Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Old Wrestling School (The Territories , NWA/WCW , ECW , AWA etc)

Lets face it ...a lot of modern wrestling nowadays is really boring with really no cool behind the scenes stories. There really isn't much comical stories like the time Austin Idol took a fake check from a wrestling battle royal according to Jim Cornette and cashed it at a bank in the 1980's . The people who worked at the bank attended the show and believed it was all real , allowing Idol to pocket the money.

"Don't ya know me darlin , I'm Austin Idol !"

There are a number of fun behind the scenes stories from shoots and more. Plus this thread is a nice one so that the modern stuff can be done in the current thread (which I think should be renamed The Wrestling Thread) since everyone is talking about the current state of the industry beyond WWE. But that is up to the mod on that one.

Anyhow one wild story is the chain reaction that moves can make in pro wrestling. In the 1980's one move actually changed the course of a lot of destines .

- Jim Cornette and his co-host discussed the Georgia Championship Wrestling change in 1982/1983. In that Georgia had at one time Jim Barnett , Ole Anderson , Brisco Brothers and Bill Watts (10% owner) of the territory. Overall the territory for a number of years ran like a machine in the 1970's and had been built very well by Barnett's business dealings and Ole's booking.

- But as time passed Ole and Barnett didn't get along it appears and as Jim claims that Christmas (perhaps 1983) Barnett went to Japan or China to get his suits made. He would go every year there on a trip. Now as Jim explains Barnett would put money into the company and take it out when need be. So Ole somehow got in the office and saw that Barnett had taken funds and used it to push him out of running the territory so once he returned home he no longer was in charge.

- Ole now was in charge fully and Cornette claims either he was burnt out by the years of booking/performing or the fact he now had to run things as well. And it was terrible at how things went. Wrestlers would lose or win for no reason and it became pretty bad. The Brisco brothers didn't like how things were going but Jim Barnett decided no one was gonna **** him over.

- Barnett contacted Vince McMahon who was busy gobbling up TV at the time to spread the WWF across the country and sold his part. Barnett also learned that the Brisco brothers weren't happy with things in Georgia and got Vince in contact with them. So they sold out too. The Brisco's worked a deal where they'd get employed by Vince for the next 30+ years as we saw.

- Ole at this stage had bought the 10% piece by Watts and was blindsided by this. The territory in effect now belonged to Vince and he tried to fight it. I detailed months ago that McMahon tried to get Ole to work for him like Barnett and the Brisco's would . At a hearing in court Ole lashed out at Vince and Linda McMahon which would never allow him to work for them.

But one move as we saw impacted so much as Cornette's co-host brought up...

1) The sale of Georgia had led Vince to do Black Saturday where WWF aired and many complained. This had Ted Turner sign UWF to air on TBS. The UWF became more popular than Vince's WWF . Turner also got Ole Anderson a show on TBS with a renamed Georgia territory.

2) Vince's WWF expansion in Georgia didn't work and he sold the time slot to Jim Crockett saying he'd regret buying it. The cost was $1 million dollars as Crockett was expanding Mid-Atlantic territory nationally. This had an effect on UWF as Turner dropped that company from TBS and impacted it , where later it would in 1987 be sold to Crockett .

3) This move as I posted literally impacted 3 territories in rapid order ...GCW , Mid-Atlantic and UWF. Its amazing how much changed due to one move by Ole Anderson there in 1982/1983.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I was discussing Priscilla Kelly's upcoming debut in the WWE and it really put me in mind of a great talented women's wrestler who sadly never got a chance in WWE. In fact its kinda sad in a way , as Daffney (I spelled her name wrong on the other thread) aka Zombie Hot was such a great character. She literally debuted in the dying years of WCW but caught on so well...she went to TNA. Where she really became a star Knockout.

But in WCW....is where she clicked 1st. She was along with a couple other things...a rare bright spot in the dying days of WCW.

The whole arc with David Flair was perfect and how it flowed into Miss Hancock. In the end though what hurt the angle was more or less the limitations that David had as a worker. He clearly needed more training as we know. He was like Erik Watts pushed on TV before he was ready or had intentions to do. In the Death of WCW Book , it was said David Flair wanted to have a career in law enforcement. What changed his mind is when Bischoff showed him a PPV check he'd receive and he decided to do this.

Daffney really jelled as valet next to Crowbar as we saw. Devon Storm aka Crowbar was a solid in ring worker and Daffney went farther with him. In fact it was Ed Ferrera as a writer for WCW who suggested she scream and shriek on camera , which became her trademark . It added to her character as the insane Zombie Hot character.

But sadly for Daffney WCW in 2001 was a company in deep money issues and they were selling out. The idea originally was to sell to Fusiant Media and Bischoff seemingly had no idea what to do with this character , so WCW fired her in Feb 2001. A month later the WWE bought the company. They never gave her a chance it was sad. Because she just had that magnetic quality that the company could have used then.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

In a funny interview with Mick Foley , Jim Cornette brought up the 1st run that Mick had in WCW.

- Cornette and Sullivan had seen tapes of Mick from the CWA and thought he'd be perfect for a run in WCW. But one issue was , while they had power to put guys on TV as part of booking committee ; they had no say in who got pushed. So both men came up with the most absurd , ass backwards way of pushing someone on TV. They would pair Cactus Jack in tag matches jobber wise , have his partner lose and Jack would beat them up post match with dropping elbow from the ring to the floor.

- Mick himself didn't realize til 2-3 weeks in that he was getting over with this as fans would suddenly pop for the post match beat down to watch. He detailed that when it 1st started , Sullivan asked what his finish was and Mick was like , a finish...against the Steiner's ? He was like drop an elbow and Cornette described it. Things progressed to bigger guys being his partner...and finally Mike Rotundo. And he finally got a singles run.

- Jim and Mick discussed the Mil Mascaras and his feelings there. Jim details he knows Mick felt that the company was trying to send a message he wasn't wanted with Mascaras there and him having to put the guy over. But him and Sullivan had to find someone who could work Mascaras as Jim Barnett suggested they bring him in due to PPV being in Texas/Mexico border. So Kevin Sullivan was like...."Cactus is da guy , Jimmy ...he can do it." They had seen Mick's Neste plunge and knew that no one would talk about his loss if he delivered that during the match. Then post match him and another guy brawled and he got beat up , which was like the Cactus Jack hour.

- Mick himself said that as Mil was running late and thoughts were ...he's NO SHOWING , plans was to have him and Jake Fargo who he had turned against a couple weeks earlier in a tag match have a singles match and him to go over. But Mascaras arrived and they went with this. His only issue with the match was he wanted to kick out of that 1 pin attempt and still let Mascaras win. But was told no , he couldn't do that.

In an interesting spot Jim Cornette discussed the wrestling rings and how he tried to change Ring of Honor's wrestling ring at one time.

- He discussed the old WCW wrestling rings had better turnbuckle pads and had a POP sound on TV when people would hit them for TV . The WWF turn buckles was kinda squishy and did not have the same thing. WCW had smaller rings as well .

- In his stint at ROH he had noticed the ring needed work. He took 2 back bumps before a show and realized how tough the ring was and that it needed replaced because he wanted a softer one for the guys long term to work on. So right when Sinclair bought the company and they had the money he had a new ring brought in from OVW , where the WWE had sent some rings.

But a problem arose because the ring crew guys had always put the old ROH ring up and knew how to do it. The new ring was one they struggled in putting up and they pretty much didn't wanna go through the hassle of using it then. Jim believes they for TV use that ring though , even though he hasn't watched much.

In a post from months back I remember hearing about the worst wrestler Cornette felt was in OVW and its was "Big" Russ McCullough who really never had much of a career in pro wrestling and retired in 2003 or 2004 after a couple years and leaving developmental.

- Jim detailed that he had no real muscle definition and the whole name fit his kinda boring personality basically. That this was the early days of WWE developmental and they really didn't have the system fine tuned that well so they had to use him. His big positive was he was 7 foot tall , 300 pounds. And he was edging on 30. But again it was the early days of WWE developmental.

- Anyhow he came to Cornette one day and said , I have this cool music I wanna use. It was a late 1999 and a heavy metal/grunge song. The song title comically was called "Dead & Bloated" by the Stone Temple Pilots. Which Jim joked kinda fit who Russ really was given his non talent in ring etc.

- So he brought up that a show in WV was booked and the TV of OVW didn't come there. A bar had paid a couple thousand for them to run a show there. No one would know who these guys was , since no TV was there again. So everyone would get a fresh look by these fans and also the roster then would get a chance to work a cold crowd who didn't know them . So his big heel was Batista (as Leviathan) and Russ was the big face.

- Well the STP music theme hits , Russ comes out in all black and the crowd quickly look at him as the heel. Russ doesn't know how to handle being booed so he decides to take the mic and decides to Cornette's horror ...and cut a promo on them. Which gets him even more heel heat by this crowd. So he stands next to Batista and Stacy (his valet) as this is happening backstage , Batista your now the face . Go out , hit your couple moves and go over clean. Batista is like what ? So Jim repeats himself that he now is the face since Russ has decided to be a heel.

- Batista hits the ring in quick order , and Russ has no clue as whats going on as fans think he's the face now n pop ! So he later learns as Russ tries to be a face early that Dave had to whisper in his ear , "Cornette told me to do this...." and hits the **** he's supposed to going over.

- Russ comes backstage angry as Jim is like , you wanted to come out and be a damn heel in the match so I had to have a face. So the face went over. Next time if I don't say cut a promo , you should listen.

- Another thing that OVW had was to save costs they actually had the good guys and bad guys alternate shows taking the ring up/down . That he didn't want folks seeing all the guys do it together so one night all the faces put up the ring and then took it down. The next night it was the heels. Well now everyone is looking for Russ since he was supposed to be the face and he's out in his car , crying over the phone about how he was done.

- So he was kinda happy Russ didn't last long in OVW.

This is the only video I could find of this guy by the way. Its nearly 20 years old and it seems Cornette was right about things here.

Todd Gordon in a shoot interview discussed ECW's 1st ever card as Eastern Championship Wrestling. It took place in 1992 and was called "Market Street Mayhem".

- Todd brings up that they ran in a local bar that had TWA (Tri-State Wrestling) shows and the comical aspect was the roof of the bar was so low , no one could go off the top rope. That even with the ring lowered to work for this , no one could go off the top rope even then due to the lower roof.

- To sell the show they did flyers and tried to spread word of mouth. But well then word of mouth was limited and they drew like 80 people to that 1st show.

- His 1st booker was Larry Winters and he kinda swerved him in an angle where it was pretty racist. In fact the angle proposed was that he would after a DQ finish as heel paint J.T Smith white (he was black). His tag team partner was not to be touched. But Gordon found the angle to be pretty insane and told Winters paint Smith's partner (DC Drake) black as you do this and its a balance instead of a complete racist statement your making. Instead Winters left the paint behind and painted just J.T Smith , Gordon was pissed and took over booking.

- The 1st show was mostly Joel Goodhart's class that was used from Sandman , Don E Allen , Stetson and Stevie Richards. Todd put over Stevie big time and that he was just a guy that was a star. That its a shame his throat operations hurt him and he feels he would have done bigger in WWE. He puts over how Stevie was tough to take the abuse he did where someone chopped his chest so hard , you could see the red lashes from chops he took. And Stevie never complained or anything.

- The 1st show had Ivan Koloff involved and Todd put over what a great guy he was. That a big problem Joel Goodhart had running TWA was , he wanted ALL THE STARS on almost every show and a budget can't take that. They can only afford who they can get. So he was told about Ivan Koloff and he called him. They paid him like $300-400 for the show and he drove there.

At the show Koloff asked what he wanted and Todd told him about this big kid named Tony Stetson he wanted him to work against. Koloff was like , ok so you want me to put him over ? Which surprised Gordon who never knew that he'd offer that. As Koloff explained , well I'm already over and don't need it but if I put him over it helps the guy your building ahead. Stetson himself was shocked when Todd told him.

In one funny shoot that you rarely see someone do....it involved "Natural" Butch Reed. If anyone doesn't remember Butch Reed was a former NFL player and someone who became a pretty big mid-carder for Bill Watts in UWF. You can tell Watts had plans for Reed down the road to replace Junkyard Dog but he got a better deal with WWF and jumped there awhile .

Anyhow Reed had a 2-3 year run in WWF in 1980's and later had a bigger run in WCW as part of DOOM with Ron Simmons awhile. But before that he was in Watts UWF or as they called it Mid-South Wrestling before.

- Reed is asked about Terry Taylor and he brings up that Terry had great in ring skill and ability. But he sadly never had "the look" of someone. That he tried with tanning and lifting weights but he just never had that look for a big main event guy. But he liked working against him.

- Then Reed brings up the most insane thing backstage that happened at a show in Mississippi. He had ran an angle where he jumped Taylor in a match he was having against Buddy Landell. The fans were less than happy , so backstage after it he's in the locker room taking a shower. Its there someone from the Klan came to his door.."Butch Reed we gotta talk !"

Reed yelled out , his office hours was closed and he was off the clock from work. That if he wanted to speak to him come to the next show and he'd do it. Well the guy kept coming and knocking on the shower door and demanding Reed come out. Finally Butch claims he came out and bounced that guy around the locker room pretty bad and made him leave with some bruises and all.

- Terry and Buddy both took off as he joked he was waiting on the others and was gonna meet them with his good friend he carries ; Smith & Wesson. Anyhow a couple minutes later as Reed is sweating in that locker room waiting possibly for a bigger fight to happen , a knock comes and its the county sheriffs . One black and one white who tell Reed that they know about what happened and just wanna escort him to county line for his protection.

That they know the guy he beat up and he could cause trouble. Reed was like , well if he meets me on the road he'll face some trouble himself. Butch claims a girl was with him and he didn't want her hurt so he tells em to escort him to the county line so he can get her home safely. But it was scary deal then.

In an old story story I posted a long while back , Raven detailed on why he changed his career and moved on from the WWF. And he really left a big time backstage career in the WWF as well.

- He had been running the Johnny Polo character awhile til one day Vince McMahon came up to him. Vince told him he realized , Johnny Polo isn't you and I'm gonna take you off TV. I want you backstage helping on booking committee and producing shows. He already was producing All American (or one of the syndicated shows) and doing commentary with Gorilla Monsoon at this point. So he was pulled finally from that to do the backstage stuff.

- Raven detailed that the company believed it took 80 hour work weeks to do the producing job. But he could format the show in 6-7 hours and have it ready. That he would have everything lined up for 4+ weeks at a time on the show. So it was a very boring job.

- Bruce Prichard was someone who did not want him on booking committee and as Raven says its common sense....he was worried about his job basically. So no way did he want someone who could come in and possibly take his spot in the company. So he was always trying to do things and was a stooge at times. He doesn't go into detail except for 1 story...

- Raven is a huge fan of the band "Blackfoot" . A southern rock band and he made plans to go. Anyhow the Undertaker wanted to go to the concert too as he was a fan so they both made plans to go to the show. Bruce Prichard asked if he could go and Raven was surprised but said he could. Perhaps Bruce went to make sure Undertaker and Raven didn't become closer so he went.

The Undertaker took his spot by the wall to watch and Raven being a young fan went to the front to watch. Where folks would sing along and jam to the music. That was it basically as a show. The next day he claims he went into the office and was called down to HR. Its there they told him Prichard had went and told them Raven had made an ass outta himself at the concert. But as he said , he's been in situations he's made an ass outta himself and that wasn't the case there. He was just singing along near the front and jamming with others. He explained that no way was this true and they really didn't say anything else.

- But he kinda knew that this would be how things would go. That Bruce and him would never really see eye to eye on things. Plus he wanted to do his own character and wrestle. Which Vince didn't want and he told him how he viewed him as producer and booker. So he walked away from a cushy high paying office gig where he joked he'd likely still be there today to do what he wanted.

- He did joke that Johnny Polo had its moments where he tried to make the character do funny things and get laughs from it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I was discussing Priscilla Kelly's upcoming debut in the WWE and it really put me in mind of a great talented women's wrestler who sadly never got a chance in WWE. In fact its kinda sad in a way , as Daffney (I spelled her name wrong on the other thread) aka Zombie Hot was such a great character. She literally debuted in the dying years of WCW but caught on so well...she went to TNA. Where she really became a star Knockout.

But in WCW....is where she clicked 1st. She was along with a couple other things...a rare bright spot in the dying days of WCW.
    WWE did sign Daffney after WCW and sent her to OVW. She trained in OVW with the lines of Mickie James/Melina/Gail Kim/etc. She has some matches where she's the valet of Aaron Stevens. (Damien Sandow)

At the time, I don't think she was sure she wanted to commit to wrestling full time and then quit the company to pursue acting.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    WWE did sign Daffney after WCW and sent her to OVW. She trained in OVW with the lines of Mickie James/Melina/Gail Kim/etc. She has some matches where she's the valet of Aaron Stevens. (Damien Sandow)

At the time, I don't think she was sure she wanted to commit to wrestling full time and then quit the company to pursue acting.

I forgot all about this. I do wish there was some videos of her time there. I tried searching on youtube for it.

One company that rarely ever gets mentioned ever in the history of wrestling is...the 1st real internet wrestling show that was proposed years before the internet became what we saw. In fact The World Wrestling Network has faded in the history books. But it was attempted by Jim Crockett Jr back in 1994.

- Jim Cornette brought up that he was running SMW when Crockett called him up and asked if he could use some talent for tapings he was gonna do in Tennessee . Cornette agreed and even let him use his SMW ring as he didn't have one yet. Anyhow he wanted to use the Rock n Roll Express as Cornette contacted them and told them that Crockett wanted them for his WNN show.

The 1st show went off very well and he used a lot of SMW guys.

- Anyhow the next show is where things went kinda off for Crockett. He wanted to use the talent again for some tapings and Cornette told him he had shows scheduled those dates . That he couldn't do it. Crockett got mad at him and contacted the talent himself who told him the same thing . That they had shows scheduled through SMW and that they could do it after. So he booked talent that wasn't part of SMW and it didn't go as well.

- Cornette said after this Crockett went to Texas and ran a show there and in Georgia. Finally he decided to get a booker and hired...Paul Heyman in early 1994. Anyhow Heyman was brought in due to the fact he could use ECW's production and wanted to create the 1st HDTV show for the internet doing this. Of course only 1 episode ever aired.

I have tried finding the actual show that was done on youtube and folks ...its not easy. Here is some raw footage shot in 1994.

Eric Bischoff was doing a shoot and doing that timeline of WCW deal. One of the famous behind the scenes stories was how he fired Ole Anderson back in 1994.

- Eric brings up that Ole was one of those old guys he kept in a position after he took over running WCW in 1993. That people always say , Ole saved every penny he made and didn't need the money. Well as he joked he is about the money and needs it. But as he heard Ole did the job in WCW because he loves it. So he compliments folks on doing things they love. But the entire time Ole was stuck in 1975. That he was wanting to do things like that , as he was trying to push him into a 1990's mind set.

- So he wanted to keep Ole around in some role as he decided to place him at the Power Plant to help develop young talent. This way he could be elsewhere away from things yet still be used in a way.

- During this time someone asked if he'd give Blackjack Mulligan a job with the company and Bischoff agreed. He made Blackjack an agent backstage and he was like , the guy has a huge fist. Bischoff claimed it was like 2 of his fists put together and he hired him and he was very damn loyal to that. That he learned how loyal he was when he went to the Powerplant to look at someone there.

- The story was Ole was swearing and giving Bischoff hell. Blackjack took offense to this since Eric gave him a job behind the scenes and smacked Ole , knocking him to the ground. Bischoff joked he may have knocked him out but Blackjack wasn't gonna take Ole's bad mouthing him. Bischoff examined this and the other situation (where he shot SMW promos at Power Plant) and decided it was best to move on from Ole Anderson.

Bischoff discussed the Randy Savage deal in 1994 and Elizabeth.

- Savage was not being used in ring and wanted to continue his in ring career. Vince McMahon disagreed with this as we all know and wanted Savage to be an announcer. But the split as Bischoff claims wasn't one where Vince didn't want him in WCW. In fact he let Randy leave the company as he wanted and knew he'd sign with WCW. Because as he thinks , he respected Randy's decision to continue his in ring career and knew the only option was WCW.

- He ended up clearing Savage's contract nearly all of it the 1st 2 years because Randy brought him Slim Jim as advertising. Which was a great move for WCW as it lured more mainstream advertisers as he wanted .

- It wasn't til later did he decide to bring Elizabeth in and well they weren't a couple at this point. They had divorced and she was engaged he believed at the time. But he still had love for her and was watching out for her behind the scenes. He compared it to more a brother/sister relationship at this point but Randy was very protective of Elizabeth even though they weren't together.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Lets face it ...a lot of modern wrestling nowadays is really boring with really no cool behind the scenes stories. There really isn't much comical stories like the time Austin Idol took a fake check from a wrestling battle royal according to Jim Cornette and cashed it at a bank in the 1980's . The people who worked at the bank attended the show and believed it was all real , allowing Idol to pocket the money.

"Don't ya know me darlin , I'm Austin Idol !"

Cornette didn't mention how the promoter called the cops on Idol for stealing the money and a police officer went to Idol's door? Idol gave the police officer a bullshit speech about how he worked hard for that check and that he was offended the promoter was trying to take away what he honestly earned that night in the ring. The cop was convinced and left Idol alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Cornette didn't mention how the promoter called the cops on Idol for stealing the money and a police officer went to Idol's door? Idol gave the police officer a bullshit speech about how he worked hard for that check and that he was offended the promoter was trying to take away what he honestly earned that night in the ring. The cop was convinced and left Idol alone.
    Cornette when he 1st discussed it alone brought up the whole legend of Idol cashing this check at a bank and all. Idol when he was with him discussed that final part.