5 13.89%
  • No opinion

2 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default A street-level team title

Well, there are a few people who want a team title with ONLY the street-level Charlton characters on it. And there are a few others want a title that includes ALL the Charlton characters, regardless of their power levels.

I just don't think that's realistic or will sell. So this poll is to clarify things and see what people think about a team title with pretty much all of DC's street-level characters on it, which I think would have a better chance of selling. Remember, it's HARD to sell an ongoing!

It would include:

-- Batman

-- Green Arrow

-- Black Canary

-- The street-level JSA members

-- The street-level Charlton characters

-- And maybe some others who you folks might suggest

Don't worry if there are a lot of members on the team. Every member doesn't need to appear in every story.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-27-2018 at 06:36 AM.

BANNED

Hard no.

I very much dislike the Black Canary/Green Arrow ship.

And this line-up seems more about checking boxes than about what characters work well together or what the book will be about.

BANNED

BTW, I'd move Batman out of Justice League and into this title, where he'd be a better fit. But that's not part of the poll.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    BTW, I'd move Batman out of Justice League and into this title, where he'd be a better fit. But that's not part of the poll.
    Hang on, I have read this book.

It only lasted 32 issues.

A "A street-level team title"? Possibly.

However, how you suggested it:
    Well, there are a few people who want a team title with ONLY the street-level Charlton characters on it. And there are a few others want a title that includes ALL the Charlton characters, regardless of their power levels.

I just don't think that's realistic or will sell. So this poll is to clarify things and see what people think about a team title with pretty much all of DC's street-level characters on it, which I think would have a better chance of selling. Remember, it's HARD to sell an ongoing!

It would include:

-- Batman

-- Green Arrow

-- Black Canary

-- The street-level JSA members

-- The street-level Charlton characters

-- And maybe some others who you folks might suggest

Don't worry if there are a lot of members on the team. Every member doesn't need to appear in every story.
    No, not really interested in that.

A "street-level" team would be better off with fewer members and more geographically focused, like in just one city / state. With the monster group you've suggested, how are they suppose to get together easily? If they're scattered all over the country, what motivates them to get together with any frequency?

Incredible Member

Sure. I’d have it be the new incarnation of the Outsiders.

Green Arrow
    White Canary
    Black Lightning
    Vixen
    Midnighter

Basically have it be DC’s answer to the Defenders.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

We just had that with Birds of Prey and it didn't sell. I like all teams to be a mixtures of non-powered. lightly-powered, and heavily-powered heroes. Variety is the spice of life.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Roy Harper

Connor Hawke

Artemis Crock

Jade Nguyen

Gavin King

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    We just had that with Birds of Prey and it didn't sell. I like all teams to be a mixtures of non-powered. lightly-powered, and heavily-powered heroes. Variety is the spice of life.
    Given that describes virtually every super team made by DC, a street level team would be variety.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Given that describes virtually every super team made by DC, a street level team would be variety.
    Yep.

If DC would publish this, the JSA, the LoS and a Flash team title, they'd be rolling. All of those offer something different from what we're seeing now.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Sure. I’d have it be the new incarnation of the Outsiders.

Green Arrow
    White Canary
    Black Lightning
    Vixen
    Midnighter

Basically have it be DC’s answer to the Defenders.
    Robotman would have to correct me, because he was the one noticing it and I've never read Marvel's series, but the Unexpected are supposed to become the Defender's counterpart.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Robotman would have to correct me, because he was the one noticing it and I've never read Marvel's series, but the Unexpected are supposed to become the Defender's counterpart.
    The Unexpected are analogues of the 70's comic version of The Defenders. I think SmokeMonster was suggesting his line up could be DC's answer to the more recent Netflix version of the Defenders which is pretty much a street level team.

So this poll is to clarify things and see what people think about a team title with pretty much all of DC's street-level characters on it, which I think would have a better chance of selling. Remember, it's HARD to sell an ongoing!
    To clarify, I voted "yes" to the idea of a street level team before realizing it was meant to be an endorsement of your particular iteration, which I do not agree with. Your concept seems way overloaded to me - with rare exceptions, team books work better when you have the space to create an interesting dynamic between characters. And throwing in members from all these different teams seems odd when they already have established dynamics between their other team members. Putting together one or two members from different teams might work if there was a good reason,(whether it's something in their backstories that they have in common, or interesting personality contrasts, etc.) but it seems the only thing your team has in common is relatively low power levels and I don't see how that concept will sell without a more interesting glue to give this concept a reason for being.

Yes but not with Batman: Maybe the Following Lineup

Nightwing
    Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    White Canary
    Commander Cold
    The Huntress
    Black Lightning
    The Question (Sage)

I am unsure of the idea of a street level book but if they were to do it, they need to keep Batman off of it and keep Green Arrow and Black Canary away from regular appearances in it. If they do this they need to stop retreading old territory, which they are already dangerously close to doing with the concept itself. There needs to be a reason beyond common creator, or previous team affiliation, or arbitrary power level. Also, ideally (and i feel like i've said this a bunch but) this should focus on new, undervalued, and/or underutilized characters. There needs to be a space on DC to give these type of characters a chance to develop and build an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    ...Also, ideally (and i feel like i've said this a bunch but) this should focus on new, undervalued, and/or underutilized characters. There needs to be a space on DC to give these type of characters a chance to develop and build an audience.
    I whole-heartedly agree with this idea, but if it were up to me, I'd throw in a couple of established heroes in there to help sell it, unless there's a larger concept that sells it rather than the lineup. (but no, not Batman - he already has his own subgenre) In my mind, it would be akin to the JLA where there are characters with solo titles, but the heart usually ends up being the team members without their own title where the team book is where they get development.