Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It's all ridiculous. Non-Asians not being allowed to learn martial arts is just as ridiculous as non-whites not being allowed partake in an activity created by white people. Anybody should be able to do something cool regardless of their identity and the possibility that it doesn't match the originator.
    Sigh. Okay.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    But it's not there. 90% of the people who see the movies don't read comic books. And, beyond that, you think making the character white would solve the problem? Cultural appropriation is stripping a culture of all the things which make it unique without allowing that culture the benefit of representing it or benefitting from it, themselves.

You honestly think the better option is taking a character, which was propelled to the height of her popularity using Asian imagery, and then when it matters, renege on all that by making her white in the movies? That's like working on a group project where you do 90% of the work, and when they hand out grants for it, the guy who did 10% gets it instead of you.
    You're missing the point entirely, it's not about the what, but the how. And it doesn't matter if potential viewers know about her comics history initially, as I said, the media will make sure they know about it eventually. And it will snowball (down a hill) from there. It was a mistake, in hindsight, plain & simple. And it needs to be corrected, again, 'cause it's the right thing to do.

Elizabeth Braddock/Psylocke was originally a white, English woman, who basically came to possess the body & life of an Asian woman named Kwannon. Even if it was ONLY in the comics, I just can't imagine TPTB wanting to go there, anywhere near that. So yes, I think they'd rather pretend, like it never happened. I also think you're overestimating just how iconic, they think she is. She wasn't used in any of the animated series, to any great degree, why? Her biggest claim to fame, outside of the comics, was some 90's video games. Then there's Olivia Munn's what turned out to be bit part in Apocalypse, more or less, AND... who's casting had issues of its own, IIRC, 'cause she wasn't Asian enough.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    wait Asian psylocke is gone and the original is back?
    I think I'm one of the few Betsy fans who like the BETSY REAL, with its original powers and its original body, to me if I would like Psylocke to return to its true self.

But the truth I see it unlikely, although if it happens it would make me very happy XD.

I also have a feeling this change and the merger are completely connected. Maybe they already have plans for British Psylocke in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I also have a feeling this change and the merger are completely connected. Maybe they already have plans for British Psylocke in the MCU.
    Captain. Britain.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Charles was a baller in his youth. He gave up sports, though, when his telepathy gave him unparalleled advantages.

I don't think retconning the Braddocks as being a mixed family is the way to fix this. Just put Betsy back in her Anglo body, and let Kwannon be the 'ninja'. Now that Emma's back to being a bad guy, the X-Men can have a real British aristocrat-telepath in residence again. In the MCU films, I'd go for Kwannon straight out of the gate, and just let her have tk or the shadow melting powers along with her martial arts. China is a big market and Jubilee or Xorn don't really cut it. Kwannon is a highly revered deity/Bodhisattva. And in the original Claremont/Lee story she was Chinese, not Japanese.
    Creating two characters in this case just slides the Asian one into the non important role because she is one that has no history with X-men. Changing the family throwing away the story body swap story leaves history and prominence of the character in tact. They have a chance to make the best of both worlds.I don't know why comic fans are afraid using the better version of character and one small simple change fixes the problematic element but psylocke story is so crazy I doubt it can salvage without some universal warping shenanigans but the next time reality warper does some stuff they should take the chance to retcon it out.

For the MCU I agree no doubt they are not going to touch Pyslocke body swap story and the character will be Asian from beginning. In fact I think Oliva Munn was fine as Pyslocke I would mind her being carried over to MCU I hope she gets casted in the X-force movie

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    You're missing the point entirely, it's not about the what, but the how. And it doesn't matter if potential viewers know about her comics history initially, as I said, the media will make sure they know about it eventually. And it will snowball (down a hill) from there. It was a mistake, in hindsight, plain & simple. And it needs to be corrected, again, 'cause it's the right thing to do.

Elizabeth Braddock/Psylocke was originally a white, English woman, who basically came to possess the body & life of an Asian woman named Kwannon. Even if it was ONLY in the comics, I just can't imagine TPTB wanting to go there, anywhere near that. So yes, I think they'd rather pretend, like it never happened. I also think you're overestimating just how iconic, they think she is. She wasn't used in any of the animated series, to any great degree, why? Her biggest claim to fame, outside of the comics, was some 90's video games. Then there's Olivia Munn's what turned out to be bit part in Apocalypse, more or less, AND... who's casting had issues of its own, IIRC, 'cause she wasn't Asian enough.
    You're theorizing they need to pick a white Psylocke to prevent backlash because it's the less problematic version of the character. My point is it's not. The character is a problem, no matter which version you're dealing with. Pandora's box was already opened. Introducing the character as "always Asian" in the films angers nobody of import. Making it right is making her Asian all along. Then the Asian imagery so closely tied to who she is becomes authentic instead of a costume worn by a white woman. We're not seeing eye to eye because you're saying the powers that be should pretend Psylocke was never Asian. IMO, that's a slap in the face. But, hey, we'll see how it goes. I'm not writing the scripts.

You can't just retcon the Braddocks into being Asian the whole time, that's even worse. Let Kwannon stand up and be her own character after all this time. It's not that hard. They push new characters all the time(see X23, Fantomex, Pixie, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, etc). It'd be even easier to push Kwannon since her aesthetic has been en vogue for almost 30 years. Heck, the most casual of fans won't even notice.

And Munn was crap. Asian or Anglo, she's a horrible actress. Too bad the MCU cast Gemma Chan as a bit role in Captain Marvel. What a waste. She would have been the perfect Psylocke, gorgeous Asian woman with a natural posh British accent!

You can't just retcon the Braddocks into being Asian the whole time, that's even worse. Let Kwannon stand up and be her own character after all this time. It's not that hard. They push new characters all the time(see X23, Fantomex, Pixie, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, etc). It'd be even easier to push Kwannon since her aesthetic has been en vogue for almost 30 years. Heck, the most casual of fans won't even notice.
    Actually, I can see this happening, too. We're all assuming Psylocke's real name will be Betsy. I can see them having Psylocke in the films and referring to her as Kwannon. Problem solved.

Actually, I can see this happening, too. We're all assuming Psylocke's real name will be Betsy. I can see them having Psylocke in the films and referring to her as Kwannon. Problem solved.
    That's what I would do. And make her Chinese, like she was in the original story. China's happy and casual fans get their Asian badass.

Anglo-British Betsy Braddock can be in Captain Britain's movie.

And Munn was crap. Asian or Anglo, she's a horrible actress. Too bad the MCU cast Gemma Chan as a bit role in Captain Marvel. What a waste. She would have been the perfect Psylocke, gorgeous Asian woman with a natural posh British accent!
    I like Munn, but I would’ve loved Gemma. It truly is a shame. Is her role in Captain Marvel definitely going to be a bit part?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    I like Munn, but I would’ve loved Gemma. It truly is a shame. Is her role in Captain Marvel definitely going to be a bit part?
    I mean, she's a random Kree agent in a movie with Samuel L Jackson and Jude Law, not to mention having to introduce Carol and Monica. I can't imagine Gemma's role will be that substantial. Which is a shame. She would be PERFECT as Psylocke, all contradictions intact!

BANNED

... I'm not writing the scripts.
    You're also not practicing...

... so to speak, IMO.

In addition, making a character named Elizabeth "Betsy" Braddock, who calls herself Psylocke... Asian, and eXpecting not to raise any eyebrows with that alone? Good luck with that. As has been suggested, if you're so dead set on having a true Asian, psionically powered ninja, go with Kwannon. No one of import, will care. ;p

I mean, she's a random Kree agent in a movie with Samuel L Jackson and Jude Law, not to mention having to introduce Carol and Monica. I can't imagine Gemma's role will be that substantial. Which is a shame. She would be PERFECT as Psylocke, all contradictions intact!
    I’m so annoyed at everything right now.