Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you go for variant covers or the original ones?

Does it really matter? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    I'll go for a variant if it's something I prefer to the main cover. I very rarely will pay extra for one, but on occasion have sprung for one. The current DC method of the title appearing at the bottom of the cover in samll print and the cover being virginal is a big plus to me. Also, some variants do have some kind of homage and attract my attention.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    I usually prefer the original cover (in Marvel’s case, typically an original cover from the run in the book.)

But at the end of the day, what matters is the material inside, so it isn’t that a big deal for me.

Incredible Member

I go for which one I like best. Sometimes it's the original, sometimes it's the variant. If the comic is based on a TV show or movie (like Star Trek, The Librarians or Stargate) I tend to go for the photo covers when available.

Incredible Member

The only time I can get variants is when I order from IST. I will typically get the variant if I can but if I don't, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm not going to pay more for a variant. In a lot of cases I think the new cover is great. Shang chi Vol 4 is a recent one I can think of where I preferred the regular cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I usually prefer the original cover (in Marvel’s case, typically an original cover from the run in the book.)

But at the end of the day, what matters is the material inside, so it isn’t that a big deal for me.
    Yep, content is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post

Yep, content is all that matters.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Marvel tends to be the one that utilizes this. I can't think of a DC Omni to have two different covers but maybe there have been.

As a matter of aesthetics I choose to get the Variant Cover, which w/Marvel, cause that is the cover featuring original cover art of an issue inside the edition. I order from IST and have no trouble getting this one 99.8% of the time. Something happened where I wasn't in time for, I think Thor SA vol. 2 or 3 and I went to cheapgraphicnovels.com to get it. I had to pay 10 or 15% more but my OCD wasn't going to let me have the covers out of synch at that point so for that one instance I paid more, but still way less than retail for the book.

With few exceptions do I find the standard cover better anyway. They aren't bad, just not my preference. The upcoming Conan one is horrid though and I don't think it's going to have a Variant but the Hellstrom Omni cover is horrendous as well.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    The only time I can get variants is when I order from IST. I will typically get the variant if I can but if I don't, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm not going to pay more for a variant. In a lot of cases I think the new cover is great. Shang chi Vol 4 is a recent one I can think of where I preferred the regular cover.
    Ditto!

I started ordering from IST a couple of years ago even though the shipping costs an arm and a leg to Europe. Therefore, if there's a Variant Cover available, I'll pick it up. Like you, I preferred the Mack "regular" cover to the Variant Cover of the Vol. 4 Shang-Chi Omnibus.

From an investment perspective, the Variant Covers are usually priced higher several months after the Omnibus is released and in particular once they go OOP. This us mostly due to the fact that they are only sold on the direct market from comic retailers and there is a lesser number out there than the regular covers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Ditto!

I started ordering from IST a couple of years ago even though the shipping costs an arm and a leg to Europe. Therefore, if there's a Variant Cover available, I'll pick it up. Like you, I preferred the Mack "regular" cover to the Variant Cover of the Vol. 4 Shang-Chi Omnibus.

From an investment perspective, the Variant Covers are usually priced higher several months after the Omnibus is released and in particular once they go OOP. This us mostly due to the fact that they are only sold on the direct market from comic retailers and there is a lesser number out there than the regular covers.
    Its just a great minimalist cover as opposed to the typical style covers you can see. One of my favourite omnibus covers. Shipping from IST is pretty high for sure, even to Canada. There is no such thing as ordering one book at a time from them!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

oops post my bad
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

Correct. I remember getting the variant of the Captain Britain omnibus, and it's a lot more valuable than the regular cover version. The variant has Captain Britain in his old-school costume. I liked both covers, but figured I'd get the variant due to the lower print run.

In general, I'll go for the variant because of this, unless the variant has such unappealing artwork that I can't buy it.

BANNED

It is hard to say, at this point, which is the original cover and which is the varient. This is getting to be a pet peeve of mine. I am getting sick of the varient covers, which often have zero to do with the storyline. They are poisoning themselves like this. It makes it hard to promote a cover as iconic for a book, like FF#1.

Not a huge deal for me either way, but if I can get a cover that's an original book cover, I'll get that over a "newly realized" cover.

I always buy cover A's but will buy variants that I really like from time to time. But when I get a variant I almost always buy the cover A at the same time if it's a series that I read. If I don't read the title (like Catwoman Artgerm variants), I only buy the variant. I buy almost every new cover of Artgerm.