Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What is the oldest Superman/Superboy comic you own?

My oldest is Superman #147 and Superboy #96. These older stories were full of text and took a good long while to read. What a great time to grow up reading comics in this era. I was too young to be around when those came out, but I enjoy them just the same.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't really own original older comics like that, but my LCS actually carries a good deal of them reasonable in shape and price, so I snagged Superman #149. I'll probably pick up some others when the mood strikes me. Right now though my collection from there pretty much jumps to 1970.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Adventure Comics #279. December, 1960. It's not exactly mint condition but it is an original copy. It's about Superboy going into the future and finding out he's believed to be a fictional character. He keeps demonstrating his powers to prove he was real but each on of his powers can be simulated by using technology of the time. Except he points out that he doesn't have any of those devices. But Lana's descendant developed a formula that would give anyone Superboy's powers. (it was 1960) Who was injured not long after Superboy arrived and the authorities blame him and threaten to deport him to a planet called Xanthia. The only person who believes him is Lita Lang. Who conveniently looks just like Lana. So Superboy and Lita fly to the "Past Age Museum" to find some kind of clue that proves Superboy was real. This is where they discover white kryptonite (which kills all plants). As luck would have it, a "creeping blight" strikes Earth and starts to consume all the cities. That is when Superboy discovers that the carnation Lana put in his lapel before he left had died. So he concluded the white kryptonite can stop it. The white kryptonite has Kryptonian writing on it proving Krypton was real. And, of course, if kryptonite is real, than that means Superboy had to be real too.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

The oldest is SUPERBOY 58 (July 1957), but I'm ashamed to count it, because it's a really beat-up copy. However, I got it for free from a fellow collector for some help I gave him. The next oldest, but in much better condition, are ADVENTURE COMICS 261 (June 1959), SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN 41 (December 1959) and SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 14 (January 1960).

I need to step up my game on ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN. The oldest ACTION COMICS (not a facsimile) is 265 (June 1960) and the oldest SUPERMAN is 149 (November 1961).

What a coincidence Jim that you and Kuwagaton have the same old issue of SM, and mine is only a couple away.

Mighty Member

Someone gave me a copy of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #84 from April 1965. The original price was 12 cents and the cover is classic 60's with Titanto the Super-Ape zapping Superman with "Kryptonite Vision" while fighting the Flame Dragon as Jimmy films it all for his monster movie. Classic stuff.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Superboy issue 197 from 1973.

Oldest Superman and Superboy comics:

Action Comics #54 (Nov 1942) and Adventure Comics #112 (Jan 1947), respectively.

Adventure Comics #112 is also my second oldest Superman comic, and Superboy #4 (Sep/Oct 1949) is third.

The oldest actual issue of Superman I have is Superman #98 (Jul 1955). That's also my second oldest Superman (sans Superboy) comic.

The vast majority of Silver Age Action Comics and Superman that I have date from the 1960s. I particularly collected imaginary stories and the Legion's run in Action. I have scattered issues of Jimmy Olsen, a couple issues of Lois Lane, and a decent number of World's Finest. I'm better on Bronze Age Superman (one of two series, the other being Superboy, that I bought regularly in the 1970s) and Action; I have nearly all of the Kirby run in Jimmy Olsen, and most of the Super Sons (the originals!) in World's Finest, along with other WFC.

But the real pride and joy is Superboy (and the Legion). I have Superboy (Legion) #4, 6-7, 9-10, 12-16, 20-21, 23-24, and 27-354, the last issue of Tales of the Legion. And I have the Legion's whole run as a feature in Adventure Comics, #300-380, plus about 8 earlier Superboy issues (including #112). (I don't actually have the Legion's first appearance in #247.)
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 07-27-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Assuming my and my dad's collection can be taken as one, this is the oldest I can immediately think of without going through it.

Buh-bye

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Here's mine. Found it at a yard sale 20 years ago. It was falling apart but I was so hyped to have one of the old Silver age books in my collection.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_176
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

My oldest isn't very old at all...Action Comics #445. Admittedly, I purchased it specifically to have it signed by Mike Grell recently at a local Comic Con, so I'm not sure it counts haha.

Funny side note: I also had him sign AC #456, where he told me a story about DC catching "Jaws" fever. Very nice man.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Superboy issue 197 from 1973.

OMGosh, that is the very first issue of Superboy I ever bought! When I bought it, I thought that all the books before it were SB and the LOSH, I had no idea that this was their first co-star issue at that time (until years later). I also, absolutely loved Timber Wolf...funny how the very next year Wolverine came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Oldest Superman and Superboy comics:

Action Comics #54 (Nov 1942) and Adventure Comics #112 (Jan 1947), respectively.

Adventure Comics #112 is also my second oldest Superman comic, and Superboy #4 (Sep/Oct 1949) is third.

The oldest actual issue of Superman I have is Superman #98 (Jul 1955). That's also my second oldest Superman (sans Superboy) comic.

The vast majority of Silver Age Action Comics and Superman that I have date from the 1960s. I particularly collected imaginary stories and the Legion's run in Action. I have scattered issues of Jimmy Olsen, a couple issues of Lois Lane, and a decent number of World's Finest. I'm better on Bronze Age Superman (one of two series, the other being Superboy, that I bought regularly in the 1970s) and Action; I have nearly all of the Kirby run in Jimmy Olsen, and most of the Super Sons (the originals!) in World's Finest, along with other WFC.

But the real pride and joy is Superboy (and the Legion). I have Superboy (Legion) #4, 6-7, 9-10, 12-16, 20-21, 23-24, and 27-354, the last issue of Tales of the Legion. And I have the Legion's whole run as a feature in Adventure Comics, #300-380, plus about 8 earlier Superboy issues (including #112). (I don't actually have the Legion's first appearance in #247.)
    WOW! I am "Jelly" (as my 11 year old would say). Great collections SB!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    OMGosh, that is the very first issue of Superboy I ever bought! When I bought it, I thought that all the books before it were SB and the LOSH, I had no idea that this was their first co-star issue at that time (until years later). I also, absolutely loved Timber Wolf...funny how the very next year Wolverine came out.
    The funny thing is 60 issues latter the Legion squeezed Superboy out of his own book and took over completely. I just got the hardcover in the mail today that collects those last issues of Superboy/Legion of Superheroes (241-259) before the Legion took over full time.

Astonishing Member

I no longer own any old Superman comics. Back in the late 1950s and early 1960s I owned a lot of them that I bought new on the spinner racks, but they got stolen during a move around 1968, and frankly I don't miss them very much. Even at the time, I felt that most of the Silver Age Superman, Superboy, and especially Jimmy Olsen stories were embarrassingly silly.