View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

60 53.57%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

33 29.46%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

15 13.39%

3 2.68%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

1 0.89%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

REVIEW: Storm #1

STORM #1
    writer. Greg Pak
    artist. Victor Ibáñez

"When I was just a girl, I called myself goddess... and I lived in the sky. Sometimes I wonder why I ever left. I'm a mutant with the power to control the weather. Here's where I belong... every nerve connected with the wind, the clouds, the vapor."

~ Storm [Queen Ororo Monroe]
    spoilers:
    SYNOPSIS: Storm [Queen Ororo Monroe] floats above a small village in Santo Marco; where a tidal waves is about to hit. Despite stopping the tidal waves, the local army is not happy at her presence, making it clear Santo Marco is NOT a place mutants are allowed. Back at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning Storm controls an unruly student, Creep [Marisol Guerra] who isn't happy being at the school. She wants to go home to her people and calls Storm a sell-out (which gets a swift lightning-bolt up her ass). Enraged, Storm ends up back in Santo Marco, helping the village clear the debris and rebuild their village. When the local army from Suncorp's object, Storm takes down the armed guards, resulting in an uprising of villagers across the coast, putting an end to the violent non-government milita. Upon returning to the Jean Grey School, Storm allows Creep to return to her family in Mexico.
    end of spoilers
    cover: I got Skottie Young's adorable Baby Storm; utterly in love with it. His covers are magnificent. The other (SEE: below) is also by Ibáñez, and it's friggin' AMAZING!!! [grade: A++]

LOVED
    1. Storm's inner monologue. Greg Pak gets our Goddess. He just gets her.
    2. Victor Ibáñez draws a BEAUTIFUL form. She can be fierce, loving, kind and strong. He conveys a lot in her face and stance, kudos good sir!
    3. Storm having her picture taking with a little fan girl. CUTE!
    4. [inner thought] Henry's sweating. I realise I've unconsciously agitated the air molecules, heating up the room. I also realise I'm not particularly sorry. LOL!!!!
    5. Storm looks so bad-ass taking Creep down a peg-or-two.
    6. Storm... kicking... ASS!!! Even with a gun in her face she's glorious!
    7. [inner monologue] "When I was a girl... the sky called me home. Should be interesting to see what calls me next."

LIKED
    1. the clear parallels to the anti-mutant bill of Santo Marco with that of (too many) countries in the world currently pushing bills to criminalise homosexuality.
    2. Okay, I dislike Beast, but I actually like him as her "Oracle" in her ear. He's a good choice for that job.
    3. I like the idea of "mutant names" being banned (in the sense it never occured to me how others might seem threatened by "mutant names", wanting to refer to someone only by their human name. Cool concept.
    4. Creep is an interesting character (kind of a darker Klara from Runaways), and I like her perspective on the world. Not everyone should be an X-man, and it's good that Greg Pak acknowledges that.
    5. YEY! Bling, Cipher, Rockslide, Evan, Transonic and Pixie cameos!!!
    6. when Creep is happy flowers blossom in her hair. That's very sweet.
    7. Creep returning to Mexico. I like that, I like that she is allowed to go where she feels she needs to be. And that trail of flowers was BEAUTIFUL!

DISLIKED

OVERALL
    Stunning! I... words of joy cannot be correctly expressed. THIS is the Storm we waited for, a woman who is kind, fierce, determined, stubborn, controling, powerful; EVERYTHING you could want. Greg Pak didn't shy away from tackling big issues or making clear comments on society and the Marvel universe. He explored the idea some feel more connected to their cultural roots than mutant, he explored a country having an anti-mutant bill, he explored that Storm has been far too passive and "un-Storm" in recent years (something the wonderful Brian Wood is also exploring). I couldn't be happier, it was such a wonderful read (as was X-men #16, by the way).
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A+]

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-23-2014 at 07:55 AM.

love it!
    Storm being who she deserve and not who they tell her to be.

Is she leader of mutant kind now

It was a good first issue, hopefully what Creep said affects her more and she takes a much more active role in the Marvel Universe. What she did for the village should just be a sign of things to come.

I hope Creep is recurring character !

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It was a good first issue, hopefully what Creep said affects her more and she takes a much more active role in the Marvel Universe. What she did for the village should just be a sign of things to come.
    Marisol was my favorite part of the issue. I've complained a ton that I believe it's silly when people take up the idea of mutant over whatever they were prior. I think there has been some flanderization of the line because of this. It was cool to see a character that identifies more with her upbringing (who she is) over being an X-Man.

I'd love to see more of her in the future but hope she doesn't join the X-Men "just cuz'". I'd like her to remain a supporting character and only join if and when she feels it is her calling.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Can't wait to pick this up in a few hours!

Have been waiting way too long to read this. Friday can't come sooner enough. So I take it Storm is back to being the Goddess of life and mutantkind that we all grew up to love, and no longer a snotty uptight schoolmarm that she's been written as lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Marisol was my favorite part of the issue. I've complained a ton that I believe it's silly when people take up the idea of mutant over whatever they were prior. I think there has been some flanderization of the line because of this. It was cool to see a character that identifies more with her upbringing (who she is) over being an X-Man.

I'd love to see more of her in the future but hope she doesn't join the X-Men "just cuz'". I'd like her to remain a supporting character and only join if and when she feels it is her calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    I hope Creep is recurring character !
    Yes. That "sellout" scene sold it for me and i also hope Marisol continues to be featured in the series for the prospective. Pak's doing a lot of good.

Overall, this was unexpectedly amazing. Other than the unnecessary 'former Queen of Wakanda' being listed amongst used aliases (lol because no one cares), this was an entirely good read. Lol at "sorry, Henry. You're breaking up." Haha Henry.

Also, i hope Ibanez stays on this series for issues and issues to come. This looked amazing.
    Last edited by DavidMunroe; 07-23-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Have been waiting way too long to read this. Friday can't come sooner enough. So I take it Storm is back to being the Goddess of life and mutantkind that we all grew up to love, and no longer a snotty uptight schoolmarm that she's been written as lately?
    IMO, a little bit of both. But the good tremendously outweighs the bad.

Good stuff !

First of, I loved the art. Ibanez draws a great Storm. Beautiful colors as well.

The writing was quite good. This addressed some real world issues and issues with the X-Men mythos while still remaining accessible for a new reader for example.

I loved Marisol calling her a sellout, an 'insult' X-Fans love to throw around towards characters who prioritize non-mutant centric things in their lives. This time however it meant to call her out in regards to a real ethnic/racial aspect. This is also why I hope to see more of Marisol/Creep, as she seems to consider her ethnic background more important than her newly discovered mutanthood. I like how Storm pretended (through the narration) that it didn't bother her (when it clearly did) and then proceeded to act accordingly.
    I hope Marisol keeps questioning Ororo and that they influence each other positively. Could make for an interesting dynamic.

Loved it.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Omg !!!! Trying so hard not to read spoilers can't wait to pick up my copy after work.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Goddess! I nearly weeped with joy at my desk at this issue. Greg Pak is wonderful and just GETS Storm so well! Though I wasn't surprised considering how good his X-Treme X-Men v2 was.

Also MINOR SPOILER: Wolverine was NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!!!!

Which main X-Men make an appearance? Nightcrawler? Just curious.

I thought this was a very well-done book that felt safe and didn't really push anything or do anything too risky or memorable.

The art was clean and attractive and presented a Storm that was beautiful and strong without really doing anything to change or highlight the character. The writing was the same: totally in character and emphasized the strengths of the character, that being Storm's heart, wisdom, and sense of values. The plot was effective and offered some nice themes and moral lessons. However, nothing really exciting or memorable was done. I gave it a 4/5. It was again, very well-done for what it was, and a nice tribute to the character and what makes her such a wonderful role model, but there was nothing exciting or creative here, and no real reason given to continue with the series unless you are a huge Storm fan and will be satisfied reading more of these types of nice but inoffensive stories.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman