View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

60 53.57%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

33 29.46%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

15 13.39%

3 2.68%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

1 0.89%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    To be fair, Storm lost her cool and started throwing lightning around. Regardless of the teenage girl's emoness, she's still a teenage girl and a student. Storm, as a teacher, headmistress, and long-time X-Men, should have known better and restrained herself some more. You don't get to threaten your students just because they tick you off.
    Yeah but it was all theatrics. Storm knew what she was doing flourish wasn't in any danger it was the equivalent of a scolding. The calm,restrained approach clearly wasn't working. Students don't always need adults to be their friends, in fact they respect someone who can be hard at times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah but it was all theatrics. Storm knew what she was doing flourish wasn't in any danger it was the equivalent of a scolding. The calm,restrained approach clearly wasn't working. Students don't always need adults to be their friends, in fact they respect someone who can be hard at times.
    Yeah, you still don't threaten to electrocute students.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Yeah, you still don't threaten to electrocute students.
    i haven't read it yet(and given the lack of comic stores here i doubt i will anyway)did she threaten the girl or did she become upset enough that it manifested as a thunderstorm?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I overall enjoyed this issue (8.5 out of 10) and I really do look forward to seeing more of Storm's adventures. I walked into the comic knowing very little about the character and came away from it being a fan of hers.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroexxx View Post
    i died when the air heated.
    Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry

Anyway, this issue gave me life.

It was so warm today I wish Ororo could have sent a cooling breeze to refresh me, but I chuckled to myself when I looked at the blue sky and said a little blessing in her name.

It was a dramatic effect, no threat or danger. The girl had ruined the cafeteria and called Ororo a sellout. She got mad, thunder cracked and the rains came. She walked out telling her to clean it up. So good!

Anyways, yes Pak and Ibanez delivered a great story. It was definitely a #1, status quo building, establishing issue, which is to be expected, so if you had never heard of Storm before, this would have caught you up real quickly. For established readers, its more of an affirmation, reinstating what Claremont built all those years ago. Beautifuly done, though, and I look forward to seeing where Pak goes from here.

Ibanez does some really nice things here. In some of the pages he seems to be struggling with Ororo's facial geometry and things get a little wonky, but overall he found an excellent balance of her fierce and beautiful aspects while injecting a very human quality to ground her. He captures her body quite well for the most part, and does very expressive poses, which add layers to the storytelling.

The colorist, Ruth Redmond, does okay. It's solid, the palette is subdued but well composed. I guess I would enjoy more value shifts, instead of so much flat tones, but I can understand the limitations of time and budget and perhaps even stylistic preference.

Slight nit pick, I am so over Anka's white gloves on this costume and would love to see bare hands with the little strap like they've been doing in Wolverine and the X-Men.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

So this issue was phenomenal!!! I felt this issue gave us the perfect all powerful goddess as well as the human and imperfect Storm I know and loved. There were so many great moments where Storm turns her back on the skies denoucing her status as a "god" to accept the gifts that come with being amongst regular people (sharing the photo with the young girl, helping the islanders to rebuild their homes). I loved how she was so frustrated and angry with creep that she impulsively responded to her insult with rage and fire in the sky. She kept saying she was just a child but her words cut her so deep. It felt good to see that the reserved and tempered Ororo can also be impetious and unpredictable much like the power she weilds. With all that occurred on panel creep calling her a sell out was the thing to pushed her over edge. This anger led her to standing against hanks request and the militia request not to return to the island. She stood firm and didn't care what the nay sayers said and it was this no non sense storm that I haven't seen in such a long time that I was so happy to see again under Paks pen.

Pak not only was able to grasp the complexity of her personality but also her powers as well. He acknowledged her control of the ocean currents, her ability to hear the faint hi of child carried to her by her winds surrounded by a raging wall of water, and demonstrated that you dont need weather to create a storm when she made it rain/lightning inside the cafeteria. (Take note aaron) this felt like a throwback to when she created the monsoon to flush out mastermind so many years ago.

So overall I gave it a 5. Im not sure that non fans will stick around however I hope rhat readers will give it a shot. I think pak has many great things in store for the character.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-23-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I overall enjoyed this issue (8.5 out of 10) and I really do look forward to seeing more of Storm's adventures. I walked into the comic knowing very little about the character and came away from it being a fan of hers.
    This is really awesome.. please if ever u feel inclined come join us in the storm forum

I liked it! Greg Pak has a great grasp of Storm's voice and powers, and it will be interesting to see her in situations like these.

Victor Ibanez impressed with the artwork and the color by Ruth Redmond were fantastic.

BUT I really disliked Creep, hope she's not a recurring character. Would've prefer some of the already existing students to get the spotlight.

And of course Mexico is a freakin' wasteland, as usual!

BANNED

Now that someone has mentioned it, I can't believe the editor missed Hank being called Henry. Seems odd. But one of my favorite exchanges besides the "hi" scene was Hank telling Storm "we don't want an incident." And she replies "who's we?" I was like YAASSS, bitch, YAAAASSSSSSSS! My girl worked it out this issue. Thanks, Mr. Pak. You have no idea how happy you've made me today.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Now that someone has mentioned it, I can't believe the editor missed Hank being called Henry. Seems odd. But one of my favorite exchanges besides the "hi" scene was Hank telling Storm "we don't want an incident." And she replies "who's we?" I was like YAASSS, bitch, YAAAASSSSSSSS! My girl worked it out this issue. Thanks, Mr. Pak. You have no idea how happy you've made me today.
    His nickname is hank but birth name is Henry.

Spectacular Member just-my-2cents's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    That is as joyous to hear as the issue being released today. I was able to read it today because of the benevolence of a friend and I must say I am truly pleased with greg paks offering of storm.HE get her voice perfectly and he sets a quite interesting tone. Notable nod to his creation creep and the rest is history.Prod Proud Porud to be a storm fan,

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb Storm #1 Review!

I Got My Copies today and Knew I was in for a treat of reading, but indeed I was even more impressed then I thought going in even!

What is KEY to this issue, even more then either other comics I read or shows I watch on TV is the HIGH level of Re-Readability Storm #1 had! This is especially good for getting into the themes of the book, the ones at the start get a greater complement from the themes from the middle and the end. In short, it is a book that when you read it all, you re-read each part again and it adds the mainly layers of who Storm is, Her History, who she became, how she has grown in both skill in her powers and knowledge of herself and her Roots.

The Beginning is a lovely take into who Storm was, a girl of the sky and then goes into who she had became. All her achievements being more skilled in her powers to save more lives, Loving who she is and how far she had come. But what Pax does in a Brilliant way of story telling is that he takes these Roots of Storm as says, even thought growing from them is good and how much you achieved, it is important to know when to go back to them, that is where Creep comes in. Creep is Very Important to this story, IMO she represents a young Storm, she is proud of her roots and feels she was taken away from them, even thought the school was a place to help her, she feels it is holding her back and making her into someone she does not want to be. The Sell-Out comment is the Key word in this book, yes it was a Term by a Girl just angry, but it had meaning to combining both Mature Storm, younger Storm and Storm's Anger at the Situation in the Village. Pak's writing in doing this I Greatly Compliment him for, I did not notice it all in my 1st read, not all of it, BUT on other read-threws it was clear and a brilliant piece of story-telling work!

Creep reminded Storm that doing all things by the book at times was not always the best way to fix things, Beast represented that and even thought Beast had some points about not starting trouble, it symbolized Politics, but no solution to what are the real problems on the ground. Older Storm with all her skills and following things by the book could not help the Village by that route, Creep Reminded her of her Roots and having to follow both her younger self and her heart, just like Creep Wants to do. This leads to good things indeed!

By Following her heart, Storm goes back to Santo Marco and sees all the Politics lead to nothing to help the Village, so going by her heart Storm Helps the Village Rebuild and even more uncovers the Armies Double Agenda of taking down the Village. By following her heart, Storm stops the destruction and saves the village, but also by doing this makes things public in the corruption of the Army and Makes the President of Santo Marco have to change things.

Creep was key to this issue and Storm Makes knowledge of that by the end of the Story and shows Storm had some good Character Development in by Learning to follow her heart at times and her roots.

This Re-Readability and Deep in-story message you get more and more each time I read it Really Impressed me and showed Pax has an Appreciation for Storm on Multiple Levels! He is also Not afraid to have Storm learn lessons too and grow from them in the most unlikely ways, aka Creep! ;-)

The Art by Ibanez is not just good, but gets better the story goes along. He achieves both well at both Landscapes, multiple people on the same page and Close-Ups of Characters, Especially Storm and Creep! His Close Ups of Storm really Impressed me with his showing of emotions on Storm's face was nicely Done!

Overall, my Vote is 5 out of 5! =)

Really, their where not mess-ups, no story loses, not holes I could find and especially nothing to critic to say has to be better, everything is where it had to be! More-over, the Story is Mult-Layered and has HIGH Re-Readability! Pak indeed Shows when you love who and what you are writing, Good Things Will Come!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 07-23-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I Got My Copies today and Knew I was in for a treat of reading, but indeed I was even more impressed then I thought going in even!

What is KEY to this issue, even more then other either comics I read or shows I watch on TV is the HIGH level of Re-Readability Storm #1 had! This is especially good for getting into the themes of the book, the ones at the start get a greater complement from the themes from the middle and the end. In short, it is a book that when you read it all, you re-read each part again and it adds the mainly layers of who Storm is, Her History, who she became, how she has grown in both skill in her powers and knowledge of herself and her Roots.

The Beginning is a lovely take into who Storm was, a girl of the sky and then goes into who she had became. All her achievements being more skilled in her powers to save more lives, Loving who she is and how far she had come. But what Pax does in a Brilliant way of story telling is that he takes these Roots of Storm as says, even thought growing from them is good and how much you achieved, it is important to know when to go back to them, that is where Creep comes in. Creep is Very Important to this story, IMO she represents a young Storm, she is proud of her roots and feels she was taken away from them, even thought the school was a place to help her, she feels it is holding her back and making her into someone she does not want to be. The Sell-Out comment is the Key word in this book, yes it was a Term by a Girl just angry, but it had meaning to combining both Mature Storm, younger Storm and Storm's Anger at the Situation in the Village. Pak's writing in doing this I Greatly Compliment him for, I did not notice it all in my 1st read, not all of it, BUT on other read-threw it was clear and a brilliant piece of story-telling work!

Creep reminded Storm that doing all things by the book at times was not always the best way to fix things, Beast represented that and even thought Beast had some points about not starting trouble, it symbolized Politics, but no solution to what are the real problems on the ground. Older Storm with all her skills and following things by the book could not help the Village by that route, Creep Reminded her of her Roots and having to follow both her younger self and her heart, just let Creep Wants to do. This leads to good things indeed!

By Following her heart, Storm goes back to Santo Marco and sees all the Politics lead to nothing to help the Village, so going by her heart Storm Helps the Village Rebuild and even more uncovers the Armies Double Agenda of taking down the Village. By following her hear, Storm stops the destruction and saves the village, but also by doing this makes things public in the corruption of the Army and Makes the President of Santo Marco have to change things.

Creep was key to this issue and Storm Makes knowledge of that by the end of the Story and shows Storm had some good Character Development in by Learning to follow her heart at times and her roots.

This Re-Readability and Deep in-story message you get more and more each time I read it Really Impressed me and showed Pax has an Appreciation for Storm on Multiple Levels! He is also Not afraid to have Storm learn lessons too and grow from them in the most unlikely ways, aka Creep! ;-)

The Art by Ibanez is not just good, but gets better the story goes along. He achieves both well at both Landscapes, multiple people on the same page and Close-Ups of Characters, Especially Storm and Creep! His Close Ups of Storm really Impressed me with his showing of emotions on Storm's face was nicely Done!

Overall, my Vote is 5 out of 5! =)

Really, their where not mess-ups, no story loses, not holes I could find and especially nothing to critic to say has to be better, everything is where it had to be! More-over, the Story is Mult-Layered and has HIGH Re-Readability! Pak indeed Shows when you love who and what you are writing, Good Things Will Come!
    Excellent synopsis CJ. I didnt think of the parallels between young Storm and creep and how Storm could possibly see herself in creep. I am jusy so pleased with Pak has just really impressed me with this first issue. Excited to see where he goes with her.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Ororo is the only one who I can see calling him Henry and it being okay.