Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    A Good person is a utopic being. There are no good guys. To think that someone is good is just naive.
    I would say that "good" is not the same as "perfect." How many times have we heard the saying, "Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good"? That saying wouldn't exist, I think, if "good" really was equivalent to "perfect." My personal definition of "good," such as it is, is that you try to leave the world an even slightly better place than it was when you came into it, and you do your best to not hurt other people in the process. Good people make mistakes, fail at things, even seriously screw up sometimes, but that makes them imperfect, as we all are, not necessarily bad. "Bad" I would reserve for those who hurt others without caring, having or showing remorse, or attempting to atone for it or learn from it so that they can be or become better people.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would say that "good" is not the same as "perfect." How many times have we heard the saying, "Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good"? That saying wouldn't exist, I think, if "good" really was equivalent to "perfect." My personal definition of "good," such as it is, is that you try to leave the world an even slightly better place than it was when you came into it, and you do your best to not hurt other people in the process. Good people make mistakes, fail at things, even seriously screw up sometimes, but that makes them imperfect, as we all are, not necessarily bad. "Bad" I would reserve for those who hurt others without caring, having or showing remorse, or attempting to atone for it or learn from it so that they can be or become better people.
    Your personal understanding of good is flawed and wrong. Good = Perfect. A good person never makes mistakes, cause mistakes are evil. They hurt self and others so they are evil. If you make mistakes, you are evil and people make mistakes = evil = bad 'cause no one can know all the possiblities of goods and bads an action can bring, no one is that smart, if we could deduce our every action's possiblities like how it effects other living beings and world then we could always do good, and could be good. A good person never does evil, and to never do evil, you need to be perfect. That's why good is utopic. If you think you are good, you fool yourself.
    Last edited by Gurz; 07-28-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Invincible Member

Hmm...not so sure that "good" has ever equalled "perfect."

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post

I was looking at the state of my very small comic book collection (started 2 months ago) and I'm starting to wonder if I am as good of a person as I would like to think I am:

-Thanos #13-18 (Definitely a bad guy)
    -Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 (Worked with bad guys Mephisto/Galactus/Thanos, current status unknown?)
    -Venom #1-4 (Used to be considered a bad guy, but I think he is good now?)
    -Immortal Hulk #1-3 (I am pretty certain he is going to be a bad guy)
    -Ant-Man #1-5, Astonishing Ant-Man #1-13, Ant-Man and the Wasp #1-3 (Definitely a good guy)

Discuss below!
    Swap out Ant-man for X-23 and you pretty much have my pull list. Oh and Thor. But that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, at the very best, it's semantics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Your personal understanding of good is flawed and wrong. Good = Perfect. A good person never makes mistakes, cause mistakes are evil. They hurt self and others so they are evil. If you make mistakes, you are evil and people make mistakes = evil = bad 'cause no one can know all the possiblities of goods and bads an action can bring, no one is that smart, if we could deduce our every action's possiblities like how it effects other living beings and world then we could always do good, and could be good. A good person never does evil, and to never do evil, you need to be perfect. That's why good is utopic. If you think you are good, you fool yourself.
    I'm going to assume English isn't your fist language. Because this isn't even close to correct.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    "I believe in justice, but I will defend my mother before justice." Albert Camus

According to Camus and Bast I'll go with Doom.
    Ah, a very apt quote

Abe, with all the Doom stories I've read over the years, I should have staged a coup by now.

OP asks, Am I a bad person?

A persons Comicbook list does point to their personality, I feel. I don’t know if it answers the question, though. If you continue to read Marvel Comics, which has a preponderance of negative messages about characters, it may point to something like a similarity or convergence with the subject. It’s hard to put into words, but say like the daily news. If you continually are hammered by atrocities, hate acts, misery, and injustices, are you feeding off those subjects? I’ve tended to steer clear of daily news just for that reason. But Marvel comics, if you analyse their subject matter, are very negative like the daily news, like War. So if you indulge in watching Marvel Movies, it shows a preponderance towards the continual massive violence shown there, and that’s hard to avoid as being something that intoxicates a person. Action movies of vengeance or extreme violence, like Dirty Harry, Charles Branson, Die Hard, Exterminator, are all sating some inner glee at getting back at injustices in our lives.

I’m not sure that means we are bad to want to see those types of movies, but it is sobering to realise maybe we go see them for a reason. May not make us bullies, but it does satisfy a frustration that we can’t do that in real life, but we’d like to, maybe?

And on the question of are we bad? He who has no guilt can cast the first stone, is a good indicator.

Double post

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Especially for beings who are perfectly evil.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Must be the day for duplicate posts. Apologies.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Mighty Member

What somebody reads (fiction or otherwise) is less important than why they are reading it.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    OP asks, Am I a bad person?

A persons Comicbook list does point to their personality, I feel. I don’t know if it answers the question, though. If you continue to read Marvel Comics, which has a preponderance of negative messages about characters, it may point to something like a similarity or convergence with the subject. It’s hard to put into words, but say like the daily news. If you continually are hammered by atrocities, hate acts, misery, and injustices, are you feeding off those subjects? I’ve tended to steer clear of daily news just for that reason. But Marvel comics, if you analyse their subject matter, are very negative like the daily news, like War. So if you indulge in watching Marvel Movies, it shows a preponderance towards the continual massive violence shown there, and that’s hard to avoid as being something that intoxicates a person. Action movies of vengeance or extreme violence, like Dirty Harry, Charles Branson, Die Hard, Exterminator, are all sating some inner glee at getting back at injustices in our lives.

I’m not sure that means we are bad to want to see those types of movies, but it is sobering to realise maybe we go see them for a reason. May not make us bullies, but it does satisfy a frustration that we can’t do that in real life, but we’d like to, maybe?

And on the question of are we bad? He who has no guilt can cast the first stone, is a good indicator.
    Hello,

You bring up some good points. I would be inclined to say that that both comic books and the movies being made from them, could be outlets for people to get away from all the tragedy in the news. Where you mention Marvel producing more violent comic books and films, I don't see a difference between the broad good vs. evil approach that both Marvel and DC use in their stories. When it comes to violence in the movies I feel that MCU and DC are definitely more benign than the others you mentioned Dirty Harry, Die Hard etc. and many other non-comic book films being produced today i.e. The Purge series...

I don't think its bad to watch Marvel and DC movies or read the comics when they are taken for what they are. Good fun and a distraction from the mundane. Although now you have me thinking, what does it mean if you went with your significant other to see Mama Mia I and II?... lol

Also, excellent quote at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ah, a very apt quote

Abe, with all the Doom stories I've read over the years, I should have staged a coup by now.
    It's a nice quote for Victor indeed. I wonder why I didn't think about it earlier tbh...

More important : the coup!

It depends on the results of the midterms or of 2020 I guess, but I think that the option is on the table. All those readings could be worthy sooner than in 2099!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

My favorite heroes/characters are:

Black Panther
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    Captain America
    Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    Daredevil
    Manhunter (Kate Specncer)
    Booster Gold

I don't really know what that says about me.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum