Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunt for wolverine: Claws of a killer 3 & mystery in madripoor 3 recap/review

As always there will be spoilers, so if you don't want to be spoiled do not enter this thread!

Hunt For Wolverine: Claws of a killer #3 :

The issue begins where the last one ended with Daken escaping the Soteira Kill Team by jumping through a window and crashing on the ground but unfortunately for him he's now surrounded by zombies. While thinking about what he is going to do next, he sees some zombies gathering in front of a garage (where Sabretooth and Deathstrike are hiding) so he decides to make his way through the zombies's horde and manages to enter the garage through the roof.
    Once inside he tells Sabretooth and Deathstrike that the zombies are not responsible for the loss of their healing factor (Deathstrike's cybernetic healing factor isn't working either), it's the weird green device we saw in the previous issues that turned off their healing abilities. So Daken tells them that the best thing to do is to go back to the building where the green device is and destroy it.
    Outside of the building, we see the two members of the Soteira Kill Team 9 from before watching where Daken went, one of them is then saying : "The son of Wolverine, he will be useful" before blowing up the door of the garage where the trio is hiding. Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike and Daken finally decides to fight the Soteira Kill Team 9 and the zombies and at first it seems they're winning.
    Deathstrike is fighting against a soldier armed with a sword (the one Daken fought in the last issue), she easily avoid his sword attack and managed to slash his face revealing his idendity :

It's Lord Dark Wind, her dead father!!!!!!

She's shocked and Lord Dark Wind use this moment of hesitation to his advantage and fatally wounded Yuriko. He's about to kill her saying again "You will be useful" but she's saved by Daken who decide to fight him again while Yuriko is still in shock by this revelation.
    Sabretooth is fighting the other member of this Soteira Kill Team 9 and he also discovers the real identity of this guy :

It's Graydon Creed, his dead son!!!!!

Sabretooth is shocked too and don't understand what's happening, Daken is still fighting against Lord Dark Wind and he's screaming to Sabretooth to come help him but Creed is still too shocked to pay attention to him. Daken is overwhelmed by Lord Dark Wind's attacks and is fatally stabbed through the chest. As he's stabbing Daken, Lord Dark Wind says again : "You will be useful", Creed come back to his senses and knock Lord Dark Wind away and take Daken to safety while trying to avoid the bullets fired at him by Graydon Creed.

Daken loses consciousness due to his wounds and with Lady Deathtrike bleeding on the floor, Creed is the last man standing. He smells Graydon behind him and ask him what the hell is he doing here?

To which Graydon respond : Clean Sweep in T-minus ten minutes.

To be concluded...

Not a bad issue at all ! This issue is much better thant the previous one, we got some revelations and some good actions scenes but unfortunately we didn't get any clue about Wolverine's whereabouts or much more information about Soteira.

But we found out that Lord Dark Wind and Graydon Creed are alive and are working with the Soteira project but something is off with them, it seems like they're possessed or mindcontrolled just like the "Wolverine" we saw in the first issue. My guess is that they're not the real deal but something else (wouldn't be a surprise after the recent revelation in Adamantium Agenda)

Art wise, it's really uneven some scenes looks good but some of the action scenes are really rough so it's a mixed bag.

Let's hope next issue will give us more informations about Soteira and Logan.

Hunt For Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor #3 :

The issue begins with a flashback where Domino remembers the good o'l times with Wolverine and how having adventures with Logan was always trouble but she still loved it.
    In the present, Domino, Jubilee and Kitty are still using Stenya to infiltrate Viper's fortress in order to stop Viper's plan to launch her satellite and to save Storm, Rogue and Psylocke. Jubilee and Kitty decide to go inside while Domino is heading to the launch pad.

Inside Viper's fortress, the mysterious man from before is unhappy about the launch's delay, Viper tries to explain to him that the weather make things difficult (thanks to Storm) and trying to launch the satellite before sunrise would be crazy. We also got the confirmation that Soteira is the name of the leader of this organisation and that she doesn't care about Viper's excuses, she must follow the plan.
    Suddently we see Sapphire Styx acting crazy (Psylocke's butterfly appear around her head) because she has visions of Patch and he is trying to kill her but only her can see him. Snakewhip is trying to hold her but she's violently send away by a telepathic attack (again with Psylocke butterfly signature), Viper's completely shocked by this situation is calling to Mindblast who is still playing with Magneto.

Mindblast and Knockout decide to go help Viper but on the way they're attacked by Kitty and Jubilee, on the launch pad Domino sees that Storm and Rogue are trapped in the rocket carrying the Satellite that Viper is going to launch. But before she can do anything Stenya is killed by Bloodlust who wants some payback after Domino compltely whoop her ass in the previous issue.
    Jubilee discovers that Mindblast has a lot of "tech junk" on her back, so Kitty decide to phase though her, completely shutting down her powers and revealing that this technology was the reason she was so powerful. Powerless, Mindblast can't control minds anymore, that means Magneto is free and is now really pissed!!!

Sapphire Styx is really in a bad shape, Patch is hitting her and cutting her nonstop but it seems Snakewhip can see him too now but not Viper who don't understand what is happening. Viper is warned that the launch site is compromised so she orders her troop to launch the rocket but on the launch site, Magneto appears more angry than ever and ready to kill mindblast but Kitty told him to worry about the rocket instead of killing her.

Domino finish her fight with Bloodlust with a nice kick to her face, Saphire appears again screaming like crazy with Patch still kicking her ass and asking her how many souls she stole. Domino ask her where is Logan and Saphire said he's buried inside her with all the other souls she stole but then another voice is heard by Domino, Kitty and Saphire. It's Psylocke saying to Saphire, it ends here, no more souls for her.
    As Psylocke screams "No more souls" we see Sapphire Styx body is overloaded by all the souls she absorbed and is breaking down while Magneto is trying to stop the launch of the rocket.

To be concluded...

That was great! Really good issue, Domino, Kitty and Jubilee are all amazing here (especially Jubilee), we got an explanation for why the Femmes Fatales are so powerful, Soteira and Viper enhanced them with some technology.
    "Patch" and Psylocke also managed to really scare Sapphire Styx and I'm curious to see what's going to happen to Betsy next issue. Unfortunately Storm and Rogue didn't do anything in this issue but I'm sure they're going to be the big focus of the last issue with Magneto.
    The art is better than in previous issues and I think the reason is because there is much more action in this issue, Sillas is really good at drawning fight scenes. Also his Magneto is really frightening.

Frankly I'm impressed by Zub's writing, the characterizations of Domino, Kitty and Jubilee are top notch ! Unfortunately we learned nothing about Logan's whereabouts or about Soteira except that Soteira is also the name of the big boss of the Soteira organization. At SDCC, Soule also confirmed that her name is Persephone, so it's not really surprising she's also known as Soteira.

I can't wait for the last issue !!!!
    Last edited by Hush; 07-25-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Spectacular Member reptarcereal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Hunt For Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor #3 :

The issue begins with a flashback where Domino remembers the good o'l times with Wolverine and how having adventures with Logan was always trouble but she still loved it.
    In the present, Domino, Jubilee and Kitty are still using Stenya to infiltrate Viper's fortress in order to stop Viper's plan to launch her satellite and to save Storm, Rogue and Psylocke. Jubilee and Kitty decide to go inside while Domino is heading to the launch pad.

Inside Viper's fortress, the mysterious man from before is unhappy about the launch's delay, Viper tries to explain to him that the weather make things difficult (thanks to Storm) and trying to launch the satellite before sunrise would be crazy. We also got the confirmation that Soteira is the name of the leader of this organisation and that she doesn't care about Viper's excuses, she must follow the plan.
    Suddently we see Sapphire Styx acting crazy (Psylocke's butterfly appear around her head) because she has visions of Patch and he is trying to kill her but only her can see him. Snakewhip is trying to hold her but she's violently send away by a telepathic attack (again with Psylocke butterfly signature), Viper's completely shocked by this situation is calling to Mindblast who is still playing with Magneto.

Mindblast and Knockout decide to go help Viper but on the way they're attacked by Kitty and Jubilee, on the launch pad Domino sees that Storm and Rogue are trapped in the rocket carrying the Satellite that Viper is going to launch. But before she can do anything Stenya is killed by Bloodlust who wants some payback after Domino compltely whoop her ass in the previous issue.
    Jubilee discovers that Mindblast has a lot of "tech junk" on her back, so Kitty decide to phase though her, completely shutting down her powers and revealing that this technology was the reason she was so powerful. Powerless, Mindblast can't control minds anymore, that means Magneto is free and is now really pissed!!!

Sapphire Styx is really in a bad shape, Patch is hitting her and cutting her nonstop but it seems Snakewhip can see him too now but not Viper who don't understand what is happening. Viper is warned that the launch site is compromised so she orders her troop to launch the rocket but on the launch site, Magneto appears more angry than ever and ready to kill mindblast but Kitty told him to worry about the rocket instead of killing her.

Domino finish her fight with Bloodlust with a nice kick to her face, Saphire appears again screaming like crazy with Patch still kicking her ass and asking her how many souls she stole. Domino ask her where is Logan and Saphire said he's buried inside her with all the other souls she stole but then another voice is heard by Domino, Kitty and Saphire. It's Psylocke saying to Saphire, it ends here, no more souls for her.
    As Psylocke screams "No more souls" we see Sapphire Styx body is overloaded by all the souls she absorbed and is breaking down while Magneto is trying to stop the launch of the rocket.

To be concluded...

That was great! Really good issue, Domino, Kitty and Jubilee are all amazing here (especially Jubilee), we got an explanation for why the Femmes Fatales are so powerful, Soteira and Viper enhanced them with some technology.
    "Patch" and Psylocke also managed to really scare Sapphire Styx and I'm curious to see what's going to happen to Betsy next issue. Unfortunately Storm and Rogue didn't do anything in this issue but I'm sure they're going to be the big focus of the last issue with Magneto.
    The art is better than in previous issues and I think the reason is because there is much more action in this issue, Sillas is really good at drawning fight scenes. Also his Magneto is really frightening.

Frankly I'm impressed by Zub's writing, the characterizations of Domino, Kitty and Jubilee are top notch ! Unfortunately we learned nothing about Logan's whereabouts or about Soteira except that Soteira is also the name of the big boss of the Soteira organization. At SDCC, Soule also confirmed that her name is Persephone, so it's not really surprising she's also known as Soteira.

I can't wait for the last issue !!!!
    The issue was really fast paced and interesting, I enjoyed it. I wonder what's going on with Patch. It can't really be Wolverine's soul, but why would Psylocke tease Sapphire if her end goal was to destroy her body and release the imprisoned souls? I'm really curious to see where this is going, as this mini goes on, the word mystery in the title becomes more apt.

Shame the next issue is five weeks out.

Madripoor #3 was very action-packed. Kitty, Jubilee and especially Domino were great, but it looks like all tie-ins left all the questions to be answered in the last issue. So far we basically don't know anything about Soteira and its goals. Intrigued about what's going on with Sapphire/Psylocke.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

The 2nd chapter of Claws was terrible. Had no redeeming qualities.

This chapter was better, and I can put it with chapter 1. Nothing grand, but an enjoyable read from middle to end.

Sabretooth actually fighting, and not crapping on himself is better. He's faced zombies before in Mary Shelley Overdrive, so it's not a new concept, and he shouldn't be depicted as a coward.

Despite not caring for Daken, I liked him & Creed in this. They clearly hate each other, but still can work as teammates. Daken calls for backup from Sabretooth, who actually does go to help him, and carry him to safety. After doing so, the little moment there was almost touching. lol Plus the scene the best art this book ever had. lol
    RCO021.jpg

On a final note, I liked the idea of Creed seeing Graydon again. I always thought it was an interaction we didn't get enough of. And Creed actually seemed to have at least a sliver of respect for Graydon after seeing how ruthless he is. And on a small note, he does always seem to call Graydon "son", which seems to show a level of acceptance.

I agree Zub did an amazing job with Domino and Jubilee- their voices were really quite excellent. Hopefully Rogue and Storm can do SOMETHING in the last issue. Still, this tie in has been quite enjoyable. Even the sharp angled art, while strange at times, really fits with the edgy gals mission. Pretty good issue

Pure action in this issue.

I will never understand these third-category villains mess with Magneto and the X-mens? You really need to have a death wish to try something against Magneto.

How they thought it would end .

It seems that the danger has passed only missing save Rogue and Storm but hope both have the chance to return the favor against Viper.

Rank 7 of 10 good action scenes but the plot remains ignored and is confusing like serious launch the X-mens captured in a rocket ?

Soteira is the one behind it all in both books. Wonder if he is anyone we know, or a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by reptarcereal View Post
    The issue was really fast paced and interesting, I enjoyed it. I wonder what's going on with Patch. It can't really be Wolverine's soul, but why would Psylocke tease Sapphire if her end goal was to destroy her body and release the imprisoned souls? I'm really curious to see where this is going, as this mini goes on, the word mystery in the title becomes more apt.

Shame the next issue is five weeks out.
    Well during the "Save the Tiger" storyline, Sapphire Styx stole a lot of Wolverine life force so I wouldn't be surprised if Betsy found some remnants of Logan's soul in Sapphire's head. That could explain the sollicits of the next issue where Psylocke is supposed to be saved by a ghost of the past, what if this ghost is the memory of Patch that Saphire absorbed a long time ago?
    Or it's just Sapphire being crazy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Madripoor #3 was very action-packed. Kitty, Jubilee and especially Domino were great, but it looks like all tie-ins left all the questions to be answered in the last issue. So far we basically don't know anything about Soteira and its goals. Intrigued about what's going on with Sapphire/Psylocke.
    I have to agree, they're really dragging out the plot regarding Soteira but fortunately we should get some revelations next issue. By the way, I was thinking about something would it be possible for Betsy to take over Sapphire's Body (Prof X style) and remade it (telekinetically) in her own image?

Psylocke's powers have fluctuated a lot through the years so I'm not sure how powerful she's supposed to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    The 2nd chapter of Claws was terrible. Had no redeeming qualities.

This chapter was better, and I can put it with chapter 1. Nothing grand, but an enjoyable read from middle to end.

Sabretooth actually fighting, and not crapping on himself is better. He's faced zombies before in Mary Shelley Overdrive, so it's not a new concept, and he shouldn't be depicted as a coward.

Despite not caring for Daken, I liked him & Creed in this. They clearly hate each other, but still can work as teammates. Daken calls for backup from Sabretooth, who actually does go to help him, and carry him to safety. After doing so, the little moment there was almost touching. lol Plus the scene the best art this book ever had. lol
    RCO021.jpg

On a final note, I liked the idea of Creed seeing Graydon again. I always thought it was an interaction we didn't get enough of. And Creed actually seemed to have at least a sliver of respect for Graydon after seeing how ruthless he is. And on a small note, he does always seem to call Graydon "son", which seems to show a level of acceptance.
    I found the second chapter underwhelming, not bad but not great either. I didn't mind Sabretooth being affraid of those zombies, the guy just got bitten by a zombie, he was surrounded by a horde and his healing factor stopped working so yeah I can see why he was in shock. I think it's open to interpretation but I don't think he was that much of a coward in the last issue, he was smart enough to not try to fight the horde of zombies and retreat to avoid being killed (he was an ass toward Deathstrike though), that was just some self-preservation for me lol.

But I agree with you here the third chapter is much better and Victor calling Graydon "son" was a nice touch and show a certain level of acceptance although I'm not sure if this "Graydon" is the real deal (same for Lord Dark Wind) or if he's going to stay alive by the end of this mini. It's really strange that of all people "Graydon Creed" and "Lord Dark Wind" are the person encountered by Sabretooth and Deathstrike that's really convenient lol.

The art is really uneven but some scene like the one you posted are really impressive with a lot of details. I think one of the reason might be the fact there were 2 artists for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    I agree Zub did an amazing job with Domino and Jubilee- their voices were really quite excellent. Hopefully Rogue and Storm can do SOMETHING in the last issue. Still, this tie in has been quite enjoyable. Even the sharp angled art, while strange at times, really fits with the edgy gals mission. Pretty good issue
    Yeah I think Rogue, Storm and Psylocke are going to be the main focus next issue that would make sense since they didn't do a lot in the first 3 issues, at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Pure action in this issue.

I will never understand these third-category villains mess with Magneto and the X-mens? You really need to have a death wish to try something against Magneto.

How they thought it would end .

It seems that the danger has passed only missing save Rogue and Storm but hope both have the chance to return the favor against Viper.

Rank 7 of 10 good action scenes but the plot remains ignored and is confusing like serious launch the X-mens captured in a rocket ?
    That was the most WTF moment of the issue for me too, from the previous issue I kind of guessed that Soteira wanted Storm and Rogue delivered to her so if Viper put them inside this rocket that could mean that Soteira's headquarters are not on earth but maybe in Space. Really strange development here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Soteira is the one behind it all in both books. Wonder if he is anyone we know, or a new character.
    Yep Soteira (or Persephone as Soule called her) is a woman and a new character, she has a unique powerset and an unique worldview. She's the main antagonist of "The Return of Wolverine" but beyond that we don't know anything about her yet. We should get more answers during August with the release of the final part of each Hunt mini
    Last edited by Hush; 07-26-2018 at 05:42 AM.

BANNED

MiM was a really good read and I'm surprised because the first issue was so bad and seemed so off. The cartoonish art isn't even that bad there is detail in the style.

Ultimate Member

Not sure that Marvel would pull the same stunt with the taking over anothers body and reshaping it so close together, besides I don't think telekinesis works like that, besides then also she'd be in technically a 3rd body that wasn't even hers, and dna wise would she even be Betsy anymore...or just possessing a body...her Asian body is still there and fine so she could more easily just go back to that one...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    MiM was a really good read and I'm surprised because the first issue was so bad and seemed so off. The cartoonish art isn't even that bad there is detail in the style.
    I agree with you this mini is getting better and better, I just hope Zub will have a good reveal for the last issue

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Not sure that Marvel would pull the same stunt with the taking over anothers body and reshaping it so close together, besides I don't think telekinesis works like that, besides then also she'd be in technically a 3rd body that wasn't even hers, and dna wise would she even be Betsy anymore...or just possessing a body...her Asian body is still there and fine so she could more easily just go back to that one...
    Well technically she can't go back to her Asian body since it's clinically dead right? I guess having her going to another body and especially just after what happened with Xavier might seem redundant but who knows.

Regarding Telekinesis, I remember a long time ago that Cable used his telekinetic powers to rewrite the DNA of a man turning him into some kind of a Human Bat monster so maybe it could work But seriously Telekinesis is something really strange in the Marvel Universe and I'm not sure if there are limits to it.

Ultimate Member

But again if her Asian body is fully dead then why are they still dragging it around with them, otherwise it just makes it easy for her to go back into that body, otherwise we'd have yet another bodyswap and just a convenient excuse to say...up...she used tk...and if that were the case then what would be to stop her from just making any new body that she jumped into look like the Asian one if she could do all of that...

But again if her Asian body is fully dead then why are they still dragging it around with them, otherwise it just makes it easy for her to go back into that body, otherwise we'd have yet another bodyswap and just a convenient excuse to say...up...she used tk...and if that were the case then what would be to stop her from just making any new body that she jumped into look like the Asian one if she could do all of that...
    They're not dragging her body around, only Storm and Rogue were put in that rocket. In the second issue Sapphire kept Psylocke's body for herself to "play" with it until she discovered that Betsy was dead. And just after that "Patch" appeared out of nowhere and began kicking Sapphire around until the end of this issue where Psylocke revealed herself and shattered Sapphire's body.

That's why I asked how powerful she's supposed to be because I don't know if she can just remake a body in her own image with her TK powers because her powers have been really inconsistent along the years. If I remember right she's supposed to be really powerful after meeting AOA Jean Grey during Uncanny X-Force.

How powerful are her TK powers? As powerful as Cable, Emma, X-Man or Jean?
    Last edited by Hush; 07-27-2018 at 06:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    I agree with you this mini is getting better and better, I just hope Zub will have a good reveal for the last issue

Well technically she can't go back to her Asian body since it's clinically dead right? I guess having her going to another body and especially just after what happened with Xavier might seem redundant but who knows.

Regarding Telekinesis, I remember a long time ago that Cable used his telekinetic powers to rewrite the DNA of a man turning him into some kind of a Human Bat monster so maybe it could work But seriously Telekinesis is something really strange in the Marvel Universe and I'm not sure if there are limits to it.
    I thought Psylocke was just screwing with Sapphire's perceptions making her think Psylocke was dead...and I'm not sure about shattering Sapphire's body since the next cover has them both embodied and alive.

They aren't going to do a permanent body swap in a mini like this. Kwannon had telepathic abilities and Spiral used a mix of magic and science to do the swap. Her British body is dead and needs to stay dead...at this point she's been Japanese longer than she was British as a character this is how she's known and this is her copyright