Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Stack up the best Dr. Doom stories and the best Wizard stories and I think I know which ones most people would prefer, how many great Wizard stories are there?

what's a bad Wizard story? I've only read one decent Doom story.

Except what makes his motives compelling in the first place?

his belief in himself. and the Frightful Four's belief in him.

You rag on Doom's back story,

you rag on the backstories of anyone who isn't Doom. remember the Trapster discussion?

but what's Wizard's back story

he doesn't have one. he's completely unexplored with limitless potential. meanwhile, who gives a crap about another retelling of Doom's origin? he was disadvantaged but not really when you factor in that he just knew stuff from jump and had inherited sorceror ability. how many times can I roll my eyes at him having a grudge against Reed because of a math mistake? how is Latveria relevant to anyone?

''decided to throw away a comforable life and become a public super villain who will be hated by the public and will be in and out of jail for the rest of his life, because he was bored''. That is a crappy motive and if they can't give him something better after over 50 years, it makes him a crappy villain.

that's not his backstory. that was his second arc. the real story is about an extremely impressive individual who had to evolve when the world suddenly became flooded with superhumans and super-celebrities. he's fighting for a spotlight. your mistake is in thinking that there's a difference between being loved and being hated to an egomaniac. there is no such thing as bad publicity to the Wizard. we've seen that he has a cult following within the Marvel Universe; people who just interested in him because he's smart, confident, and notorious from his exploits as a supervillain. his life is twice as exciting as it would be if he were to go straight. this isn't someone who has to worry about imprisonment. escape is a mild challenge. to fully appreciate these characters you have to at least attempt to see from their points of view.

His character motivation might as well be ''Mwa, ha, ha I am an evil villain who hates the Fantastic Four because.....Mwa, ha, ha!''

what's Doom's motivation again? why'd he make a small child his pawn, skin the only woman who has ever loved him, and burn Reed's face?

I don't hate Wizard, but I am bored with him

you haven't read enough Wizard to be bored of him. it's why you always have to ask what makes him interesting.

and would be interested in a story where he is the main villain if the writers put so little effort into his motives. He is too evil to sympathetic,

he was a hero not too long ago and helped fight the Psycho-Man. and I'd say that the existence of Bentley demonstrates that there are levels to the man. he created life. and that life is a member of the extended FF family.

but not evil enough to be scary or creepy or truly menacing.

you might want to reread that Superior Carnage mini.

Stack up the best Dr. Doom stories and the best Wizard stories and I think I know which ones most people would prefer, how many great Wizard stories are there?

Except what makes his motives compelling in the first place? You rag on Doom's back story, but what's Wizard's back story ''decided to throw away a comforable life and become a public super villain who will be hated by the public and will be in and out of jail for the rest of his life, because he was bored''. That is a crappy motive and if they can't give him something better after over 50 years, it makes him a crappy villain.

His character motivation might as well be ''Mwa, ha, ha I am an evil villain who hates the Fantastic Four because.....Mwa, ha, ha!'' I don't hate Wizard, but I am bored with him and would be interested in a story where he is the main villain if the writers put so little effort into his motives. He is too evil to sympathetic, but not evil enough to be scary or creepy or truly menacing. There are no real stakes with Wizard generally, all he did was try to kill the FF and fail because the FF have the Frightful Four beat in almost every category, he poses no real threat to the FF or the world at large, so he is this box that doesn't make him menacing. The only time they added stakes with him is when the added the mental break down and again, that went no where. Like why was ranting about God when he was crazy, is he religious, where did that come from?

Do you want these villains to stay in the same boxes they were created in back in 60s, even though the world has changed a lot in the past 50 years and something that was fresh 50 years can seem old and stale now, like how times can Wizard create a Frightful Four to oppose the FF, before he realizes he should form a Frightful Fourteen instead.

Frankly I would make Wizard different from Doom, by ditching his rivalry with Reed, have him be Torch's enemy again and give a better motive for his villainy.

I am going to agree you in one aspect, Doom is over exposed and it be nice to give some of these other villains. However you do really not want to take these boxes they have been in the 60s and have them do something new? Red Ghost has to constantly be a Cold War relic (even though the Cold War ended in 1991) because that is what he was in the 60s? Wizard has have the same thin motives (either boredom or one note jealousy of Reed Richards) who constantly forms Frightful Four groups because that is what he was in the 60s?

Heck I think Mad Thinker was a better realized character in the New Warrior comics then the FF comics, but the writers seem to love dragging him back to his old stale Silver Age characterization.

Can't give some of these villains better motives or put them out of their box and make it stick? Like I said, the mental break down for Wizard was a good start, but had no explanation or follow through and they reset him back to zero. If DC can expand their B-list villains beyond their starting places, why can't Marvel? Not only should these B-list FF villains be given more detailed rivalries with other FF members, their characters should be expanded so their some dynamics to these rivalries beyond ''bad guy does bad things, hero stops him/her''.
    You mentioned that he and others haven't really changed since their introduction back in 60s and that's the biggest problem with the Fantastic Four as a whole. Writers are too enamored and beholden by Lee and Kirby's original run that little has grown or developed since then. The team and it's villains need changes and while that may alienate some older fans it may breathe some new life into the property and bring in new fans.
    The FF should be ever-growing and changing with new dynamics, threats, and places to explore. That would be the real way to uphold Lee and Kirby's legacy as their run had something new almost every issue.

Many of FF's villains are in need of a revamp or retirement. I think there is still potential with Wizard, but he definitely needs some revamping and given motivations that aren't the same as Doom. Which seems to be the curse of all FF villains who are geniuses, they all want have a rivalry with Reed but none will ever be as good as Doom's rivalry with him so they end up being boring. I also would like if Wizard went back to being Johnny's archnemesis, it has the potential to be more interesting.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-31-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Do you want these villains to stay in the same boxes they were created in back in 60s,
    I started the Revamp a Villain thread where people could post their new ideas for villains. I clearly have no issue with characters branching out. but you didn't suggest that Wizard "get out of the box." you said that he sucked. you gave no constructive criticism.

even though the world has changed a lot in the past 50 years and something that was fresh 50 years can seem old and stale now, like how times can Wizard create a Frightful Four to oppose the FF, before he realizes he should form a Frightful Fourteen instead.
    to what end? sure he might be able to defeat four people with fourteen. but then there's an asterisk on the win. didn't you make a big deal about Doom's honor? what would be honorable about a frightful fourteen? the challenge from Wizard's perspective is to recruit 3 others who are especially skilled in countering the Fantastic Four. and he's been pretty creative on that end. Hydro-Man and Klaw lose because the story requires them too. realistically, Hydro-Man could dehydrate them from a distance before the fight even begins. he's taken out greater numbers with less. and Klaw should be able to do something similar with sonic attacks. the real issue is that writers can't let them show too much competency because it would make Doom seem less special. the key is to get rid of Doom.

Frankly I would make Wizard different from Doom, by ditching his rivalry with Reed, have him be Torch's enemy again and give a better motive for his villainy.
    his focus isn't Reed. it's the Fantastic Four. the Torch isn't on his level. I'd rather see Bentley take a cue from the Future Foundation and rebrand himself as a patron to young/malleable wannabe villains; sometimes providing them with advanced weaponry or advice (like an evil Wizard of Oz).

Red Ghost has to constantly be a Cold War relic (even though the Cold War ended in 1991) because that is what he was in the 60s? Wizard has have the same thin motives (either boredom or one note jealousy of Reed Richards) who constantly forms Frightful Four groups because that is what he was in the 60s?
    the Red Ghost was murdered by Captain Hydra. and I've never once stated that Wizard should only have one m.o.

Heck I think Mad Thinker was a better realized character in the New Warrior comics then the FF comics, but the writers seem to love dragging him back to his old stale Silver Age characterization.
    and how did that turn out for he or the new warriors? they are squirrel girl supporting characters now. Thinker's a big picture guy. we're not supposed to fully understand his motives. he simply sets things in motions that often cause headaches for the superhero community. he works perfectly in that capacity. what's going to be lame is his current iimpersonation of Reed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what's a bad Wizard story? I've only read one decent Doom story.
    Well here is a couple:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-co...r-doom-stories

What's Wizard great stories? You answer this time or just deflect again.

his belief in himself. and the Frightful Four's belief in him.
    But what's that based on besides simple narcissism, has there every been a character spot light that explains why he is this way?

you rag on the backstories of anyone who isn't Doom. remember the Trapster discussion?
    Its not just Doom, look Magneto was he a better or worse character after he got a back story from Claremont, did Paul Dini ruin Mr. Freeze by giving him a sick wife? Or heck, any of the back stories Geoff Johns gave to various DC villains over the years?

What makes Trapster competitive as a villain, when he just seemed to have woke up one morning and started robbing banks for no reason?

Really the only villains who don't really need back stories are scary psychopaths like Bullseye and Joker who are so evil that no back story could justify their actions, though I liked the back story they gave red Skull, even though it made you understand why the why he is what he is, but still resents his actions as reprehensible.

he doesn't have one. he's completely unexplored with limitless potential. meanwhile, who gives a crap about another retelling of Doom's origin? he was disadvantaged but not really when you factor in that he just knew stuff from jump and had inherited sorceror ability. how many times can I roll my eyes at him having a grudge against Reed because of a math mistake? how is Latveria relevant to anyone?
    Again, all you are doing is deflecting, I am pretty sure most people on this board like Doom's back story. Meanwhile its been over 50 years, why can't the writers give Wizard a back story, just to tell a new tale with him already?

that's not his backstory. that was his second arc. the real story is about an extremely impressive individual who had to evolve when the world suddenly became flooded with superhumans and super-celebrities. he's fighting for a spotlight. your mistake is in thinking that there's a difference between being loved and being hated to an egomaniac. there is no such thing as bad publicity to the Wizard. we've seen that he has a cult following within the Marvel Universe; people who just interested in him because he's smart, confident, and notorious from his exploits as a supervillain. his life is twice as exciting as it would be if he were to go straight. this isn't someone who has to worry about imprisonment. escape is a mild challenge. to fully appreciate these characters you have to at least attempt to see from their points of view.
    But who is he impressing besides C-list dorks like the Trapster? If he just doesn't care about being famous or infamous, why doesn't he go for massive counts instead of just trying to go down in history as a monster, heck at least his battles with the FF would have real stakes, if the FF fail, people die, instead of just trying to humiliate the FF, he activate tries to kill innocent people to get attention, the FF would get to look heroic stopping Wizard's murderous schemes and the FF, where they saving innocent people rather then just defend themselves and Wizard can be truly detestable, rather then just some jerk?

what's Doom's motivation again? why'd he make a small child his pawn, skin the only woman who has ever loved him, and burn Reed's face?

you haven't read enough Wizard to be bored of him. it's why you always have to ask what makes him interesting.
    Because you never give a good answer to that question. How often is he written as something other then one note megalomaniac.

he was a hero not too long ago and helped fight the Psycho-Man. and I'd say that the existence of Bentley demonstrates that there are levels to the man. he created life. and that life is a member of the extended FF family.
    Does that go beyond the villain teaming up with the heroes to save his own skin?

Again, the clone son is the only remotely interesting thing left with, especially considering that mental break down went no where. But don't put all your eggs in one basket, there is still lots of stuff the writers should do with Wizard.

you might want to reread that Superior Carnage mini.
    That's the story with the bad conclusion to his mental illness arc, yeah pass on re reading that.

I'm just plain tired of Doom. Marvel needs to let some other masterminds shine.

Astonishing Member

I started the Revamp a Villain thread where people could post their new ideas for villains. I clearly have no issue with characters branching out. but you didn't suggest that Wizard "get out of the box." you said that he sucked. you gave no constructive criticism.
    Because you seemed hostile with giving guys like Wizard or Trapster expanded motives or back stories, something beyond they woke up one day and became super villains. To move them beyond their Silver Age boxes, giving them expanded motives and backstories would help.

There was a non canon short story where Trapster tried to reform and failed, but you got to see him as a human being rather then just a super villain, would a story like that being made into cannon ruin Trapster?

to what end? sure he might be able to defeat four people with fourteen. but then there's an asterisk on the win. didn't you make a big deal about Doom's honor? what would be honorable about a frightful fourteen? the challenge from Wizard's perspective is to recruit 3 others who are especially skilled in countering the Fantastic Four. and he's been pretty creative on that end. Hydro-Man and Klaw lose because the story requires them too. realistically, Hydro-Man could dehydrate them from a distance before the fight even begins. he's taken out greater numbers with less. and Klaw should be able to do something similar with sonic attacks. the real issue is that writers can't let them show too much competency because it would make Doom seem less special. the key is to get rid of Doom.
    Wizard has no sense of honor and if he doesn't use ruthlessness to his advance he is no threat to the FF, because the FF have better team work then the Frightful Four, the story almost always presents Wizard as not being in the same league as Reed and wasting one slot on Trapster always makes the Frightful Four seem less powerful the FF. Really Trapster should be bumped down to fighting street level heroes at this point, that would make more sense then him trying to take on the FF. if Wizard has no sense of honor and only cares about fame, why not just use superior numbers to win, the Frightful Four has failed, Wizard seems like an idiot for doing the same thing over and over again.

his focus isn't Reed. it's the Fantastic Four. the Torch isn't on his level. I'd rather see Bentley take a cue from the Future Foundation and rebrand himself as a patron to young/malleable wannabe villains; sometimes providing them with advanced weaponry or advice (like an evil Wizard of Oz).
    Well at least that would change up his status quo.

the Red Ghost was murdered by Captain Hydra. and I've never once stated that Wizard should only have one m.o.
    Like they couldn't undo in a second, who cares if captain Hydra killed Red Ghost, frankly killing C-list villains to make the new Big Bad seem cool is lame and frankly when the killed Purple Man off in the 80s and brought him back, he had his best stories after his return.

You could bring him back, if there was a good reason to do so.

and how did that turn out for he or the new warriors? they are squirrel girl supporting characters now. Thinker's a big picture guy. we're not supposed to fully understand his motives. he simply sets things in motions that often cause headaches for the superhero community. he works perfectly in that capacity. what's going to be lame is his current iimpersonation of Reed.
    Yeah and the Justice League was made into a comedy comic in the 80s, things change, doesn't change the fact Thinker got his best characterization there. Being morally ambiguous and a trickster mentor is a more interesting role for Thinker then a black hat mad scientist.

You seem to think revamping is just changing a character's gimmick instead of expanded the characterization.

Here's a good question, how fare would the Wizard go to be famous? Dr. Octopus not too long ago was willing to wipe out most of humanity to be rememvered by the survivors as a monsters, that seems like overkill, but if Wizard could kill 50% of humanity and be remembered as a monster, would he do it? To me I say either up Wizard's game and willingness to hurt innocent people or give him a defined moral limit that would prevent him from doing so, that tells me more about the character then another arrogant rant from him would.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 07-31-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I'm just plain tired of Doom. Marvel needs to let some other masterminds shine.
    I would agree, I just think some of these villains have not really evolved with the times and could use a real revamp and have it stick.

Well here is a couple:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-co...r-doom-stories

What's Wizard great stories? You answer this time or just deflect again.
    you posted a link to material that you yourself did not organize. why would I put effort into doing your work for you? just look at his appearance list on comicvine and do the research; like I did. I bought books of doom. I already mentioned Superior Carnage.

But what's that based on besides simple narcissism, has there every been a character spot light that explains why he is this way?
    he created some pretty impressive anti-gravity tech before the Fantastic Four showed up. he's a brilliant man.

What makes Trapster competitive as a villain, when he just seemed to have woke up one morning and started robbing banks for no reason?
    did someone else capture Reed using self-designed flying traps?

Really the only villains who don't really need back stories are scary psychopaths like Bullseye and Joker who are so evil that no back story could justify their actions, though I liked the back story they gave red Skull, even though it made you understand why the why he is what he is, but still resents his actions as reprehensible.
    Bullseye has a backstory. I just got done reading Bullseye's Greatest Hits. because I do the actual research/reading.

Again, all you are doing is deflecting, I am pretty sure most people on this board like Doom's back story.
    Magneto's origin is an improvement upon it. maybe Doom should evolve.

But who is he impressing besides C-list dorks like the Trapster? If he just doesn't care about being famous or infamous, why doesn't he go for massive counts instead of just trying to go down in history as a monster, heck at least his battles with the FF would have real stakes, if the FF fail, people die, instead of just trying to humiliate the FF, he activate tries to kill innocent people to get attention, the FF would get to look heroic stopping Wizard's murderous schemes and the FF, where they saving innocent people rather then just defend themselves and Wizard can be truly detestable, rather then just some jerk?
    isn't it obvious? he considers the others beneath him. the Fantastic Four were the top of the food chain when we first met the Wizard. should he just give up and aim for a weaker adversary? does that really sound like the Wizard to you?

Does that go beyond the villain teaming up with the heroes to save his own skin?
    it's the Quiet Man story arc. Wizard didn't have to involve himself. his skin wasn't in danger.

Again, the clone son is the only remotely interesting thing left with, especially considering that mental break down went no where. But don't put all your eggs in one basket, there is still lots of stuff the writers should do with Wizard.
    if you give him credit for the clone, then what's your problem with the character? it's a recent addition. it's the Wizard being given something new to do. the problem is that nothing is going to please you. because you're using an imaginary measuring stick.

Because you seemed hostile with giving guys like Wizard or Trapster expanded motives or back stories, something beyond they woke up one day and became super villains. To move them beyond their Silver Age boxes, giving them expanded motives and backstories would help.

There was a non canon short story where Trapster tried to reform and failed, but you got to see him as a human being rather then just a super villain, would a story like that being made into cannon ruin Trapster?
    do you have an actual idea about giving Wizard a backstory?

Astonishing Member

you posted a link to material that you yourself did not organize. why would I put effort into doing your work for you? just look at his appearance list on comicvine and do the research; like I did. I bought books of doom. I already mentioned Superior Carnage.

Is that list wrong? Again you keep on complaining about Doom, but you do not seem to acknowledge that most people on this forum really like Doom. You are not a professor giving out assignments, I do not have to do a lot of research for this thread which I am posting on for fun.

Look feel free to like any character you want, but if you do not like Doom, surely you can accept some people don't like Wizard or at least think there is room for improvement. I don't hate Wizard, but I do think the writers can do a better job with him, like have a stronger pay off for that mental illness arc.

he created some pretty impressive anti-gravity tech before the Fantastic Four showed up. he's a brilliant man.
    Doom and Reed have invented things time machines, has Wizard ever done anything on that level.

did someone else capture Reed using self-designed flying traps?
    Doom lauched the whole Baxter Building into space, its not Wizard has the market cornered when it comes to inventive traps.

Bullseye has a backstory. I just got done reading Bullseye's Greatest Hits. because I do the actual research/reading.
    Sorry I missed one mini series that was not covered in the main Daredevil books, please forgive me my trespass.

Magneto's origin is an improvement upon it. maybe Doom should evolve.
    Alright, but can you then acknowledge that giving characters like Wizard and Trapster a back story might make them more interesting?

isn't it obvious? he considers the others beneath him. the Fantastic Four were the top of the food chain when we first met the Wizard. should he just give up and aim for a weaker adversary? does that really sound like the Wizard to you?
    But then what the stakes with the Wizard? If he wins, he may kill or humiliate the FF, so what, every villain tries to kill the FF and I do not see him as being in their league. Especially when he intentionally limits himself by trying to take on the FF with teams that are on average less powerful then the FF and do not have the same level of team work and do not have a numbers advantage. Wizard never changes his tactics, so the FF have his number every time. Adapt or get left behind, Wizard is not scary because he never seems to bring a ruthless A game to his fights against the FF. At least if he is trying to kill inccoent civilians, he can throw the FF off their game and swoop in for the kill while they try to save innocent people.

it's the Quiet Man story arc. Wizard didn't have to involve himself. his skin wasn't in danger.

if you give him credit for the clone, then what's your problem with the character? it's a recent addition. it's the Wizard being given something new to do. the problem is that nothing is going to please you. because you're using an imaginary measuring stick.
    Fine, okay, but surely if they are doing that, they can also move him beyond this Frightful Four rut he has been in for 5 decades.

Astonishing Member

do you have an actual idea about giving Wizard a backstory?
    I am not expert writer hired by Marvel, but when he was suffering from a mental breakdown, he kept on mentioning God. Why is that? Is he religious or was he religious? Were his parents religious, were they good or bad people? Did he reject his parents religiousness as he grew older, only to remembrance it at his lowest hour.

That's why the mental breakdown was a wasted opportunity, it could have given us greater insights into the character, but it was resolved in such an unsatisfactory manner, it really told us nothing, it have developed him much more, but instead it went no where.

Seeing more of Red Ghost would be so much fun. There’s so much you can do with him.

And the mad thinker too as the sort of guy that is convinced he’s a genius and spends all his time on social media saying he’s so logical and not emotional and begins every sentence with “well, actually”

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Seeing more of Red Ghost would be so much fun. There’s so much you can do with him.

And the mad thinker too as the sort of guy that is convinced he’s a genius and spends all his time on social media saying he’s so logical and not emotional and begins every sentence with “well, actually”
    The last story I read that featured the Red Ghost was the Fall of the Hulks crossover. The Leader tasked his fellow members of the Intelligencia (which also included the Wizard, MODOK, The Mad Thinker) to round up the 8 most intelligent so they could take advantage of their knowledge. The Red Ghost was assigned the Black Panther and he was competent enough to pull it off. He was also working with Lucia von Bardas against Doom in Brubaker's Winter Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Hydro man would be pretty interesting. I guess he just needs a bit of work to make his adversarial relationship with the torch something personal
    It's not like the Spider-Man books ever do anything worth a damn with him

It's painfully obvious that many of the FF's rogue's gallery need revamping and updating. Doom, especially. Both Reed and Doom underwent huge changes as of Secret Wars. We saw a new Doom in Infamous and I think most of the FF fans on this board would be happy to see the character develop beyond a mustache twirling bad guy. That should be high on Dan Slott's "to do" list.

As to some of the "lesser" foes, the Wizard and Thinker should be brilliant. So they don't make the top 10 on the planet, but even if they're in the top thousand on a planet of over 7 billion, that's a hell of a ranking. The Wizard has a field of expertise and if he sticks roughly to that, then he can truly be in the top ten on the planet in that field. the same with the Thinker and his causation theories. their super powers are their brains and if their talents aren't expressed in a consistant manner, they lose gravitas.

Red Ghost could just be someone fixated on old Soviet methodology. The powers and the apes are something that seemed more acceptable 50 years ago, but still nothing too silly. Plus mixing him up in the Savage Land could present possibilities if we assume he's an animal expert.

Find what works. Using scientists with interchangeable abilities is like picking Tom Brady for a golf foursome. It might seem cool, but it's not the best way to work things out.