Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    I’m so annoyed at everything right now.
    I mean, I don't know for certain. Maybe in some twist of fate she get's a Killmonger-esque role, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I don't think the MCU would have a problem with using Betsy as always having been Asian in a film, in spite of her unfortunate history in the comics.

They've done it before with Heimdall, Valkyrie and Hogun. So there is precedent.

BANNED

Unless... you could make her "always Asian", AND still be called E. Betsy Braddock, if she were... adopted, or the product of an affair/some sort of liaison (to keep her blood), even... I suppose... IDK. Like I said, it's a tricky situation, and one I don't envy.

But that way - maybe - you could keep who & what she's always predominantly been, during her rise in prominence, intact.

Let's just wait & see how this storyline turns out, we could very likely, be getting ahead of ourselves.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 07-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    You can't just retcon the Braddocks into being Asian the whole time, that's even worse. Let Kwannon stand up and be her own character after all this time. It's not that hard. They push new characters all the time(see X23, Fantomex, Pixie, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, etc). It'd be even easier to push Kwannon since her aesthetic has been en vogue for almost 30 years. Heck, the most casual of fans won't even notice.
    If you can stick White woman in Asian woman body you can retcon her mom to Asian. It is not worse other than it would take another convoluted story to do so but if one those world shaking stories show up I think they should take the chance to change to it. Kwannon will get kick to curb so fast it would make your head spin.New character process is a hit or miss even with the God push Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl are getting. Nah this the rare (but obvious) old character taking what should have new character concept and it happen over so long that new character missed on definitive story arcs it is unfair to that character to try use her now. The best thing is clean up and full merge the two concepts in short run you will have salty fans but in the long run it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    And Munn was crap. Asian or Anglo, she's a horrible actress. Too bad the MCU cast Gemma Chan as a bit role in Captain Marvel. What a waste. She would have been the perfect Psylocke, gorgeous Asian woman with a natural posh British accent!
    Munn is solid enough actor and she prove that in Newsroom.Saying that she is horrible actress is simple untrue

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm frankly a bit surprised at some of the theories presented here. Marvel is doing a back-to-basics with Betsy and they're distancing themselves from a universally derided and needlessly convulted storyline - Kwannon/Revenche is not coming into play here and will likely never be heard from again in any media.

Ultimate Member

Betsy could easily show up in the movies and just be the kid of a white dad and her mother could have moved to England from Japan or something, met her father and go from there...it's not universally derided or really that convoluted, that part came later with other writers imho, back to basics would have Warren with feathered wings and not blue skin, or a straight Iceman or something like that, besides we don't know if the change is even permanent, by the end of the mini she could be back in the Asian body...again we don't know if she's the one that gets the big change, and putting it on a cover could be the red herring and to easy for something that big to be revealed that readily...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I don't think the MCU would have a problem with using Betsy as always having been Asian in a film, in spite of her unfortunate history in the comics.

They've done it before with Heimdall, Valkyrie and Hogun. So there is precedent.
    Hogun was supposed to be that way from the start, wasn't he? I seem to recall that he was first created as being part of some tribe that was supposed to be similar to the Mongols or the Huns.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Revanche will return. That is my take on that cover.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

double post sry
    Last edited by Wiccan; 07-29-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Betsy could easily show up in the movies and just be the kid of a white dad and her mother could have moved to England from Japan or something, met her father and go from there...it's not universally derided or really that convoluted, that part came later with other writers imho, back to basics would have Warren with feathered wings and not blue skin, or a straight Iceman or something like that, besides we don't know if the change is even permanent, by the end of the mini she could be back in the Asian body...again we don't know if she's the one that gets the big change, and putting it on a cover could be the red herring and to easy for something that big to be revealed that readily...
    The mini is 4 issues. We're on the 3rd and this hasn't happened already. From what I've read there has been 0 buildup for it. It can't happen immediately on the first pages out of nowhere. She would have to go back to the british body AND go back to the old one in the duration of like, 15 pages. Which would be a pointless plot, and would also leave no time for a big change to another character as you're saying could happen.

Plus, they designed a new costume for her. Maaybe it's Kwannon coming back, or maybe Psylocke is just gonna be on that other girl's body and change her hair or who knows, but the idea that she's gonna go back to to her original body and then back to the other one by the end of the issue makes zero sense.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 07-29-2018 at 03:47 AM.

I am suprised no one has said that Kwannon needed to apologize for her white privilege while in british Betsy's dying body....the arguments in this thread feel very american.

Personally I don't care. Psylocke in the asian body is the one I grew up with so I have that preference but I always loved the Psylocke/Kwannon story as I read it when I started first reading comics. If they bring Revanche back I think it's a plus as I always liked the character. If Psylocke goes back to her original body or jump to another one I am curious were that goes.

I just want it done because there is a story to tell instead of political correctness.

If they were bringing Revanche back though I would have preferred the blindfold and maybe even the glowing veins. I think it would have made her visually different to all the other beautiful x-woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    I’m so annoyed at everything right now.
    Chan isn't playing a random Kree agent, she's playing Dr. Minerva.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I am suprised no one has said that Kwannon needed to apologize for her white privilege while in british Betsy's dying body....the arguments in this thread feel very american.
    Thank you SO much for highlighting that conspicuous backpedaling whenever the subject of Psylocke's race is raised.Do all American posters think like this or have they forgotten how important it is to at least acknowledge that Psylocke has been extremely successful in that she's one of the few non-American characters portrayed in a believable way?Colossus,Magik and Nightcrawler are bland caricatures as examples of European mutants next to Psylocke who has been consistently written as a woman from England since her inception.And heck,being European myself,that makes them more offensive in my eyes than Psylocke's possessing a Japanese body,because she hardly let her new life define her in a less superficial way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Thank you SO much for highlighting that conspicuous backpedaling whenever the subject of Psylocke's race is raised.Do all American posters think like this or have they forgotten how important it is to at least acknowledge that Psylocke has been extremely successful in that she's one of the few non-American characters portrayed in a believable way?Colossus,Magik and Nightcrawler are bland caricatures as examples of European mutants next to Psylocke who has been consistently written as a woman from England since her inception.And heck,being European myself,that makes them more offensive in my eyes than Psylocke's possessing a Japanese body,because she hardly let her new life define her in a less superficial way.
    lmao there is literally nothing that suggest Magik is a caricature.

Also I guess women from England love to hang their walls with Japanese symbols, attempt ritualistic seppuku and say phrases like "I'll turn you into sashimi".

So pleased with this. The body swap was one of the dumbest things of all X-Men concepts.