Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    There a 5 other X-Gals in this issue. You think it only deals with Betsy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I know as much you've been wanting it to be about Rogue, its pretty been confirmed that the "character that changes" forever is Psylocke. Anyone that still refuses to believe this is in major denial.
    Yeah Rogue is just here to dupe more people into buying this book.

Double post. Seriously, I have to wait 30 seconds to post when I haven’t posted in a day.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 08-12-2018 at 04:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    What you just described is tokenism. Simply because a there is a character of a race doesn't mean that they need to have ties to the native country. For example, look at characters like Jubilee and Silk, both characters are Asian-American, but their characters aren't tied to their Asian roots nor are there prominent stories pertaining to that.

Also, while it is a rarity, it is possible for someone who is a twin to be of a different racial appearance than their twin due to being fraternal twins. Should 1 parent be of one race and the other be of another, either twin can take on the physical traits of either race. I've seen twins before between a black and white parent where one daughter had dark skin while the other had fair skin and red hair.
    Elizabeth Braddock and Brian Braddock were supposed to have the same parents (mother and father) so their appearance should not vary that greatly.

Tokenism is just having one minority around for "diversity" purposes but not really doing anything with it or with them having nothing to do with other characters of that group. Psylocke has no emotional connections to Asians whatsoever. No real reason to keep her that way. And yeah in today's world deciding a white woman has to become Asian to be a martial artist is super offensive.

Not to mention years ago the editor in chief of Marvel getting busted for masquerading as a Japanese writer, and at that point they were even saying it was a sign of diversity (2003-2006) that an Asian guy was writing certain Marvel books.

It's worth mentioning that Psylockes martial arts skills were learnt overnight from the Asian body in that story. What will she inherit from sapphire Styx? Sociopathic tendencies

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I know as much you've been wanting it to be about Rogue, its pretty been confirmed that the "character that changes" forever is Psylocke. Anyone that still refuses to believe this is in major denial.
    I'm not saying, Betsy may or may not have her physical change. What I am saying is there may be a revelation that may change Rogue. So, in a sense, maybe I'm in "Major denial".

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm happy I wasn't met with an outright NO :-)

The whole deal with Psylocke is her APPROPRIATION of an Asian body. It's an exchange that is seemingly free of all consequences, and THAT's the real sin here. Kwannon is barely a character, she's an afterthought. If Betsy Braddock showed any kind of discomfort or sorrow or curiosity about her body and the life it once held, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, we're talking about branded apparel and video game appearances, because THAT is all Psylocke, whether British, Asian, armored, or thonged, is really worth.

Worth is the conversation we should be having, because it'll show whether we're fans of her story, or merely fans of her appearance.

So we're here, with Betsy in Kwannon's body, and Kwannon dead --along with Betsy's body. And it's icky because of cultural appropriation... but also pubescent fetishization and just bad writing. And now more writers are seemingly "fixing" the situation by putting the British lady in a Caucasian body. I'm leaning toward this being just more bad writing... because I don't see anyone, fans or creators, wondering what happens to Kwannon's body. Kwannon, who's only worth was her body, is being lead to become a mere footnote in the X-Men's history.

I say, bring back Kwannon's mind. Give her the chance to BE a character of worth. Show her be her own woman, and how she and Betsy might agree to become something stronger together.
    This is everything I’ve always felt about the fetishized version of Psylocke we’ve been privy to since the body swap.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    I do too, but here’s my question, I just watched a show called Altered Carbon on Netflix, were there’s body swaps with an Asian man in an Caucasian body and I heard not one gripe. I don’t see how Psylocke situation is any different and needs to be corrected...
    Alter Carbon is built to discuss that idea tho and one of biggest premise of the show "what is identity". There is no gripes because they sit down and they show/discuss these idea over and over in the show but look at Cloud Atlas complaints when they put their actors in asian makeup in story about reincarnation. Bodies are slabs of meat on Alter Carbon . Psylocke is different case got Asian body and they never bother to flesh out what she is properly. The fact that people are asking that if Psylocke keeps her ninjutsu instead of asking if story will cover physical difference in one body doing martial arts for years and adjusting to body that has never done Martial arts shows story is poorly done.

PS to those people being Asian isn't what makes Psylocke martial artist.Sigh.. Psylocke switching bodies with Lebron wouldn't make her good at basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly, it feels more like those who complain about it are projecting, acting as though there is a mass of people offended and a problem exists when in reality, no such thing exists beyond the minority of those who complain about it. Again, the fact that it's lasted almost 30 years and is Betsy at her most iconic speaks volumes. Had this been something viewed as racist, there's no way that Marvel would have allowed it to persist. Hell just look at the difference in the appearance of the Mandarin between his early appearances and current day. The stereotypical elements of the design have vanished with time. If it were such a problem, Psylocke's body would have never lasted this long or become so widespread.
    Would you have said a year ago that Hollywood had a sexual harassment problem or that America has problem with some people calling the police on black people for basically nothing? Just because something went on for long period of time doesn't mean it wasn't a problem. The Majority is pretty insensitive to the issue of minorities let's not try to use hey nobody was complaining about it and it went on for so long as legit excuse.Psylocke has been issue for years and it is way less obvious than Fu Manchu Stereotype that was the Mandarin. It is easy to understand how it went on so long Psylocke is an amazing character except for one detail. It only comes up when you start to praise the character for being so good. Psylocke is arguably to most visible Asian character in comics one of couple A -list Asian characters, She is a great leader and good example what happens when you develop an Asian character, It is great Asian women can dress up like their favorite Asian character except that Psylocke is British white woman. People are not projecting this is an issue anyways quote from Chris Claremont interview

"CN: Do you ever sort of look back and think … “If only I’d just introduced an Asian mutant, instead of changing—instead of putting a white character in an Asian body. Like bringing back Yukio, or … creating a new character that could have served the same visuals, but—

CC: I mean, oh yeah. Second thoughts are par for the course. But again, it’s … it’s the rule of unanticipated consequences. You know. Doing something in 1988 because “it’s a giggle,” one never thinks thirty years down the line and goes, “Aeeaahhh~.” You know?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-14-2018 at 04:22 AM.

While I'm willing to wait to see how the story turns out, I'm not a fan of turning Psylock white again.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm happy I wasn't met with an outright NO :-)

The whole deal with Psylocke is her APPROPRIATION of an Asian body. It's an exchange that is seemingly free of all consequences, and THAT's the real sin here. Kwannon is barely a character, she's an afterthought. If Betsy Braddock showed any kind of discomfort or sorrow or curiosity about her body and the life it once held, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, we're talking about branded apparel and video game appearances, because THAT is all Psylocke, whether British, Asian, armored, or thonged, is really worth.

Worth is the conversation we should be having, because it'll show whether we're fans of her story, or merely fans of her appearance.

So we're here, with Betsy in Kwannon's body, and Kwannon dead --along with Betsy's body. And it's icky because of cultural appropriation... but also pubescent fetishization and just bad writing. And now more writers are seemingly "fixing" the situation by putting the British lady in a Caucasian body. I'm leaning toward this being just more bad writing... because I don't see anyone, fans or creators, wondering what happens to Kwannon's body. Kwannon, who's only worth was her body, is being lead to become a mere footnote in the X-Men's history.

I say, bring back Kwannon's mind. Give her the chance to BE a character of worth. Show her be her own woman, and how she and Betsy might agree to become something stronger together.
    Kwannon was never meant to be more than a footnote to Psylocke's history and to the effects of the Legacy Virus.And it's not like Betsy held Kwannon in contempt,because she wasn't looking for selfish revenge against Matsu'o when it hit the fan.

Bringing back Kwannon in her "body of birth" is in itself extremely messy,because that body has actually been part of Psylocke's legacy *only*.You can complain about how "icky" this all is,I guess.

As I said before,the issue of "culture appropriation" is entirely enigmatic to me.I've always seen Psylocke as a British spirit forced to inhabit an Asian body and I accepted this as comic book science.Nothing offensive about it at all.

BANNED

A bigger question for me is how can her body come back from someone like Sapphire? She collects souls...not physical bodies...you would need someone who could create a body.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    A bigger question for me is how can her body come back from someone like Sapphire? She collects souls...not physical bodies...you would need someone who could create a body.
    This could be where her brother Jamie, who has created a body for her before, steps in.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    This could be where her brother Jamie, who has created a body for her before, steps in.
    We still don't know who's behind Viper's team... Could be Jamie pulling some ****...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

double post, sorry...
    Last edited by seccruz; 08-14-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: double post
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    We still don't know who's behind Viper's team... Could be Jamie pulling some ****...
    Yep, it’s probably no coincidence that this is happening soon after he’s come back to life.