Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Definitely got me beat. My oldest comic, Action #54, came along two years later, and I'm quite sure is far less valuable. A rather beat-up copy, I recall buying it for $20 (years ago—inflation would probably at least double that in current dollars). Even a "Fair" copy of Superman #4 must be worth hundreds of dollars.
    I brought it as an investment. Wouldn't it be nice to have the money to collect these on a regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    I adored those 60 cent 100 page comics; those were the best! I wish SB was young Kal-El too, it is a shame the recent history has taken that away from us.
    It is interesting how many of the Marvel greats came out of LSH

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I brought it as an investment. Wouldn't it be nice to have the money to collect these on a regular basis?
    Definitely. I'd at least have polished off my Superboy collection. I wish I could say I though my old comics were "investments." But I doubt I'd get much money for them, beyond what I paid; even my oldest (and most expensive, in terms of what I paid) Superboy, like #4, 6, and 10 (first Lana Lang).
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Retired

Long ago, I started to say my ever growing comic book collection was an "investment" as a way of defending myself against the pressure from my family to get rid of them (or at least stop buying more). Once they were convinced that maybe these comics would be worth something one day, they eased back on the sniping and were even sometimes supportive. In my private musings, I didn't really believe that I could ever make good on my investment--in part because I didn't want to give up my comics. Yet, when you repeat something enough, you do start to believe it. So I did have the fantasy that maybe one day my comics could be worth a lot. However, I've come around to thinking that's highly unlikely. Maybe in total--if I sold the entire collection--it would work out to a modest amount--but nowhere near as much as if I had put all that money into solid investments and savings schemes and let them mature. I guess the real investment is abstract--an emotional investment or an intellectual one.

Superman 4
    And I thought my Superman 6 was old

(I think 6 and 7 are the oldest ones I have. I don't think I have any early Action Comics issues and my World's Finest are obviously later. I think I have Batman 4 (but the spine is gone) (I keep saying 'I think' because I haven't looked at any of them for few years and they're all in storage )

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Long ago, I started to say my ever growing comic book collection was an "investment" as a way of defending myself against the pressure from my family to get rid of them (or at least stop buying more). Once they were convinced that maybe these comics would be worth something one day, they eased back on the sniping and were even sometimes supportive. In my private musings, I didn't really believe that I could ever make good on my investment--in part because I didn't want to give up my comics. Yet, when you repeat something enough, you do start to believe it. So I did have the fantasy that maybe one day my comics could be worth a lot. However, I've come around to thinking that's highly unlikely. Maybe in total--if I sold the entire collection--it would work out to a modest amount--but nowhere near as much as if I had put all that money into solid investments and savings schemes and let them mature. I guess the real investment is abstract--an emotional investment or an intellectual one.
    When I actually needed to get rid of most (not all, and certainly not the most valuable or the comics I focused most on "collecting") of my collection two years ago, I sold it for $600 to my LBCD. Probably around 8000 comics (I kept about 5000). I couldn't keep them at home any longer, and I was only losing money on keeping them in a storage locker, in which I kept almost nothing else. Obviously, $600 is far, far less than I spent on them in actual dollars (especially since I kept most of those that I spent dimes on as a kid!). So no, no investment for me, I fear.

To keep it on the topic of this thread, on the "Kryptonian front", I kept my pre-Crisis Superman collection, all of my Superboy(s)/Legion collection, and my post-IC, pre-New 52 Superman, "Rebirth" Supes, plus Morrison Action, All-Star Superman, some Elseworlds stories, and scattered others.
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 08-16-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    And I thought my Superman 6 was old

(I think 6 and 7 are the oldest ones I have. I don't think I have any early Action Comics issues and my World's Finest are obviously later. I think I have Batman 4 (but the spine is gone) (I keep saying 'I think' because I haven't looked at any of them for few years and they're all in storage )
    Okay, seriously, you guys are starting to make the rest of us look bad!
    Assassinate Putin!

To follow up on my first original question:

If you could own one near mint copy of any Superman related comic (except Action #1 or Superman #1), which comic would you want to own?
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There are several. More Fun Comics #101 (the first appearance of Superboy) which I have a reprint of. Superboy #1. Action #252. The first appearance of Supergirl. There's one from 1958 where he first learns how to control his flying. I don't know which one it is. That's the first time they introduced the idea of Pa Kent teaching him with balloons. There's also another one from around that time where a Kryptonian city comes to Earth but he can't go near it because it's turned to Krytponite.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    There are several. More Fun Comics #101 (the first appearance of Superboy) which I have a reprint of. Superboy #1. Action #252. The first appearance of Supergirl. There's one from 1958 where he first learns how to control his flying. I don't know which one it is. That's the first time they introduced the idea of Pa Kent teaching him with balloons. There's also another one from around that time where a Kryptonian city comes to Earth but he can't go near it because it's turned to Krytponite.

I too would like the first app. of Superboy and Supergirl. Both Iconic comics!
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    To follow up on my first original question:

If you could own one near mint copy of any Superman related comic (except Action #1 or Superman #1), which comic would you want to own?

Action 17 and Superman 14.

Why did they bounce Shuster from the Superman runs.

BANNED

http://metropolisactuallychicago.blo...alization.html

I happened to stumble on this off-topic write up... which is very good.

BANNED

231-247 Superman asa a set in mint

Retired

Action 17 and Superman 14.

Why did they bounce Shuster from the Superman runs.
    Joe Shuster was slowly losing his eyesight; however, the Shuster studio produced most of the artwork for the Superman comic books at the time, so all the major artists that worked on Superman in the comic books up until 1947 were in the studio--Paul Cassidy, Wayne Boring, John Sikela, et al. The exceptions would be people like Jack Burnley and Fred Ray, who worked directly for DC. And Boring also eventually ended up working for DC directly (after he became the primary artist on the comic strip), rather than through the Shuster shop. Despite his problems, Joe Shuster remained involved with the art coming out of his shop and he would contribute to pages--often drawing Superman's head himself.

But if Joe Shuster had had perfect eyesight, he might still have been forced to hand over Superman to other artists, to go in the service for WW II--as Jerry Siegel had to do. This is when other writers started to ghost the comics. Besides which, the task of producing so much material for the popular Superman became impossible for Jerry and Joe.

Siegel and Shuster (with Ira Yarbrough) did a great send-up of their approach to the World's Greatest Adventure-Strip Character in SUPERMAN 25 (November-December 1943), "King of the Comic Books"--through the comic within the comic, "Geezer," and its creator Henry Jones, who has handed over all the work on Geezer to his shop of ghost writers and artists.

I greatly admire that story, so that might be an issue I'd try to acquire to add to my collection. And it's probably easier to get that comic and in better condition than some of the more high profile issues--like issue 24, which has a famous cover by Burnley.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Joe Shuster was slowly losing his eyesight; however, the Shuster studio produced most of the artwork for the Superman comic books at the time, so all the major artists that worked on Superman in the comic books up until 1947 were in the studio--Paul Cassidy, Wayne Boring, John Sikela, et al. The exceptions would be people like Jack Burnley and Fred Ray, who worked directly for DC. And Boring also eventually ended up working for DC directly (after he became the primary artist on the comic strip), rather than through the Shuster shop. Despite his problems, Joe Shuster remained involved with the art coming out of his shop and he would contribute to pages--often drawing Superman's head himself.

But if Joe Shuster had had perfect eyesight, he might still have been forced to hand over Superman to other artists, to go in the service for WW II--as Jerry Siegel had to do. This is when other writers started to ghost the comics. Besides which, the task of producing so much material for the popular Superman became impossible for Jerry and Joe.

Siegel and Shuster (with Ira Yarbrough) did a great send-up of their approach to the World's Greatest Adventure-Strip Character in SUPERMAN 25 (November-December 1943), "King of the Comic Books"--through the comic within the comic, "Geezer," and its creator Henry Jones, who has handed over all the work on Geezer to his shop of ghost writers and artists.

I greatly admire that story, so that might be an issue I'd try to acquire to add to my collection. And it's probably easier to get that comic and in better condition than some of the more high profile issues--like issue 24, which has a famous cover by Burnley.
    Superman was bi-montly?

BANNED

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncat...cret-identity/

FWIW - into the 1960's at least as I understand it