Orphan
    Commander Cold
    Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)
    Azrael (Michael Lane)
    Huntress
    Wild Dog
    Speedy (Mia Dearden)
    Question (Vic Sage)
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Now we are way-off-topic, but plot re-use is likely as old as story-telling. Two tribes met, and they swapped stories. Some could be re-used as is, but some stories could have its setting and characters changed and thus be improved in the new environment. The stories of the rightful king and the usurper brother go back to Osiris and Set of Egyptian mythology. The love triangle with shaken loyalties you can find with Arthur, Guinivere, and Lancelot. The small group betrayed and stranded behind enemy lines go back to Anabasis (except that group wasn't that small).

Right now, I feel that our current culture is obsessed with originality, and it shows all over pop culture. But there are very few truly original ideas that appear every year, and originality is to me no substitute for good story-telling. There is nothing wrong in taking a good plot, shave off the details, substitute your own, and mixing a bit.
    I don't think we're obsessed with originality. Quite the opposite in fact. Look at the number of sequels, reboots and remakes of popular properties that have been coming out. Plenty of our media is just recycling old plots and character archetypes we're already used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think we're obsessed with originality. Quite the opposite in fact. Look at the number of sequels, reboots and remakes of popular properties that have been coming out. Plenty of our media is just recycling old plots and character archetypes we're already used to.
    Wasn't there a story in the bible about one guy killing another guy?

Man, how many times has that been reused?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wasn't there a story in the bible about one guy killing another guy?

Man, how many times has that been reused?
    Isn't that Cain? He was in the New 52 and he was a vampire. To be honest I liked his design.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Isn't that Cain? He was in the New 52 and he was a vampire. To be honest I liked his design.
    Dean Cain? Superman was just on "Lucifer".... oh wait, that was the other Superman, Tom Welling playing Cain....
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-03-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    WB television shows were known for recycling some of the plots from their famous films for particular episodes, while Wagon Train had a few episodes based on Dickens novels.
    Archie Comics is guilty of it too.

It's hard to catch them because a lot of those stories have not sniffed a trade or collection. Or the creative team is not listed.

I have seen stories from the 1950-60s feature Archie, Jughead, Reggie, Moose and/or Dilton in either the original comic or EARLY 70s-80s digest.
    In the late 80s-now digest suddenly those stories feature Chuck Clayton or some variation of him. Some stories you could just TELL it was retraced and colored.

I remember one story with Chuck & Dilton-I have the original comic, one of the early digests and one from the 2000s with that story.
    Chuck's hair style was different in every story and on one both had different colored and styled shirts.

Another Dilton story had him as the school mascot-it went for being an Eagle to another animal.

I won't even get into how may covers I have seen redrawn with different artist names.
    And you have to ask the question of those stories that no name was listed for them-how many of those stories were done by Tom Deflaco-who was working at Archie.

As did some of the shows adapted from overseas.

The first 6 episodes of Sanford & Son were exact copies of UK's Steptoe & Son (mind you the Sanford & Son was taken from that).

The Ropers, All in The Family & Three's Company too. Three Company even rehashed a script from one season to the second to last season.

BANNED

Something about Dragnet -- I think it would have helped if Joe Friday had had partners who were more animated. Pairing him with guys who were as low-key as he was didn't provide enough contrast.

Something about Jack Webb -- although he went though a rough divorce with Julie London that cost him a lot of money, her later cast her and her next husband, Bobby Troup, in Emergency and made them rich. Few men would have done that, and he deserves respect for it.