Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    What's the purpose in doing so?
    Because Psylocke is literally yellow faced character. And every time you want give Marvel/Xmen credit having for an Asian woman front and center in the Xmen you have go nope she is British white woman in Asian woman body.

It is interesting Scifi I love Alter Carbon for example but how Psylocke is used it would be better if she was in her original body or recton to half Asian. The most prominent Asian character in superhero comics is actually a white woman if you don't see what issue I don't know what to say about it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-28-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrt1 View Post
    Thank GOD!!!! I always found it insulting that a white woman was basically cosplaying as a Japanese woman I have no idea what Claremont was thinking for even makig that dumb decision like imagine if Kwannon was black that crap would’ve NEVERRRRRR slide
    At the time the plots were being influenced by Jim Lee so I assume he pushed for it being asian himself
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The most prominent Asian character in superhero comics is actually a white woman if you don't see what issue I don't know what to say about it.
    That's not really true. I like Psylocke, but I don't think there's any denying that another X-Man is actually the most prominent Asian character in superhero comics.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Again on covers. Another deal is sometimes covers get better art than the interior. lol See Weapon X #20 for a clear example.
    WEAPX2017020-COV.jpg
    RCO006.jpg

Blink in Exiles is another. She looks GREAT on the covers, and less so in the interiors.

So no telling how Psylocke will look if this happens. But the pic on the cover is GREAT! I LOVE the bright purple hair, and her costume is fabulous too.

I would have no complaints with this.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-28-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Even if those traits aren't essential to the character? In fact, more stories could play into what the Braddock family might have experienced as far as anti-Asian sentiment and/or xenophobia. How Brian was able to exist as a white-passing individual while her sister had to confront the discrimination that came with her race. Also, that retcon wouldn't get rid of Kwannon.

Marvel's here to tell stories and some of the best stories rn are being written because of huge, character-altering retcons. Just look at what Donny Cates is doing with Venom.
    Comics are a visual medium. Their race is an essential trait even if it isn't explicitly talked about. Being black isn't explicitly talked about all the time in comics when it comes to Blade, still, making him white would be moronic because he wasn't designed that way. And a passing/discrimination angle rewrites the characters' history and transforms them into something completely different from their original inception.

And both of the Venom retcons are dumb.

Comics are a visual medium. Their race is an essential trait even if it isn't explicitly talked about. Being black isn't explicitly talked about all the time in comics when it comes to Blade, still, making him white would be moronic because he wasn't designed that way. And a passing/discrimination angle rewrites the characters' history and transforms them into something completely different from their original inception.

Eh, retcons are a 50/50 chance, the last one of Venom sounds interesting actually, he needs something beyond being Spider-Man number 3 baddies if they want to keep this idea of him being a solo characther.

c'mon y'all. it's happening.

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/10...288020993?s=19

No one said that it had to be talked about for it to make an impact. But there are often storylines surrounding race when they happen to be nonwhite. There's nothing to lose from making Betsy half-Asian.

And whether or not you like Venom or not, it's no argument that it is being mostly received well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Eh, retcons are a 50/50 chance, the last one of Venom sounds interesting actually, he needs something beyond being Spider-Man number 3 baddies if they want to keep this idea of him being a solo characther.
    I would say the longer a character has been around, the more likely a retcon is not going to be good. Though retcons getting characters back to the original vision of their creators or undo bad retcons/decisions can prove to be a good thing. The venom retcons, well, I think Venom is better off with mystery surrounding the origin of the symbiotes. And saying tons went to Earth hundreds of years ago makes the character less special. Another reason why I think the three Joker thing will likely be a bad idea.

BANNED

You'd think the "covers lie!!!" people would've stayed quiet for a while after the Gold #30/31 drubbing, but here they are again.

Astonishing Member

This is greate, I give it a year and a half befor its retconned

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    No one said that it had to be talked about for it to make an impact. But there are often storylines surrounding race when they happen to be nonwhite. There's nothing to lose from making Betsy half-Asian.

And whether or not you like Venom or not, it's no argument that it is being mostly received well.
    I think the current Venom retcon is being received more positively because it also undoes the last retcon. People are like "eh, I'll take it." But like I said, comics are a visual medium and if you change a race of a character, you are changing a very specific aspect and making them look very different. And I don't understand what your standard is for when it's okay to change a character's race and when it's not.

I would say the longer a character has been around, the more likely a retcon is not going to be good. Though retcons getting characters back to the original vision of their creators or undo bad retcons/decisions can prove to be a good thing. The venom retcons, well, I think Venom is better off with mystery surrounding the origin of the symbiotes. And saying tons went to Earth hundreds of years ago makes the character less special. Another reason why I think the three Joker thing will likely be a bad idea.
    Still sounds better than the Klyntars frankly, Cates is a good writer so i give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides a good deal of the stuff that we like about classic characters came from retcons, (Batman and Alfred bond, half of Wolverine past and powers, etc), at the end of the day it really depends of how is implented, what we won and compare it with what we lost to say if is worthy or not, is something that needs a case by case basis to analyze, thought i don't particulary care if they changed the Braddock family because i know almost nothing about then.

Excited to see where this goes. I do hope somehow Kwannon gets to return to life in her own body and get to live her own life. I agree that Asian Psylocke is the more recognizable incarnation of the character but it is technically a storyline which went on too long and has unfortunate implications. Her personality and powers will be the same, so it's still Psylocke.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    It said "an X-Men's life will change forever" not "Psylocke's life will change forever".
    There are 6 X-Gals there.
    IMO, there is only a one in six chance the statement deals with Psylocke. (I think it deals with one of the other 5.)
    The cover is literally called Spoiler cover. I don't see any other gals on the cover......

BANNED

Despite my own, personal miXed feelings, this was bound to happen sooner or later, and it's probably for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    ... I feel like that they'll go all in on this. She'll inevitably go back to being Asian if the MCU ever use Psylocke, but for at least the next few years, I think it'll stick.
    Au contraire, mon frere, I think it's just the opposite, and that's eXactly why they ARE doin' it. The more attention she gets, means only the bigger controversy she'll invite (as is), with her touchy, dicey comics history. They don't want anymore of that, after learning their lesson the hard way, via Iron Fist & the brouhaha it created with cultural appropriation (for instance). They're probably still licking their wounds, over that one. It's a smart move, and in the end... the right one, honestly. All publicity, is not good publicity, anymore.