View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

60 53.57%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

33 29.46%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

15 13.39%

3 2.68%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

1 0.89%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Marisol was my favorite part of the issue. I've complained a ton that I believe it's silly when people take up the idea of mutant over whatever they were prior. I think there has been some flanderization of the line because of this. It was cool to see a character that identifies more with her upbringing (who she is) over being an X-Man.

I'd love to see more of her in the future but hope she doesn't join the X-Men "just cuz'". I'd like her to remain a supporting character and only join if and when she feels it is her calling.

Great post. Creep was awesome. Good character that I also hope will continue to be a supporting character in future issues. So far, so good.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I haven't picked this up yet but is the first issue stand alone?? Or is there some ongoing plot?
    Stand alone, but I'm pretty sure this issue's events will have a repercussions for Ororo down the line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Stand alone, but I'm pretty sure this issue's events will have a repercussions for Ororo down the line.
    Because she'll have gotten another group of people killed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    In the words of Blake Lively's foreword to her new lifestyle blog Preserve:"I am hungry, though... not just for enchiladas," she writes. "I'm hungry for experience."

This sounds like the Pak tack right here. Is Marisol the stand-in for the judgemental masses just waiting to tear down the artifice (the Gwynnabe) in her most ostentatious, in full repose in the Room of Comfort?
    I was REALLY hoping that you were joking.

Then I checked.

The Horror.

Ultimate Member

I quite enjoyed the first issue. Sure it was a pretty simple story. But the writing was good, the art was decent, and I think that it mostly serves to set up Storm's "mission statement" moving forward.

Amazing Member

OP greatly overhyping this issue. It was a good read, but not great. Art isn't my cup of tea either to be honest.

Creep seems like a fun character, it just a shame that so many other underused students constantly get used as wallpaper. And where is Dust?! She can't even graduate to wallpaper status these days.

Overall, it was an issue to set the tone of the book. Nothing draw dropping, but good enough to keep me interested to see where it'll ultimately go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

1. the clear parallels to the anti-mutant bill of Santo Marco with that of (too many) countries in the world currently pushing bills to criminalise homosexuality.
    Reaching hard there.

Absolutely loved it. The storyline was well done. It was a nice set up for more issues to come. I am interested in seeing how Marisol will become a villain in on this. Maybe Callisto may have something to do with it or maybe even Mystique.(since she's everywhere now). I loved Storm's inner voice and the power development was very well done. Her connection to air is very deep. Beast is a good supporting role and I'm looking forward to the next issue to come. Pak and Ibanez did a wonderf job. Kudos to this team.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

This was a great first issue, I love the voice Pak has given Storm and the creativity involved with using her powers while showing off some of her awesome hand to hand skills. I hope he follows through and shows us the ramifications of her actions and how it affects her standing with the JGS and the rest of the world. Now I'm wishing Pak could write some of my favorite characters now
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    STORM #1
    writer. Greg Pak
    artist. Victor Ibáñez

"When I was just a girl, I called myself goddess... and I lived in the sky. Sometimes I wonder why I ever left. I'm a mutant with the power to control the weather. Here's where I belong... every nerve connected with the wind, the clouds, the vapor."

~ Storm [Queen Ororo Monroe]

OVERALL
    Stunning! I... words of joy cannot be correctly expressed. THIS is the Storm we waited for, a woman who is kind, fierce, determined, stubborn, controling, powerful; EVERYTHING you could want. Greg Pak didn't shy away from tackling big issues or making clear comments on society and the Marvel universe. He explored the idea some feel more connected to their cultural roots than mutant, he explored a country having an anti-mutant bill, he explored that Storm has been far too passive and "un-Storm" in recent years (something the wonderful Brian Wood is also exploring). I couldn't be happier, it was such a wonderful read (as was X-men #16, by the way).
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A+]
    Terrific review of a wonderful first issue, Kieran. The art is stunning and the story was excellent but what I really loved was the characterization of Storm as someone passionate, impetuous, compassionate, powerful, queenly, and noble-hearted enough to admit when she's wrong. It feels like far too long since Storm was written this well. I like that it asked difficult choices of her all the way through and I've loved the choices she ended up making. Love the relationship with Henry, too.

I also really loved the story dealing with Creep; it felt like a really good rebuttal to the mind-wiping approach to teenage mutant recruitment of the old days, with a story of a homesick mutant who felt more culturally connected to her own family than she did to a group of people who happened to share a genetic code with her, and who did end up going home. That felt long overdue and was really well dealt with. I've been excited about this solo for a long time and Greg Pak did not disappoint. Can't wait for Issue #2. (So many great solos right now!)
    Still really, really pissed off that they're killing Logan instead of resolving Schism.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

So I haven't picked the issue up yet but nice to see how warm a reception the first issue has gotten thus far based off most posters comments. I am curios to see how well the title does considering there is only on more week left in the month.

How much do you think the title will sale this month? I'm hoping for 50K+.

At any rate I cant wait to pick this up from the sounds of it it seems like it will be a great read!
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Gold!

A very solid start with Amazing art and character moments. I've been a Storm fan for years, and this was just written exactly the way I'd hoped it would be. An in and out story about Storm finally getting her nerve and giving the finger to everything and everyone, and just doing what she believes is the right thing. That's the Storm I fell in love with, and that's the goddess I've been waiting to make a big come back. This issue established that in spades and it could not have been a more perfect way to start this book off.

I thought the previews gave away too much of the big money shots though, which is probably why no one feels there was anything memorable about the book, but that opening scene was jaw dropping and awe-inspiring, as well as the scene with her taking out the soldiers. It was thrilling! Greg Pak has provided us the very thing that's been missing from Storm in all of the other books. Her sense of individuality, overwhelming compassion and unpredictability. All backed by a titanic degree of power, skill/finesse, stature and nobility.

Thank you Marvel for this gift! HAppy Storm Day!

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTG View Post
    Reaching hard there.
    Is it really? It's really disturbing, the way Russia's criminalized homosexuality, for instance. I can see there being an anti-mutant equivalent in the MU and the writing of one being inspired by real-life events.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Its out now?!? I thought it didn't come out til August! *mumble-grumble*

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Its out now?!? I thought it didn't come out til August! *mumble-grumble*
    No, it's now!

Right now!

Yay!

Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Ultimate Member

So what issue is Yukio scheduled to appear in again?