Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default The 1970s Saturday morning Filmation SHAZAM TV series

The release of the new SHAZAM movie next spring brings the whole SHAZAM (and original Captain Marvel) mythos to the wide attention of the non-comic-book-reading general public for the first time in decades. The last time that the general public was exposed to SHAZAM on such a wide scale was during the 1970s, when the franchise had a live-action Saturday morning program (made by Filmation) on national network television from 1974-1977.

The 1970s Filmation SHAZAM TV series probably departs from the canonical Fawcett/DC comic book SHAZAM mythos the most. Among the differences:

1. Billy Batson is not a prepubescent child, but a 19-year-old young adult, with the education level, life experience, and sophistication expected of a reasonably intelligent young person of that age.

2. Instead of being based in Fawcett City, Billy travels the Western U.S. (mostly Southern California) aboard a recreational vehicle with an older gentleman called "Mentor," who undoubtedly draws inspiration from Uncle Dudley.

3. Billy is the only known Marvel - no Mary, Freddy, Lieutenants, etc.

4. Billy receives his power directly from the six Elders (Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury). There is no wizard Shazam, but Billy regularly consults with the Elders through a mystical/electronic device (called the "Eternaphone") built into the RV.

5. There are no supervillains; Captain Marvel typically rescues people from natural disasters or dangerous situations caused by their own poor choices.

6. Captain Marvel is clearly a mature adult man and separate persona from Billy Batson.

This was the version of SHAZAM to which I was first exposed, and the canonical comic book version was something I discovered later after I began reading comics. Anyone born after the 1970s would likely not recognize this version of SHAZAM, but it is interesting to look back at it and compare it with newer interpretations.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Last edited by Buried Alien; 07-26-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

I always assumed Michael Gray's Billy Batson was supposed to be about 16--even though he looked older (as did most actors playing teenagers on TV). After all, he travelled around with Mr. Mentor and one reason was probably because he was too young to travel on his own without a guardian.

In the ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL 1941 serial, the actor playing Billy (Frank Coghlan, Jr.) looks much older than Michael Gray--likewise the actor who plays Billy's friend, Whitey. Yet they're supposed to be teens.

I was already a big fan of the Big Red Cheese, thanks to the new comics from DC and their Fawcett reprints (although, ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME was the book that introduced me to the character). And I was more than a little bugged by the liberties Filmation took with the source material. It was kind of ridiculous, too, because they seemed to be inspired by the Hard-Travelling Heroes adventures of Green Lantern and Green Arrow in their search for America--a very fine purpose, but entirely the wrong character to use for that story, since Captain Marvel was supposed to be fantasy not gritty reality.

I did enjoy the series on its own terms, but I was aggravated with it until E. Nelson Bridwell and Kurt Schaffenberger did an impressive job of bringing the continuity of the TV show into the comics. Once the Big E and Kurt made me see how this TV SHAZAM! could exist in their world, I was fine with it.

Also, by this time in the comics, Billy was probably supposed to be 16--and Kurt started to draw him with longer hair.

It was odd that the Old Wizard never showed up on the TV show. But not so odd when you consider Shazam is dead--he was killed by that big stone block back in WHIZ COMICS No. 2--and his spirit is living on the Rock of Eternity. I guess Billy and Mr. Mentor (aka Uncle Dudley) could have lit a magic brazier to summon the spirit of the Old Wizard. Yet, if you got an Eternaphone, why bother waking up a spirit from his eternal rest.

Those scenes with the elders seemed more like they were going on in Billy's mind palace. It was a way to show the inner dialogues he must have all the time with his six inspirations.

Physically, John Davey looked more like how Cap is supposed to look, but in terms of acting Jackson Bostwick better fit the sunny personality of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always assumed Michael Gray's Billy Batson was supposed to be about 16--even though he looked older (as did most actors playing teenagers on TV). After all, he travelled around with Mr. Mentor and one reason was probably because he was too young to travel on his own without a guardian.
    The dialogue in one episode of the series mentioned that Billy had graduated from high school about a year before the events of the series, so I figure he was meant to be 19 on the show. Billy was also licensed to drive a motorcycle and other motor vehicles on the series.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 07-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Spectacular Member

Woah, he transformed into an older similar sized guy.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I also watched SHAZAM! back in the day and enjoyed it. If memory serves, Les Tremayne (General Mann from the original War of the Worlds) played Mentor. With the Big Red Cheese coming to the big screen next year, I wonder if the series will be released on home video or available for streaming?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

6. Captain Marvel is clearly a mature adult man and separate persona from Billy Batson.
    I thought that was true in the original Golden Age comics as well and that Captain Marvel being a kid in an adult's body was a post-Crisis reinvention.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I also watched SHAZAM! back in the day and enjoyed it. If memory serves, Les Tremayne (General Mann from the original War of the Worlds) played Mentor. With the Big Red Cheese coming to the big screen next year, I wonder if the series will be released on home video or available for streaming?
    The complete series was released on DVD back in 2012. Perhaps it will be reissued with extras.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I watched that show when it aired. In my memory it's kind of the quintessential 70's kids show.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    I thought that was true in the original Golden Age comics as well and that Captain Marvel being a kid in an adult's body was a post-Crisis reinvention.
    It was never completely clear and there was debate among fans. And I'd say the writers didn't really know for sure, either. Sometimes Cap would act like a different person and sometimes he'd act like Billy.

Post-Crisis, the comics made it much more clear that he was Bily all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mortimer View Post
    Woah, he transformed into an older similar sized guy.
    Not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

In the ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL 1941 serial, the actor playing Billy (Frank Coghlan, Jr.) looks much older than Michael Gray--likewise the actor who plays Billy's friend, Whitey. Yet they're supposed to be teens.

I was already a big fan of the Big Red Cheese, thanks to the new comics from DC and their Fawcett reprints (although, ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME was the book that introduced me to the character). And I was more than a little bugged by the liberties Filmation took with the source material. It was kind of ridiculous, too, because they seemed to be inspired by the Hard-Travelling Heroes adventures of Green Lantern and Green Arrow in their search for America--a very fine purpose, but entirely the wrong character to use for that story, since Captain Marvel was supposed to be fantasy not gritty reality.

I did enjoy the series on its own terms, but I was aggravated with it until E. Nelson Bridwell and Kurt Schaffenberger did an impressive job of bringing the continuity of the TV show into the comics. Once the Big E and Kurt made me see how this TV SHAZAM! could exist in their world, I was fine with it.

Also, by this time in the comics, Billy was probably supposed to be 16--and Kurt started to draw him with longer hair.

It was odd that the Old Wizard never showed up on the TV show. But not so odd when you consider Shazam is dead--he was killed by that big stone block back in WHIZ COMICS No. 2--and his spirit is living on the Rock of Eternity. I guess Billy and Mr. Mentor (aka Uncle Dudley) could have lit a magic brazier to summon the spirit of the Old Wizard. Yet, if you got an Eternaphone, why bother waking up a spirit from his eternal rest.

Those scenes with the elders seemed more like they were going on in Billy's mind palace. It was a way to show the inner dialogues he must have all the time with his six inspirations.

Physically, John Davey looked more like how Cap is supposed to look, but in terms of acting Jackson Bostwick better fit the sunny personality of the character.
    In terms of acting, they were fairly identical, but in general, i preferred john davey over jackson bostwick.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It already has been, on warner archive.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The complete series was released on DVD back in 2012. Perhaps it will be reissued with extras.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    It already has been, on warner archive.
    I didn’t know that. Thanks!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Don't forget the spin-off.