed, no lagging while navigating to each page or thread.

It's better right now. Still slow, but not terribly slow.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Seems to be loading much faster now.

EDIT: Still takes forever to post.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Retired

Well for me--10:02 AM PDT, Firefox--posting is much more difficult than it was yesterday--it seems to think I'm trying to post multiple times when I submt only once.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

4:21 PM EST, Chrome - I see zero improvement. This was not worth it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Yeah, closing down the large threads has done nothing. I'm all for it if it works, but thus far it hasn't alleviated the symptoms. Only thing that's really been resolved for me is the actual database errors, those stopped sometime last week. But everything from loading a forum, loading an individual thread, and posting is still painfully slow. Nothing's changed there. This is on any browser. Edge, Firefox, Chrome, doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-05-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

This reminds me of kabam and MCOC where you are always getting problems connecting to server messages and lags to the point that playing the game is a Herculean labor or a masochist endeavor. Still it wouldn't have bothered me but then the App started burning the phones batteries and I had to uninstall the game.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 08-06-2018 at 12:11 AM.