Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Being that Asian is referring to Race and British is referring nationality what you are saying is impossible because Asian Pyslocke is British.
    You know what I meant.

And my point still stands that Asian Psylocke is way more popular.

Marvel should keep things the way they are.

Here is another variant for #4

68d09a3647d4bb0a197f02f9ea94af68.jpg
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    You know what I meant.

And my point still stands that Asian Psylocke is way more popular.

Marvel should keep things the way they are.

If Marvel would keep things the way they are, then Betsy would have never been in Kwannon's body in the first place.

Just saying.....

Anyways, I am believing there is still a little part of Kwannon left in Psylocke and that part will take action. She will take over Styx' body and Revanche will be reborn.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Here is another variant for #4

68d09a3647d4bb0a197f02f9ea94af68.jpg
    That cover is glorious

#RoLo4ever

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    If Marvel would keep things the way they are, then Betsy would have never been in Kwannon's body in the first place.

Just saying.....

Anyways, I am believing there is still a little part of Kwannon left in Psylocke and that part will take action. She will take over Styx' body and Revanche will be reborn.
    That seems rather out of nowhere for Sapphire Styx to suddenly become Revanche...
    Last edited by JDC001; 07-30-2018 at 07:29 AM.

A panel from Mystery in Madripoor #4 :

Looks like Betsy's astral form after she was "killed" by Sapphire Styx.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC001 View Post
    That seems rather out of nowhere for Sapphire Styx to suddenly become Revanche...
    it seems out of nowhere that the British body is back with Betsy in control of it

I would rather Betsy stay as she is, and Revanche be back.

I guess what bothers me most about this is how ambivalent I am about this change. Ambivalent in its true sense, not apathetic as its often used.

I don't have a clear answer to the Psylocke problem, because I'd need to be a writer or editor in order to really set things right. What's truly needed is STORY... and it's one we never seem to get.

Full disclosure: My first issue of X-Men was 258. My first Wolverine wore a loincloth, my first Jubilee was a powerhouse, and my first Psylocke was an Asian psychic ninja. I was young and eager to fill in the blanks, which I did. It was clear the Hand used magic to transform her original body into an Asian one. Weird, but I was young enough to appreciate all of Jim Lee's choices. at the end of the issue, she explains she's confused by, but enjoys her new body. Good enough for me. By the time I started collecting in earnest, I recognized it as a way to achieve diversity in a wacky, comicbooky way. It was the 90s. Again, young.

Then Kubert and Nicieza decided to turn everything around with what seemed totally unnecessary... and has since been the cause of a LOT of problems for the Psylocke character. Kwannon was introduced as the previous mind inhabiting the body Psylocke now used. It was weird. And maybe I was aging, but I kinda hated this reveal. It traumatically complicated something that hadn't begun to be explored, and gave us a character that couldn't be described accurately as a villain, ally, teammate or other. Kwannon just appeared, there was a confrontation, and then she sorta hung around... until she didn't. Editorial gave her the Legacy Virus and killed her off in order to clean up the forward momentum of the X-Men, but further anchoring Psylocke to the whole unexplored notion of her previous body and what it meant. Was she a thief? Had she condemned a woman to death in trading bodies? How much of her was truly herself? It was messy and kind of gross, and I hated it.

YEARS went by and SEVERAL times Psylocke was confronted with the possiblity of regaining her original body's ethnicity. Deaths, rebirths, reality warps, necromancy and magic... But because the audience knew there was too much merch with Psylocke's Asian appearance, we all knew this was just crap stories to tease us with an ugly history and turning the shortest shrifted character of Kwannon into a threat: "Will Betsy be forced into her previous British body? Stay tuned True Believers!" It was gross, and just kept getting grosser.

So now I'm too old to really care, but not young enough to ignore the cancer that these years have done. The fandom is divided by aesthetic and nostalgia, and I feel alienated for wanting better and wanting more. I want Kwannon to be an actual character. I want her to have a history more than a hand-waived backstory with the Hand. I want Psylocke's Asian body to be addressed as more than fashion and artifice. I want Betsy to deal with the uncomfortable notion of being alive and Kwannon being dead. I want the X-Men to be as conflicted and divided about her status as one would assume. I'd love for Brian to be entirely creeped out by his sister's powers and what it means to her (im)mortality.

I've gone on in other threads about how I feel going "back" to her original Caucasian body would be character regression, as "Betsy" herself is now a mind that can potentially live in a variety of host bodies. I don't know what Mystery in Madripoor suggests, except that it feels like more of the same. "Will Betsy be forced into her previous British body? Stay tuned True Believers!"

Ultimate Member

Though the body that she would be in would not be her old British body but Sapphire Styxx's body, otherwise she would have created a new body out of thin air to inhabit, and again Marvel got flak for having Betsy "steal" Kwannon's body, but now it's okay for her to "steal" Styxx's...and again so far we don't even know if it stays that way or she goes back to her Asian body at the end, perhaps she has some fun in the new body but then feels it wrong to take someone else's body, even Styxx's...and then goes back to her Asian body, and Betsy didn't really steal Kwannon's body, the two bodies were mixed together so that they were virtually identical, even down to the dna level and Logan couldn't tell them apart by smell either, everything that was Kwannon outside of her physical body died years ago , unless she's just been hanging out in Betsy's head for the last 30 years...with Betsy not knowing anything about it...

Quote Originally Posted by JDC001 View Post
    She's obviously breaking down Styx at the end of #3. So she's gonna use her body as a template to recreate her original body (which should be half-Asian).

Ultimate Member

Though since when has Betsy been shown to even have anything close to that power...and if she could have done that then why wouldn't she have done it earlier if she wanted her old body back...as some seem to think...or maybe the change doesn't stick and Styxx starts to fight back and such and Betsy has to go back to her Asian body...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Though since when has Betsy been shown to even have anything close to that power...and if she could have done that then why wouldn't she have done it earlier if she wanted her old body back...as some seem to think...or maybe the change doesn't stick and Styxx starts to fight back and such and Betsy has to go back to her Asian body...
    I remember her gaining a shadow form when the Shadow King destroyed Psylocke's psychic form with new abilities because of the Crimson Dawn.

Well heroes gain and lose powers according to the will of the writers. For example Jeen won a pink form that the adult version never had.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I remember her gaining a shadow form when the Shadow King destroyed Psylocke's psychic form with new abilities because of the Crimson Dawn.

Well heroes gain and lose powers according to the will of the writers. For example Jeen won a pink form that the adult version never had.
    and she also recreated a body for herself after her original was killed off by a poison

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

and she also recreated a body for herself after her original was killed off by a poison