Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a good superhero/villain novel

I just finished reading Jim Berheim's Confession of a D-list Supervillain, Origins of a D-list Supervillain, Secrets of a D-list Supervillain and Rise of a D-list Supervillain. Waiting for Fall of a D-list Supervillain to be written and released. All four books I enjoyed and recommend.

I'm looking for more superhero novels to read. Especially team books. Anyone read anything that they could recommend? The main character in D-list was an Iron Man analogue. Looking for more Iron Man analogue types of characters. A fan of the original Iron Man and his subsequent development of his armor and character. Plus it had plenty of other super powered characters. A good mixture of heroes and villains. A good mixture of natural, acquired or invented super powers.

Any suggestions with a brief synapses of characters and plot would be appreciated. I'm running out of stuff to read and I am an avid reader. I've searched through Amazon but haven't found anything appealing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I just finished reading Jim Berheim's Confession of a D-list Supervillain, Origins of a D-list Supervillain, Secrets of a D-list Supervillain and Rise of a D-list Supervillain. Waiting for Fall of a D-list Supervillain to be written and released. All four books I enjoyed and recommend.

I'm looking for more superhero novels to read. Especially team books. Anyone read anything that they could recommend? The main character in D-list was an Iron Man analogue. Looking for more Iron Man analogue types of characters. A fan of the original Iron Man and his subsequent development of his armor and character. Plus it had plenty of other super powered characters. A good mixture of heroes and villains. A good mixture of natural, acquired or invented super powers.

Any suggestions with a brief synapses of characters and plot would be appreciated. I'm running out of stuff to read and I am an avid reader. I've searched through Amazon but haven't found anything appealing so far.
    Have you tried any of the Wild Cards series of books? Most are from the 1980's - 90's so they're a bit outdated, but many of the stories were written by some famous people: George R.R Martin, Melinda Snodgrass, Roger Zelazny, etc.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 07-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Have you tried any of the Wild Cards series of books? Most are from the 1980's - 90's so they're a bit outdated, but many of the stories were written by some famous people: George R.R Martin, Melinda Snodgrass, Roger Zelazny, etc.
    No I havent. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Just purchased the very first installment from Amazon kindle version. It's been updated and expanded. 575 pages. That should keep me busy for awhile. Back in print as of November 23rd, 2010. It starts in 1946 so it will have a golden age begining. Perfect! Thanks again for the tip. I never heard of this series until your post.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

If you're interested in web novels/serials, there is Worm by Wildbow, Legion of Nothing by Jim Zoetewey, and Dave Van Domelen's ASH Universe.

Not really superhero, and kind of outside your parameters but i think are Entirely Presenting You by Nippoten and The Fifth Defiance by Walter.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 07-28-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Frank Herbert's Dune kinda goes into X-Men territory and the Sherlock Holmes novels are pretty much mastermind vs mastermind, I guess.

Some urban fantasy sort of kicks the same themes as superhero comics, some possibilities:

* Paradigms Lost by Ryk Spoor (there is an earlier edition called Digital Knight released earlier, that lacks several of the stories but is available as a free e-book). A normal human applies knowlege, a systematic mind, coolness under stress, and more than a bit of luck to take on superpowered beings.

* The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn, centered around a werewolf who finds herself embroiled in supernatural politics, trying to integrate the supernatural beings into human society, and other stuff.

* Keeping It Real and sequels by Justina Robson, where the protagonist is a Cyborg-like figure that has to work with and against supernatural beings.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Been reading Wild Cards and so far U am enjoying it. I will keep all these suggestions in mind.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Been reading Wild Cards and so far I am enjoying it. I will keep all these suggestions in mind.

BANNED

You might want to know that i am in the process of publishing my own super hero novel in Greece, the very first one of this kind in Greece.
    The name is The Scarlet Fighter of the Earth.
    I would recommend it to you but it will be written in greek and the chances of seeing it in english are pretty slim because, according to my agent, publishers are pretty hectic regarding greek authors, especially in Fantasy.
    I do send you the central character of my novel which is drawn from my friend Usagi Love Maria Eleni Vlastou.
    I also have released a fantasy novel in Greece, Sorrow Princess.
    Enjoy!
    thumbnail_popo2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should check out the Ex series by Peter Clines. It's essentially a zombie apocalypse story within a superhero universe.

Just found out that Seanan McGuire wrote a series of superhero novels: Velveteen. I haven't read them myself, but have liked a lot of what she's written earlier, and this seems like it plays to her strengths as a writer.
    Last edited by kjn; 08-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Soon I will be Invincible by Austin Grossman is a really fun take on the genre. It's about an A-list villain's futile attempts to conquer the world even though he knows he'll always lose. It has lines like "Heroes weren't really heroes. They were just conformists in spandex. It's a much easier life to go along with this corrupt system instead of standing against it. The mediocre hordes will always cheer for the ones who enable them to remain useless and coddled. Real heroism is getting up in the morning to conquer the world even though you know the mob would descend on you at any moment to break your head in and cart you away to imprisonment. But that's the way of things isn't it? You get up, you break out, you go conquer the world."

It's Superman! by Tom De Haven is easily the best character study of Clark Kent that's ever been written. It's an amazing novel. It's set in 1939 when Superman made his debut and is basically the great American adventure novel as seen through the eyes of Clark.
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 08-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Incredible Member

Greg Rucka's done a few novels set in established comicbook worlds.

Two that come to mind from my collection would be Grendel Past Prime & Elektra and Wolverine: The Redeemer

Incredible Member

double post