Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Thanos was a dead man walking. All it took was one blow. Had he not had the Gauntlet, that would have been it, and Thor was perfectly capable of killing him instantly with a blow to the head, but he made the mistake of not doing it. Superman knocked Steppenwolf around but didn't take him out. Wonder Woman and Aquaman's blows from their weapons caused him more physical pain.

There isn't much difference here. Thor could have defeated the Big Bad all by himself, the fact that he didn't was down to a mistake that had nothing to do with his power level in comparison to the other Avengers.
    With an ave specifically designed for the job that it almost killed him to get a hold of after Thanos had already beaten him once Superman just turns up and BA-DA-BING!

Dead man walking ignores the fact Thanos could have just wound back time ten seconds and avoided the surprise attack.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Spectacular Member

I pretty much expected what happened. League got trashed, Batman was way more relevant because popularity than makes sense, Wonder Woman was given some props but still lost. It's a Superman story, so it was kinda expected. But man, the League hasn't had an onscreen win since, what, War? They've basically been used to push the protagonists of whatever film they appear in lately.

I'm really not surprised though. WW gets jobbed out of everything these days. When was the last time we saw WW have an epic fight with a high level villain or a good H2H showing?...

It's been a while.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    I'm really not surprised though. WW gets jobbed out of everything these days. When was the last time we saw WW have an epic fight with a high level villain or a good H2H showing?...

It's been a while.
    If we are talking animated movies, probably not since Crisis on a Two Earths.

She threw down pretty well with Ares in her own movie, and did well against DD in BVS.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mighty Member

Why does every little thing need to be critiqued? No wonder people don't enjoy anything. Wonder Woman isn't expected to pull a win in a movie focused on SUPERMAN. She put up more of a fight than any of her peers. But that wasn't the point of the movie.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Why does every little thing need to be critiqued? No wonder people don't enjoy anything. Wonder Woman isn't expected to pull a win in a movie focused on SUPERMAN. She put up more of a fight than any of her peers. But that wasn't the point of the movie.
    I enjoyed Wonder Woman.

What folks are saying is that if Wonder Woman is supposed to be Superman's equal but she isn't ALLOWED to win, don't put her in the movie. Her job description is not to prop up Superman to show how much more awesome he is.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I enjoyed Wonder Woman.

What folks are saying is that if Wonder Woman is supposed to be Superman's equal but she isn't ALLOWED to win, don't put her in the movie. Her job description is not to prop up Superman to show how much more awesome he is.

It's not in Hawkman's or Flash's job description either. Doomsday is a mindless, raging and feral brute of raw strength. I have no problems with it being able to take out the whole Justice League. I feel like if people feel so strongly about this, then maybe they should quit comics? I mean this type of thing happens all the time in this medium.You can't be propped up to show how one is awesome and then die. That doesn't even make sense. Each member served their purpose and failed. That's okay. It wasn't about them in the first place. If you're going to have Wonder Woman beat Doomsday, then you might as well call the movie something else. I'm really trying to get into the character and i hope the fanbase isn't as overly critical about everything as seen here.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Mighty Member

I enjoyed Wonder Woman.

It's not in Hawkman's or Flash's job description either. Doomsday is a mindless, raging and feral brute of raw strength. I have no problems with it being able to take out the whole Justice League. I feel like if people feel so strongly about this, then maybe they should quit comics? I mean this type of thing happens all the time in this medium.You can't be propped up to show how one is awesome and then die. That doesn't even make sense. Each member served their purpose and failed. That's okay. It wasn't about them in the first place. If you're going to have Wonder Woman beat Doomsday, then you might as well call the movie something else. I'm really trying to get into the character and i hope the fanbase isn't as overly critical about everything as seen here.

Mighty Member

Most likely cause people are tired to see that Wonder Woman isn't allowed to win at all if Supes is involved(almost always at least), regerdless if it's about him or not. A League of One for example was a Wonder Woman-centric story in which she dealt one by one and with tricks(not just took them head on all at once) with the rest of the JL and now you can guess what happened with Supes, you guessed right if you thought that they used even that WW-centric story to show how awesome Supes is in comparison to all these other peasants including WW herself(and if you then also add the hot garbage in the DCEU and Injustice should it be obvious why people are pissed)...
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-31-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Mighty Member

Most likely cause people are tired to see that Wonder Woman isn't allowed to win at all if Supes is involved(almost always at least), regerdless if it's about him or not. A League of One was a Wonder Woman-centric story in which she dealt one by one and with tricks(not just took them head on all at once) with the rest of the JL and now you can guess what happened with Supes, you guessed right if you thought that they used even that WW-centric story to show how awesome Supes is in comparison to all these other peasants including WW herself(and if you then also add the hot garbage in the DCEU and Injustice should it be obvious why people are pissed)...
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-31-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It's not in Hawkman's or Flash's job description either. Doomsday is a mindless, raging and feral brute of raw strength. I have no problems with it being able to take out the whole Justice League.
    And that's fine you feel that way. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who frequent the Superman forum who like the idea that Superman is more powerful than every other member of the League combined.

I feel like if people feel so strongly about this, then maybe they should quit comics? I mean this type of thing happens all the time in this medium.You can't be propped up to show how one is awesome and then die. That doesn't even make sense. Each member served their purpose and failed. That's okay. It wasn't about them in the first place. If you're going to have Wonder Woman beat Doomsday, then you might as well call the movie something else. I'm really trying to get into the character and i hope the fanbase isn't as overly critical about everything as seen here.
    Oh, don't worry. You will NEVER see Wonder Woman beat Doomsday. BVS is as close as that will ever be to a reality.

But if WW fans seem 'picky' to you then the reason is simple - a lot of them [us] are weary of seeing Diana given lip service about being Superman's equal but it never really gets shown.

The point is, Doomsday ONLY shows up in Superman stories, and therefore by default ONLY Superman is allowed to beat him. There would never be a story written where DD turned up in a Wonder Woman story without Superman present and she straight up won.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    I pretty much expected what happened. League got trashed, Batman was way more relevant because popularity than makes sense, Wonder Woman was given some props but still lost. It's a Superman story, so it was kinda expected. But man, the League hasn't had an onscreen win since, what, War? They've basically been used to push the protagonists of whatever film they appear in lately.
    Yeah, I've had a similar frustration with the series. I thought the Titans and Dark movies were particularly bad offenders. I guess Atlantis is technically just as bad, but it was the first time the League played second fiddle. The second- and third-offenders get punished harder. Perhaps the one mitigating factor for this film is that it's technically a Superman film and not a Justice League film, but I'm not actively thinking about the title when the movie is playing.

If we are talking animated movies, probably not since Crisis on a Two Earths.

She threw down pretty well with Ares in her own movie, and did well against DD in BVS.
    Your opinion tbh. Not everyone saw it that way.

Spectacular Member

Well, like I noted this has been happening to the League a lot in the animated films. It's sorta become trite in fact, figure out your protagonist(s)[Aquaman, Teen Titans, Justice League Dark, Superman] and then have some of the Justice League show up, either to be unable to overcome the bad guy, or get mind controlled so the protagonist(s) can show how awesome they are by beating the main League. Wonder Woman incidentally, has shown up in all 4 of these films and had that happen. So, fans of her are probably just tired of the overuse of it.

I'm not sure I'd say the fanbase is any more overly critical than any other as well. If we see Superman get a beat down by whoever the villain is in the upcoming Wonder Woman Bloodlines, I'd bet the Superman board would probably have a few complaints as well. It's the nature of things. Although frankly I'd bet against that happening anyway.

Fantastic Member

Default WW didn't have to beat Doomsday

It was the way she was portrayed, there could have been many creative ways she could have been taken out, even if the sword could have cut through Doomsday.

In my opinion, this movie would have been better if Superman died in hands of Doomsday WHILE fighting with the Justice League got to him; Superman badly injuring Doomsday in the process as well

And as far as critiquing the movie, it is strictly our business to do and not do so, and people really don't have to explain to anyone why is so even if people are in favor of it or not. I actually liked the fight sequences of the movie, and the way they portrayed the toughness of Diana is pretty good, even being able to block Doomsday attack (but the sword scene should have never happened; it's such a silly thing to think that only by removing the sword can Doomsday beat WW)--I just thought the writing was really bad. And comparing the comics to the movie isn't an accurate depiction. The animated movie had far more powerful members and more iintelligent and no so hot headed warriors, not too mention they were ALL present, attacking Doomsday

And I don't agree either making Superman look weak just so WW can shine either. It's all about writing. Just look at the inconsistency in BVS superman on how they treated WW compared to Justice League when the League had to fight Superman.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 07-31-2018 at 01:14 PM.