5 11.36%
  • Unsure

2 4.55%
  • No opinion

1 2.27%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But you told us that we should always ask ourselves what will sell the most comics?

Diana's face in the JSA will sell more comics. Diana in the JLA is virtually a necessity (Trinity, and all that) in any version of the League that is trying to look like the "Big Guns of the DCU."

This sells more comics. A lot more than diversifying this particular product line with less popular characters far fewer people care about.

I gotta ask; do you have a degree in business or any administrative experience? Because I question your logic here.

Also.....why is it the consumer's job to worry about what is selling? I mean, I keep loose track of industry business trends because I study business and find it interesting, but why is it our responsibility as fans to pay attention to this? That's not how the producer-consumer dynamic works.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember you once asked me to send you a resume. I though that was pretty funny, and I responded that I didn't need a job from you, but you were welcome to send me a resume. Am I remembering that right? Maybe I've got you confused with someone else. If so, I apologize.

Anyway, Diana would help sell JSA. Especially to get people to try it in the first place, which is vital. The Justice League? Not so much.

If you don't care whether a JSA comic stays in print, that's fine. I do care. But Justice League won't shut down without Diana.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #43 $2.99 DC 42,959

WONDER WOMAN #49 $2.99 DC 34,129
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-27-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You should be interested in DC's staying in the comics business. The industry is not thriving.
    But, again, it's not as if we need to ask ourselves "What will help DC to stay in business?" I'm buying fewer and fewer DC titles these days because I don't like most of the crap they're publishing. But it's not as if DC would make substantially more money catering to what I want to read.

Funny, I never hear anybody say that it doesn't matter how well the movies do. How well the movies do is always big news.
    And since I don't watch the movies or TV shows, that's really not important to me, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, again, it's not as if we need to ask ourselves "What will help DC to stay in business?" I'm buying fewer and fewer DC titles these days because I don't like most of the crap they're publishing. But it's not as if DC would make substantially more money catering to what I want to read.

And since I don't watch the movies or TV shows, that's really not important to me, either.
    That's cool.

Funny, I never hear anybody say that it doesn't matter how well the movies do. How well the movies do is always big news.
    Comics don't require eight months of principal photography and millions of dollars to make, either. Movies are a huge investment. A comic? Not so much.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember you once asked me to send you a resume. I though that was pretty funny, and I responded that I didn't need a job from you, but you were welcome to send me a resume. Am I remembering that right? Maybe I've got you confused with someone else. If so, I apologize.
    Not ringing a bell, so I'm guessing someone else?

But I don't want a resume. I want to know why I should bother to give your opinions any weight. And there's no need to get all defensive here, I'm not attacking you. But you're offering an opinion and I'm asking you to back that opinion up. If you can't, cool. You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion. I'm just wondering what the foundation of your knowledge base is like. If you're just a layman, okay. Nothing wrong with that. If you actually have some education though, I'm going to consider your posts more carefully.

Anyway, Diana would help sell JSA. Especially to get people to try it in the first place, which is vital. The Justice League? Not so much.
    The Trinity sell the Justice League. Can't have the Trinity without Diana. By herself she's not a huge draw, but it's the dynamics she brings that help.

If you don't care whether a JSA comic stays in print, that's fine. I do care. But Justice League won't shut down without Diana.
    As I said, I enjoy the business end of things because that's in my wheelhouse. I study business and have years of experience in management. But it's not on me to keep DC in business. It's on me to buy the things I like that DC produces, not buy what I don't, and let the market decide the rest.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #43 $2.99 DC 42,959

WONDER WOMAN #49 $2.99 DC 34,129
    There's no worthwhile correlation here man. Everyone knows the League sells better than Diana. She's a mid-level seller, generally always has been. Sales however, aren't the totality of the IP's worth and you discount the externalities she brings with her that benefit any book she's in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

You should be interested in DC's staying in the comics business. The industry is not thriving.

Sure how well movies do is big news, because its interesting for letting you know if there might be a sequel, or because it might effect how other movies are made. But my criteria as a consumer for what I want to see in the movies has nothing to do with how well it is going to do financially.

There are A list celebrities who would sell a movie great, but I don't enjoy their acting. Me as a consumer would never want them in a movie I care about, even though that movie might sell more as a result. Because I'll enjoy the product less, so who cares if it sells better. My chief concern is that I enjoy the product, and hopefully that lines up with good sales so I continue to get more of the product.

So in this thread I love Diana in the Justice League, it makes me enjoy the title more. I don't really care about her dynamic with any JSA characters, so having her there would take up space from characters I am more interested in seeing interact together and as a result I would enjoy the title less. So even if putting Diana in JSA would sell more, I would now enjoy both books less, so why would I care about those added sales?
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Astonishing Member

The question you always have to ask yourself is this:

What's going to sell the most comics?

I think she'd have a bigger sales impact in Justice Society.
    No , the question is "Which would I actually care about reading?"

DC can sell a single copy of a book to me or a million to everyone else on the planet. While DC obviously prefers the higher sales (and should prefer them), why exactly do I as a reader care about a book I don't want to read?

In this case I like Wonder Woman in either team's line-up but in principle if Wonder Woman was a member of a team I'd never read, then I could care less if she raised the sales of that team.

And if Wonder Woman was suddenly stuck into the Legion of Super=heroes I might be glad to see the sales bump or I might think "This ancient Greek Character adds nothing to the team I enjoyed and is actually making the book less interesting"
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 07-27-2018 at 08:54 PM.

BANNED

If having Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in one comic is a thing, then why did this happen?

Last issue: June 2018 -- TRINITY #22 $3.99 DC 21,953

If having Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in one comic is a thing, then why did this happen?

Last issue: June 2018 -- TRINITY #22 $3.99 DC 21,953
    Over-saturation of the market?
    People weren't happy with the writer(s)?
    People weren't happy with the artist(s)?
    People weren't happy with stories?
    People didn't see an overall direction to the series to make it worthwhile?
    Some people can afford to buy just so many comic books?
    Stores didn't want to / couldn't afford to order more copies?
    Stores didn't really push it enough?
    It was Wednesday?

Why the hell are you asking us why it had as many orders from Diamond (not sales to readers, but orders placed by comic book shops!) as it did?

BANNED

It depends.

Classical Multiverse set-up: both.
    Merged continuity: Diana is in the JLA while Hippolyta used to be in the JSA, preferably not via time travel.

What's going to sell the most comics?
    I couldn't care less.

But logic suggests that if Wonder Woman is a sales draw then putting her on both teams would sell the most comics.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-28-2018 at 07:37 AM.

In Young Justice she was revealed to be a founding member of both the JSA and JLA so I'm cool with that happening in the comics via another reboot.

Right now I'm ok with someone else filling her role in the JSA, either another Amazon or another existing character like Black Canary, Miss America etc

She started at All-American anyway, not National (DC.) So the JSA has precedent and first dibs. We can share her with the upstarts..... I guess.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    In Young Justice she was revealed to be a founding member of both the JSA and JLA...
    Whoa! Are we speaking of the comic, or the animated show. If the later, I missed that (unless she was one of the backgrounders in the Red Tornado origin episode from S1 and I didn't notice...)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Whoa! Are we speaking of the comic, or the animated show. If the later, I missed that (unless she was one of the backgrounders in the Red Tornado origin episode from S1 and I didn't notice...)
    Sorry she's actually in the All Star Squadron not the JSA. I found it in the ask greg weisman column. It's got a whole ton of information the show doesnt get around too.

https://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg....php?qid=14984

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But logic suggests that if Wonder Woman is a sales draw then putting her on both teams would sell the most comics.
    Sounds logical to me, also.

BTW, this poll should have had the choice of having Wonder Woman in both groups. However, if I have to make a choice between the two, it would be for the A team.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    BTW, this poll should have had the choice of having Wonder Woman in both groups. However, if I have to make a choice between the two, it would be for the A team.
    And at the moment, votes for having her on the Justice League (currently 32) are four times as many votes as the other options combined.
    Justice Society = 5
    Unsure = 2
    No opinion = 1
    and 5 + 2 + 1 = 8