Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    But nobody cares whose d*ck is bigger, except Storm fans. In your world, she needs to be front of centre of EVERYTHING.
    My god, she got the entire focus of this issue and a cover to herself! Why do you constantly have to bring Jean down? She literally had a two parter cameo to tell the readers that Mesmero was gone.
    Oh, for goodness sake, why don’t you grow the hell up! Something a child would say.
    Psylocke is not in this issue, she’s nothing to do with this story, this thread, this discussion. Your comments are just disgustingly pathetic, why do you CONSTANTLY bring other characters down so much? Storm’s fans are so damn insecure.
    1) I don't bring Jean down. Bringing a character down means you try and scale them back from power levels they have demonstrated in canon. I merely use canon to accurately state where Jean's power levels are.

2) I am not saying that Storm has to be the focus of every single story arc, but the way she has been written in the X-Men books for the last decade is abysmal. So, yeah, I and other Storm fans are going to complain about that.

3) Sure, Guggenheim gave Storm this two-parter, but he did so in a way write the character down by ignoring the awesome forward development Coates gave her in Black Panther. What's going on in Gold with Storm is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Storm has had a hammer here but not in Red or PR
    There is no continuity anymore.

Jean is chillin', scanning Rachel here, when she's supposedly on the run from the authorities and in hiding in Red(with Storm in tow, but Storm can also go on a side mission to Kenya). Not to mention Rachel was infested by Cassie weeks ago in that annual, and yet Jean does a scan on her here and sees no problems. Meanwhile. Forge is Cassie's puppet in Red, while he's on the road with Dazzler in Astonishing. Dazzler, whose tour is an abject failure in Astonishing, but was drawing huge crowds in her solo oneshot a few weeks ago that set up her appearance in Astonishing....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Jean is chillin', scanning Rachel here, when she's supposedly on the run from the authorities and in hiding in Red(with Storm in tow, but Storm can also go on a side mission to Kenya). Not to mention Rachel was infested by Cassie weeks ago in that annual, and yet Jean does a scan on her here and sees no problems. Meanwhile. Forge is Cassie's puppet in Red, while he's on the road with Dazzler in Astonishing. Dazzler, whose tour is an abject failure in Astonishing, but was drawing huge crowds in her solo oneshot a few weeks ago that set up her appearance in Astonishing....
    this made me even more confused with the xmen continuity. I hear it's no better on the avengers side either. I wish editors would do better with this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

What? Clearly there's a timeskip already put in Red. It's ahead of all the X:Color Books right now. Just because books are published the same week or weeks doesn't mean that's where it's set.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) I don't bring Jean down. Bringing a character down means you try and scale them back from power levels they have demonstrated in canon. I merely use canon to accurately state where Jean's power levels are.

2) I am not saying that Storm has to be the focus of every single story arc, but the way she has been written in the X-Men books for the last decade is abysmal. So, yeah, I and other Storm fans are going to complain about that.

3) Sure, Guggenheim gave Storm this two-parter, but he did so in a way write the character down by ignoring the awesome forward development Coates gave her in Black Panther. What's going on in Gold with Storm is trash.
    I agree with your point in 3.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Oh wow, you are right about Forge

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    What? Clearly there's a timeskip already put in Red. It's ahead of all the X:Color Books right now. Just because books are published the same week or weeks doesn't mean that's where it's set.
    Actually Red takes place on the past. The current arc is a flashback. The continuity of things across Marvel is messed up
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.

BANNED

You are correct. We can also add to your list what Guggenheim is doing right now to Storm in Gold and how it doesn't align with the development Coates gave Ororo in Black Panther's Adversary story arc. However, in this case with Jean Grey and Cassandra Nova, I don't think it would make a difference whether or not canon was being observed here. Nova has always dwarfed Jean telepathically. In New X-Men, in issue 116, we saw Jean try and attack Cassie Nova's mind only to find Nova's mind to be a trap that easily ensnared her. In all the subsequent showings of Jean and Nova during that series, Jean had the Phoenix Force (Jean got the PF in New X-Men #120).

Then, in X-Men Red #1, Nova took control of that senator and spoke to Jean through her, yet Jean was still unable to pick up that Nova had taken mental possession of her. Heck, Jean didn't even catch on that anything was wrong with the senator's mind until right before her head blew up. Furthermore, it wasn't until Jean's powers were amplified by Searebro (which was stated to be a stronger amplification device than either Cerebro, Cerebra, or anything built before) that Jean finally found out it was Nova behind the whole anti-mutant conspiracy. Finally, from what Nova said to Jean at the time she found out, Nova wasn't making any real effort (relative to her power levels) to shield her presence from Jean, hence she said, "Hello, Jean, I'm surprised it took you this long."

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hx0PRqWrM...600/RCO013.jpg
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pwt1mExt_...600/RCO017.jpg
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VtcfAa7Cq...600/RCO018.jpg

Notice how Jean then exclaims, "Cassandra Nova" in surprise when she finally realizes who is behind everything.

So, while I agree with you for the most part, where Jean is concerned, it is perfectly canonically sound for her to be constantly duped psychically and out-telepathed by Nova.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.

lol, you will take the slightest opportunity to trash Jean at every turn!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Actually Red takes place on the past. The current arc is a flashback. The continuity of things across Marvel is messed up
    It's a flashback only in relation to the spread we got on #1. But don't exactly know how far that is from all the other books excpet that it is in the future. Enough that we know Jean has been firmly established at the school for some time. Astonishing #14 and Gold #33 are after the Red Annual but still before #1.

Maybe Cassandra is using Rachel to hide from Jean and has taken full control of Rachels mind.

WTF What are you guys even talking about with those scans of Red? Jean doesn't just randomly sense stuff, Cassandra isn't even physically there. She has to actually look at people's minds to find something. That's how telepathy in general is usually written lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    WTF What are you guys even talking about with those scans of Red? Jean doesn't just randomly sense stuff, Cassandra isn't even physically there. She has to actually look at people's minds to find something. That's how telepathy in general is usually written lol.
    Not necessarily. When Cassie Nova took over that senator and spoke to Jean through her, the fact that Jean could not tell what was going on doesn't bode well for Jean as a psi. In the scan below, notice how a weakened and ravaged Exodus was able to hear the psi-conversation going on between X-Man and Cable in X-Man vol. 1 #14:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/Xn2nt3J1p_...cSSbhVff=s1600

Yet, Jean could not tell that Nova was speaking through that senator.

Also, even Storm (a non-telepathic character) was able to recognize Candra speaking through Cyclops in X-Men #60:
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/LBNT-m9i0j...3ZAyl9QQ=s1600
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/vAOLyKAkLf...NqYCRSJ6=s1600

Maybe Ororo was able to detect the unique energy signature of Candra's own power radiating off of Cyclops? Who knows? The issue did not offer an explanation. However, again, Jean could not tell that Nova was speaking through that senator.

This is frequently how Jean is portrayed when she doesn't have the PF or some other amplification device. Her feats and skill level tends to be shown as considerably weaker than a bunch of other telepaths.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    She looked inside Rachels mind and found nothing.
    I have not read red so i don't know anything about that.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

If you guys actually read Red you will see that Jean has been holding back. She feared the Phoenix and has been holding back all this time, until now that she is free from it. she isn't being hyped or overated. She is finally unleashing her powers without the fear of ending in tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    She looked inside Rachels mind and found nothing.
    I have not read red so i don't know anything about that.
    That's just a plot hole by Guggs. You can clearly see on the issue that is not meant as a plot point.