Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Your opinion tbh. Not everyone saw it that way.
    Seemed that way all six times I saw it
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    It was the way she was portrayed, there could have been many creative ways she could have been taken out, even if the sword could have cut through Doomsday.

In my opinion, this movie would have been better if Superman died in hands of Doomsday WHILE fighting with the Justice League got to him; Superman badly injuring Doomsday in the process as well

And as far as critiquing the movie, it is strictly our business to do and not do so, and people really don't have to explain to anyone why is so even if people are in favor of it or not. I actually liked the fight sequences of the movie, and the way they portrayed the toughness of Diana is pretty good, even being able to block Doomsday attack (but the sword scene should have never happened; it's such a silly thing to think that only by removing the sword can Doomsday beat WW)--I just thought the writing was really bad. And comparing the comics to the movie isn't an accurate depiction. The animated movie had far more powerful members and more iintelligent and no so hot headed warriors, not too mention they were ALL present, attacking Doomsday

And I don't agree either making Superman look weak just so WW can shine either. It's all about writing. Just look at the inconsistency in BVS superman on how they treated WW compared to Justice League when the League had to fight Superman.
    Regarding the breaking sword, I kind of link the origin of WW's sword to Kingdom Come. At the very least, I tend to think that that particular story popularized the sword. In any event, I'm pretty sure the sword ended up breaking in the sequel, so I don't attribute unbreakability to the sword. Sure, it can shave an electron off an atom, but it's not unbreakable like her bracers.

Looking back at the original DoS story in the comics, I sometimes wonder if the reason the Justice League Junior Varsity team was featured was because the entire point of the showdown was that Doomsday beat everyone else who was thrown in front of him, and the only thing that was going to stop him from ripping up Metropolis was a Superman who didn't hold back anything in his punches, nut Superman was going to die in the process. You don't have to address the question about how the combined might of the real heavy hitters would fare against the beast (though later stories did). If you substitute in the "real" JL, something's gotta give. You either change the basic framework of the story, or the rest of the team have to go down. I guess the one mitigating factor is that while Superman did kill Doomsday (sort of, since DD can't really die), he had to die. The other JL teammates "only" go KO'd but lived.

There's almost no middle ground here. It's pretty hard to make a story where the entire team engages Doomsday, WW (or whoever) gets to stand as tall as Superman, Superman kills the beast, and Superman dies in the process. BvS tried, but that came short. At the very least, a Double KO is easier to write for. Anything else, and it'd likely seem like Superman had to die needlessly.

Which brings me back to my original point: avoid DoS retellings. If not for the redundancy, then at least nobody has to tank a fight to tell a story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Regarding the breaking sword, I kind of link the origin of WW's sword to Kingdom Come. At the very least, I tend to think that that particular story popularized the sword. In any event, I'm pretty sure the sword ended up breaking in the sequel, so I don't attribute unbreakability to the sword. Sure, it can shave an electron off an atom, but it's not unbreakable like her bracers.

Looking back at the original DoS story in the comics, I sometimes wonder if the reason the Justice League Junior Varsity team was featured was because the entire point of the showdown was that Doomsday beat everyone else who was thrown in front of him, and the only thing that was going to stop him from ripping up Metropolis was a Superman who didn't hold back anything in his punches, nut Superman was going to die in the process. You don't have to address the question about how the combined might of the real heavy hitters would fare against the beast (though later stories did). If you substitute in the "real" JL, something's gotta give. You either change the basic framework of the story, or the rest of the team have to go down. I guess the one mitigating factor is that while Superman did kill Doomsday (sort of, since DD can't really die), he had to die. The other JL teammates "only" go KO'd but lived.

There's almost no middle ground here. It's pretty hard to make a story where the entire team engages Doomsday, WW (or whoever) gets to stand as tall as Superman, Superman kills the beast, and Superman dies in the process. BvS tried, but that came short. At the very least, a Double KO is easier to write for. Anything else, and it'd likely seem like Superman had to die needlessly.

Which brings me back to my original point: avoid DoS retellings. If not for the redundancy, then at least nobody has to tank a fight to tell a story.
    Pretty much this.

If you have the full power A team League mashed by Doomsday and then Superman beats him one on one, you are unavoidably saying that Superman is tougher than every other member put together.

At which point everyone else becomes Superman's sidekick [instead of Batman's, but that's another discussion ]
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Pretty much this.

If you have the full power A team League mashed by Doomsday and then Superman beats him one on one, you are unavoidably saying that Superman is tougher than every other member put together.

At which point everyone else becomes Superman's sidekick [instead of Batman's, but that's another discussion ]
    Not to mention, now Superman's punches is the only thing that can injure Doomsday, which now means that Clark is also immune to WW's sword. Wow...they would have not even give WW this one..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Not to mention, now Superman's punches is the only thing that can injure Doomsday, which now means that Clark is also immune to WW's sword. Wow...they would have not even give WW this one..lol
    Well, technically speaking, Doomsday didn't go down until Superman broke his neck (which I fully believe to be a nod/joke about MoS and all the outrage that came with it).

I think WW did well during her fight with Doomsday she last longer than her teammates, if WW did beat Doomsday then whats the point of having Superman if she beat him, this film focuses on Superman so he will be the one to defeat Doomsday, It seems like that if Wonder Woman struggle, lose a fight, or show some incompetence, then some fans would get upset and act like DC has it out for her. I am fine with the way the movie execute it, she lasted long and did some couple of damages on Doomsday.

I don't think it's so much about WW beating Doomsday or anything like that. It's more about WW being sidelined and butchered in almost everything where Superman (and Batman) are involved. We don't really have moments where WW is the one to save the day in a big event. She's just sidelined and I think it ticks people off.

Astonishing Member

This is DoS, it wouldn't matter how formidable all the JLers are written, Doomsday will always be Superman's kill, resulting in his own death. That is the story. Fundamentally, it can't be changed regardless of what fans want. I thought WW did well under the circumstances, she did last longer.

I'm trying to understand the complaints in this thread. I have never read WW so I am largely ignorant of her history. Are people mad because she hasn't been shown as being equally strong although DC claims she is (basically they're all talk and no show)?
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 08-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    This is DoS, it wouldn't matter how formidable all the JLers are written, Doomsday will always be Superman's kill, resulting in his own death. That is the story. Fundamentally, it can't be changed regardless of what fans want. I thought WW did well under the circumstances, she did last longer.

I'm trying to understand the complaints in this thread. I have never read WW so I am largely ignorant of her history. Are people mad because she isn't been shown as being equally strong although DC claims she is (basically they're all talk and no show)?
    Personally, I think it would've been best if WW never showed up in this movie. I mean, it's a Superman film so of course everyone not named Superman is going to be sidelined and that's exactly what happened. As for DC's claims on WW...yes, it has been all talk and no show for years now. They keep claiming she's the best fighter, she's so smart and all of that but they never really show it. It's all lip service. Didn't Geoff Johns say she was the best fighter in the DCEU? Umm...where is that? We haven't gotten anything to claim that she is besides empty words.

BANNED

All this talk about the B-League and a blind Gyu Gardner lasts way longer than Hal did.

Anyhow, it`s "Death of Superman". The premise alone dictates how it`s going to go.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

“Better fighting skills” “best fighter”...

Lol what does that even mean? If it’s between a black belt level fighter and a meteor, the meteor will win EVERY time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post

I'm trying to understand the complaints in this thread. I have never read WW so I am largely ignorant of her history. Are people mad because she hasn't been shown as being equally strong although DC claims she is (basically they're all talk and no show)?
    It's because we are still waiting for the movie where Superman is fighting some guy tooth and nail, barely able to keep up with him, and then suddenly Wonder Woman turns up, kicks his ass around the room, and asks Clark...

"Is this guy still giving you trouble?"

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It's because we are still waiting for the movie where Superman is fighting some guy tooth and nail, barely able to keep up with him, and then suddenly Wonder Woman turns up, kicks his ass around the room, and asks Clark...

"Is this guy still giving you trouble?"
    If that's what you want, the functional equivalent would be the first season of the Justice League cartoon...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-03-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Double post, again...

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If that's what you want, the functional equivalent would be the first season of the Justice League cartoon...
    Not even close.

Remember when Wonder Woman got punked by Kalibak and then Superman said in so many words that he wasn't even worthy of fighting Batman!

I guess the Justice League DCEU movie makes sense now when he says to Wondy and Aquaman, "Is this guy still bothering you"?