Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Mystique and Magik were too cutesy to my taste, but other than that, I thought it was a solid read.

We did not have a confirmation on the phoenix egg but the clues point out that should be the case. Which is a bad news since it would be better to fight some villain than to fly through space with an egg of a cosmic entity which half the universe should want to possess or destroy. It's even worse than carrying an Infinity Gems.

I feel sorry for Rogue and Gambit they deserved a break but if it was otherwise it would not be fun for the readers.

Raven's relationship with the X-mens or Rogue is always difficult to understand and although prefer her away from Rogue will not deny that the moment between the two was beautiful at least until they tried to kill each other again.

A good issue rank 8 out of 10.

Apologies double post.

I enjoyed everything, basically a continuation of their mini but this will be better I think. Thumbs down for Mystique not acknowledging Kurt, I know it’s not his book but still I was waiting for it. And why is Bishops Mullet back? He was rocking braids in astonishing....

Spectacular Member

As expected, KT delivered a fun and entertaining issue. It was enjoyable to see everyone pitching in on this whirlwind wedding and the picking of "teams" was amusing (and possibly a nod to the Rogue and Gambit fandoms). The book felt a bit rushed, but I suppose there was a lot to cover in issue 1. The art wasn't terrible, but the similarities in the characters' faces (especially in the Mystique and Rogue scenes) were a bit jarring. I think we were spoiled by the art in the Rogue and Gambit mini. I'm not sure how I feel about Mystique being so supportive. I kept waiting for her to do something suspicious, and then when she didn't, I kind of wished she had. I thought the action scenes at the end were the most fun and made me excited for the next issue. So, let the egg speculations begin...

Edit: I also want to add that I really appreciated the explanation into the side effects of wearing the power dampener. A small thing that addressed questions I've always had, so that was cool.
    Last edited by Dantes617; 07-25-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    It was a fun issue and in isolation a good start to the series for the reasons mentioned above.

My concern in all of this still remains though. Rogue getting more focus made sense and Rogue ending up with Deadpool made sense. But therein lies the problem. A writer can always write good and logical reasons for a character getting focus and right now we are moving from a Rogue centric first issue (albeit well done) to a next issue where Rogue will be with Deadpool and Gambit will be with a bunch of barely used characters. I know if I were a writer, which group I would focus on.

It just feels like Gambit has already been relegated to side character in his own book as I expect a lot of Rogue and Deadpool banter until Gambit finds them. Maybe I will be proven wrong but time will tell.

2 small minor points that felt a bit off. First, I thought it was a bit too contrived that Mystique randomly deciding she was going to attend Kitty and Collosus' wedding and then being super calm and ok about the fact it ended up being Gambit and Rogue.

Second, I thought Bobby and Nightcrawler's dialogue was off. They focus should have been the fact they were closer to Rogue than Gambit as a means to explain why they were on her team so to speak. Instead the dialogue made it seem like they had issues with Gambit which is just odd. They both have been on teams with him with Bobby and Gambit most recently during Liu's AXM and Kurt currently with X-men Red and while they aren't best buds, I just don't see them saying what they did about Gambit. Perhaps Bobby I can understand a bit if you ignore Liu and go back decades but certainly not Kurt.

Oh man, such a great first issue...

I must have read way too much fan fic lately because the only thing I felt it lacked was more "mushy sentiment" from their wedding but I suppose we got that in Gold #30/R&G and I realize this needs to set the tempo for this story.
    I agree with you on the Gambit issue and can only hope the upcoming issues will shed more focus onto him. I also agree completely on Bobby and Nightcrawler's tone's - I was a little thrown by it. Mystique for me was fine in this and I suppose it's all supposed to feel a little more light-hearted than anything. I really liked Rogues "Shhhhhhh, Don't ruin it" moment. Made me chuckle.

I'll admit I'm coming from a super strong emotional standpoint in all of this (as if my lame UN isn’t a dead giveaway) but I think Thompson will continue to do an amazing job. She really is a breath of fresh air in the world of comics and even though we don’t know for sure where this will end up going I can honestly say I haven’t enjoyed a comic book this much in almost a decade. Nor have I looked forward to one like this before.

The “honeymoon” was pure gold in my opinion and that tickling scene was super clever, bravo to Oscar on that one. It really caused a double take so that was executed wonderfully. The colors were delightful and with the exception of the ladies faces I really did enjoy the art. If their faces mature a little more in the next few issues it would be greatly welcomed.

Great review, Dear Machine and thanks for creating this thread.
    Last edited by Romy Ship; 07-25-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    We did not have a confirmation on the phoenix egg but the clues point out that should be the case. Which is a bad news since it would be better to fight some villain than to fly through space with an egg of a cosmic entity which half the universe should want to possess or destroy. It's even worse than carrying an Infinity Gems.

I feel sorry for Rogue and Gambit they deserved a break but if it was otherwise it would not be fun for the readers.

Raven's relationship with the X-mens or Rogue is always difficult to understand and although prefer her away from Rogue will not deny that the moment between the two was beautiful at least until they tried to kill each other again.

A good issue rank 8 out of 10.
    Just call Jean. Make her Phoenix Jean. Let her destroy Shiar and case closed

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Mystique and Magik were too cutesy to my taste, but other than that, I thought it was a solid read.
    Should've used Nightcrawler for all of Magik's scenes.

Mystique at the wedding was bulls--t. WTF would she care to go to Kitty and Piotr's wedding? It dindt ring true

Incredible Member

Is Mystique immune to Rogue's powers now? Rogue wasn't wearing the inhibitor when they hugged.

Also, aren't Phoenix eggs at least human-sized?

Is Rogue's dislike of the collar going to motivate her to try to get to the root of her power control problem? Beast sure laid into Rogue for wanting a collar that was lighter and didn't give her headaches.

I liked it and will keep reading

Did Remy deliberately flash Kitty when he dropped his sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Is Mystique immune to Rogue's powers now? Rogue wasn't wearing the inhibitor when they hugged.

Also, aren't Phoenix eggs at least human-sized?
    The one Scott had in Secret Wars was large, but not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    We must now pretend that Mystique didn't manipulate and abuse Rogue and murder tons of innocent people because women aren't allowed to be villains anymore. Ugh.
    Editorial still wants Emma to be evil, despite that of the three (Emma, Mags, Mystique), Raven is definitely the most irredeemably evil of the three, and isn't really close.