Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

seems easier to download the varient cover and print it on my grahpics printer

I disagree with the idea that only the inside matters - I enjoy covers and I want my comics to have a badass cover for me to admire. Generally speaking, I only pick up a variant cover if it's one that I particularly like, and usually only if I can get it at near the same price.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I disagree with the idea that only the inside matters - I enjoy covers and I want my comics to have a badass cover for me to admire. Generally speaking, I only pick up a variant cover if it's one that I particularly like, and usually only if I can get it at near the same price.
    well, historically great covers are important to both sales and collectors values. See Superman 233 as an example

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Not a huge deal for me either way, but if I can get a cover that's an original book cover, I'll get that over a "newly realized" cover.
    Same here, I want the cover that's an actual issue from the book. Got lucky and got the ASM omni 3 "variant", even though the "new-art" wasn't too terrible. I keep putting off getting the Dr. Strange silver-age omni cause IST only has the new-art cover, which I think is by Alex Ross, who's art I typically don't care for.

Really petty reason and I'll probably grab it anyway, but I'm keeping an eye out for the other cover.

I absolutely HATE modern variant covers. I'm amazed at how much crap the 90's got about having a foil lined cover or an hologram cover or something fancy and shiny... but y'know STILL advertised the book it was on. Now days the variants are pointless and have nothing to do with the book. Wolverine Covers, Deadpool covers, Lego covers, X-Men anniversary covers... all on Spider-man or Daredevil books.

Not that the original covers are much better... I once bought the same Daredevil and Ghost Rider books 2 or 3 times because there are only so many pictures of Daredevil growling on a rooftop before you can have before you get very very confused. I miss when Covers actually advertised what you were getting. Show a picture of the hero.... or the villain... or some threat that they were trying to stop. Something that caught your eye and made you want to get THIS issue. Now?? The covers are incidental. If it's not on your pull list already, there's no reason to flip though it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I absolutely HATE modern variant covers. I'm amazed at how much crap the 90's got about having a foil lined cover or an hologram cover or something fancy and shiny... but y'know STILL advertised the book it was on. Now days the variants are pointless and have nothing to do with the book. Wolverine Covers, Deadpool covers, Lego covers, X-Men anniversary covers... all on Spider-man or Daredevil books.
    It is like naming rights to stadiums now.

Not that the original covers are much better... I once bought the same Daredevil and Ghost Rider books 2 or 3 times because there are only so many pictures of Daredevil growling on a rooftop before you can have before you get very very confused. I miss when Covers actually advertised what you were getting. Show a picture of the hero.... or the villain... or some threat that they were trying to stop. Something that caught your eye and made you want to get THIS issue. Now?? The covers are incidental. If it's not on your pull list already, there's no reason to flip though it.

I think that at times they made a cover and wrote a story around the cover idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I think that at times they made a cover and wrote a story around the cover idea.
    Probably. Especially in the silver age I'm sure that's exactly what happened. But even in the 80's and 90's I used to pick up a random issue because THIS ISSUE had Darkhawk fighting Venom... or This issue had the Sinister Six in it.... or This issue featured Mysterio!! Something interesting and exciting that caught my eye and made me check it out.

Now? It's like every cover wants to be a pin up poster that they pulled out of a file full of pin up posters at random....