BANNED

Default Moon Knight #197 Review/SPOILERS

If I sometimes forget between issues just how good Max Bemis' Moon Knight run is, it only takes a few pages of the latest issue to remind me!

Issue #197 is out and, boy, is it a doozy!

The short of it is that it takes place in a posh manor as a select group of four guests have been invited to the bi-annual feast of the Societe Des Sadiques.

We don't see the identity of the host at first but the issue is comprised primarily of each of the four guests introducing themselves and telling their stories of how they became enamored of the practice of sadism.

Each of the stories the guest tell is morbidly funny and chilling. The horror vibe of this MK run is right at the forefront here but purely psychological this issue, without a hint of the supernatural.

I won't go into details about the later section of the book because it's worth reading the surprises for yourself but I will say that what I imagined what might be a one and done story is actually a To Be Continued and that it ties back to the excellent Moon Knight #194.

I can't preach the gospel of this run enough. It's wonderfully weird, dryly funny, it's constantly throwing new ideas out, creating all new rogues for MK, and the art is consistently stellar.

I've surely said this in other write-ups on other issues but I'll say it again - this really is the best book that not enough people are talking about.

Looking forward to the ramp up to #200 and keeping my fingers crossed that Bemis is sticking around well past that milestone.

Nice write-up prof. I'll definitely agree with you on the creepiness of this particular title. Reading the background characters reminded me a lot of an EC Comics/Tales From the Cryptkeeper issue. The fast-pace, the hyper-realism, the disturbing ending, there were moments in the comic that certainly reminded me of a horror title. And you're right, there wasn't so much gore as there was a lot of psychological terror.

The twist though? Definitely didn't see that coming, especially considering the cover. Suffice it to say, who is the hero and villain in this title got a little blurred.

Part of me is hesitant with the title. Moon Knight appeals to me b/c he's a street level guy. I'll be the first to admit that my life is pretty disturbed as it is and I don't need stories of unsavory, dark, disturbing characters. Still, there are enough superhero elements in here that make me want to continue reading.

Looking forward to next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

edit: Oops! Double post!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Looking forward to the ramp up to #200 and keeping my fingers crossed that Bemis is sticking around well past that milestone.
    I won't be surprised if they cancel it. With Punisher #228 having ended that leaves MK as the only cyclical book left at Legacy status. I'm not counting Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur since for some reason they've not put that title in cyclical cancel/reboot mode in prior re-branding launches.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

This has consistently been one of my favorite monthly reads. Enjoying the unpredictable tone of the book the quirky and morbib villians along with the madness of MoonKnight. Anyone that thinks MoonKnight is a Batman knockoff needs to read this book and find out what MoonKnight is really about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I won't be surprised if they cancel it. With Punisher #228 having ended that leaves MK as the only cyclical book left at Legacy status. I'm not counting Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur since for some reason they've not put that title in cyclical cancel/reboot mode in prior re-branding launches.
    It's more likely that they'll relaunch it then cancel it.

It's doing just fine sales-wise so cancelling it seems drastic. Certainly there's books below it, like Champions, that are chugging along with no sign of stopping.

The question is whether the current creative team stays on or if it gets a new one. The team they have is doing such good work, I hope they just keep going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    This has consistently been one of my favorite monthly reads. Enjoying the unpredictable tone of the book the quirky and morbib villians along with the madness of MoonKnight. Anyone that thinks MoonKnight is a Batman knockoff needs to read this book and find out what MoonKnight is really about.
    Absolutely! MK is way beyond just being a Batman-style vigilante.

Bemis is killing it and it's nice to have Burrows back. Unlike most quirky runs in Marvel, this one is doing a lot of world-building.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's more likely that they'll relaunch it then cancel it.

It's doing just fine sales-wise so cancelling it seems drastic. Certainly there's books below it, like Champions, that are chugging along with no sign of stopping.

The question is whether the current creative team stays on or if it gets a new one. The team they have is doing such good work, I hope they just keep going.
    I want Bemis and Burrows to stay on the book for years, but I wouldn't be upset if they leave. Bemis' music career is the only thing that could slow down his rising within Marvel's ranks and Burrows is a fantastic artist with years of experience working with A-list writers. If Marvel are smart, they will lock them down for bigger series.
    Last edited by Diamond; 07-26-2018 at 02:58 PM.