Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Jim Cornette detailed the funny near riot that almost happened in Cleveland back in 1970s on his podcast.

- The match was Ox Baker vs Ernie Ladd . At the time Ladd was a huge face and the crowd loved him in that territory. Baker was a hot heel.

- The idea was that Baker would deliver a number of heart punches to Ladd. Ernie sold them so well he shook his whole body like jelly as he sold them.

- The crowd gets pissed as Baker jumps Ladd in his match and starts this. On the mat laying Ladd can hear the crowd screaming and that things are starting to boil over..."Ox the natives are getting restless..."

- Ox is like "Let me get a little more heat.." as he keeps hitting Ladd as this repeats as Ladd knows things are about to explode. Finally a chair comes flying in !

- All hell starts to break loose as more chairs and fans push to get in ring. One or 2 do get in as they are stopped.

- Cornette brings up that usually faces hit the ring to start a beat down on heels to clear the ring and fight back through the crowd so it protects them.

- In this case it didn't happen. The guy with Baker wants out of there and sees his chance. As he runs a 40 yard dash. Baker isn't lucky as he tries to escape the same way and is bigger n slower. So he is fighting through fans to get away.

(I will edit in video clip later)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Eric Bischoff on the issues with Thunder and how it started at the beginning.

- Bischoff is read a report about how wrestlers aren't happy with the increased House Shows and now having to work Thunder as well. Bischoff brings up that it was more than likely true at the time.

- Originally Thunder was supposed to get funding from TBS. The show was supposed to get paid for by TBS as Turner ordered another series to follow Nitro's success. That he wanted a B show during the week and help TBS. But here was the problem....TBS didn't want to pay for it. Shaw refused to pay for the TBS series and Bischoff was in a spot as revenue wouldn't help another show.

- He couldn't say no to Ted Turner who wanted this other show. He also couldn't add another PPV to the schedule because as he said it was hard for them to get 12 good PPV's a year or attempt to . There was no way he could do 2 in one month. The only thing left was to increase house shows to off-set the Thunder costs.

- Bischoff brings up top guys had dates stipulated in contracts so they didn't have that increased house show business to do. But a lot of talents were physically and mentally wore down by this schedule and it showed. He also brings up that agents for the company was part of the grind too. WCW didn't have many road agents and they too took part of that grind doing this schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkAydwP_8s&t=317s

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Justin Credible in a latest shoot discussed the New ECW and why it failed...

- Credible was contacted by WWE and told how they were relaunching ECW as a 3rd brand and how it was supposed to be different. But as Credible brings up what made original ECW work so well was that it was anti-corporation , anti-WWF & WCW. Its hard to say WWE sucks when the company owns you. He joked ECW was Metallica to the WWF's "Backstreet Boys". They were the hard edged guys and now working there and it showed.

- He started to get frustrated with things within a few weeks as they were paying him $1500 a week. Which may sound like a lot but in reality your paying for your own travel expenses (food , gas , motel) . By the end you'd make like $750+ bucks a week and that was less than what ECW in the 1990's paid him. He joked his father works in a factory was bringing home more money than he was.

- Also he didn't like the booking as he was looking like a clown. As he'd work and have matches end with DQ as he'd win by being put through a table , then eat a steel chair etc . So he finally told them he wasn't gonna show up anymore. Johnny Ace called him to try and convince him to come back. But he said after he laid down booking plans , he was like , nah. Your not gonna ruin my name and legacy from ECW with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqgAX08L6ps

Bruce Prichard in a comical story discussed the whole Randy Savage/Dusty Rhodes angle that was ran in WWF back in early 1990's. And why it went along..

- Conrad brings up that this once was considered a dream match. Between 2 of the biggest stars in both companies. You had Randy Savage and then you had Dusty Rhodes from NWA. Prichard brings up it was a year later and both were now changed. Savage was doing the Macho King act and Dusty was in polka dots as the common man.

- Both men idolized Dusty so he was involved as Brother Love as well in the angle. That they were doing house shows and basically letting Dusty be ...Dusty more or less. They would bump all over for him and he'd do his big elbow spot which had them run at times into it. Him and Savage was having a good time with it. Then Pat Patterson joined them for a show and asked how the house show matches were going and they basically showed him 1 night.

- In the car Patterson pretty much buries the match and how both are being idiots out there to Dusty. That Randy's bumping all over for the guy and what is Brother Love doing taking so many bumps for this ? They need to rework the match and fix it. So Prichard & Savage lay down a match where Randy gets heat on Dusty most of the match and Brother Love only comes in at the end and takes a couple bumps from him.

- That day in locker room they wait as Prichard does a good low key Savage impression. Comically as he goes to tell Dusty alone in showers , "..I'll let Brother Love here tell you .." as Prichard is like WTF ? So he has to tell Dusty the office wants the match changed and what they came up with.

- Dusty sits and nods and then does a line , "Boys , this is like someone gettin Babe Ruth alone in shower and tellin him how to hit..." A long pause as Savage answers , "Well Babe that is what were doing tonight ."

They went ahead with match and it was successful and they did this every night. They also had a new fun nickname for Dusty as he took the name "Babe" from then on.

- Prichard claims Sweet Sapphire was not a rib at Dusty. It was about the Dusty character and enhancing the common man character. Juanita Wright had worked as women's wrestler before and they wanted someone who wasn't a beauty queen type. A more common woman type and Ronnie Garvin suggested her. Dusty may have looked at not needing an enhancement for this.

- Conrad asks if there was pressure for Dusty to drop weight and get more cut since this was a steroid era of WWF. Prichard claims Dusty met with Vince and detailed he was doing an exercise regimen , on a diet and doing work out for cardio. Vince was like why ? I want Dusty Rhodes , the flabby guy and want that. Prichard claims Dusty was a great athlete even at this weight and size. He could move great in ring and work. That people may mock the guy for his look but he was loved.

- They bring up Dusty's exit from the WWF in 1991 as Prichard details that Dusty had been offered a booking position in WCW as things had changed. He approached Vince and asked if he could be let go. Vince respected Dusty a lot and told him he would release him as soon as program ended with Ted Dibiase. It was Dusty who recommended that his son Dustin be given a shot on WWF TV and tag with him in that final angle.

- They actually let Dustin work house shows before putting him on TV. But they liked Dustin a lot. Out of respect for Dusty they let Dustin go with his dad to WCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JHaW31VzU

- In his podcast Jim Ross was asked about the time he asked for a night off so he could handle a family function. Ross tells him it was his anniversary and he wanted a few days off to spend with her. But J.R claims that was all it was and its rare he'd ask for one day off. That he was refused it. This leads into Conrad reading about Meltzer's report that then Jim Ross contract was coming to an end and he may sign an extension at last minute. That he signed a short term one last time.

- Its brought up that at this point Mick Foley and Tazz was in TNA and that this could lead him to signing there. J.R admits he did have a meeting with Dixie Carter and her entire family. That he met her brother , sister-in-law and nearly everyone. That he met at their ranch in Texas . The Carter's flew him there on a private jet they owned and he quickly grew to like Bob Carter. That he could see himself working for Bob Carter.

- But one thing held it up. As J.R claims if you want me to cook the dinner , I have to buy the groceries. If my ass is on the line to improve ratings and revenue , then if you don't allow me to do this then I can't do it. Ross compared it to Jerry Jones bringing in Bill Parcells and making him sole responsible for the football team and if they lose ; he'd expect to be fired. J.R claims Carter liked that but he told him he needed to be the guy who was looking at bottom line figures wise to improve the overall business.

Jim Ross wanted total responsibility but he never could get that. So that way if he wanted to fire guys he could and so forth. But he never could get that from Bob Carter.

- Jim Ross though enjoyed Dixie and her family. They rode around the ranch they had and she showed him deer they had there and he still speaks to her to this day. That they are good people. Conrad claims this meeting happened in 2009 , Jim Ross tells him it was Memorial Day weekend of 2009 when this meeting happened.

- J.R claims that he was wondering if that he'd be put out to pasture by WWE. Because by this point he was suffering his 3rd bout of Bells Palsy . Here he is a southern , good natured announcer who can't smile and he has no place on WWE TV. He understood that this was the WWE basically and he understood things like this happened.

- He enjoyed the Carters. But he wanted total control of Talent , who he could let go and bring in as budget. But he learned there was no budget ; but maybe there should be as he'd push to happen. That couldn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJgVYxZcMMY

I was discussing Mike Adamle (perhaps the worst announcer in pro wrestling history) on one thread. Anyhow Bruce Prichard discussed him on a podcast last year.

- Prichard put over that Mike was someone that had floated around Vince McMahon's orbit a few years before he was signed. He had met him earlier and was an announcer for American Gladiators. His real relationship began with WWE when he did the sideline reporter role for XFL. So Vince thought highly of Adamle.

- So he was signed and Bruce comically acts surprised that fans didn't like him replacing Joey Styles on ECW show. But a big deal was Mike was a good guy and could talk. But he was a "scripted" guy. He needed to read from a script and wasn't good with off the cuff things like pro wrestling needed. Its why things came across as they did as he did announcing.

- Vince was looking for roles for Mike since he realized he was failing as an announcer. So after some interview spots they were sitting around and he decided Mike Adamle would work as RAW GM. Which was a chance by him to make it work.

- Conrad reads how it only lasted 3 months and by October Vince pulled the plug on Adamle in that role. He reads a Meltzer report claiming that Vince believed Mike would replace Jim Ross on play by play and that he had the same qualities as Eric Bischoff. That both guys came across as swarmy heel types and McMahon believed he would fit.

Prichard laughs at that report over the idea that Mike Adamle would replace Jim Ross. Mike wasn't a play by play guy. There was no thought to him replacing Jim Ross in that role . He doesn't seem to discount the comparisons to Bischoff , but he does admit that Mike never could pick up the wrestling speak deal. That Vince saw that Mike Adamle was never gonna get that. They had tried him as interviewer , announcer and RAW GM and it didn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcC7FsLDHHs

Years later the WWE literally mocked how bad he really was.

Billy Jake Haynes did a shoot recently and discussed a variety of topics and how he could kick someones ass in an instant if need be. (Haynes was a former boxer and Cornette backed up this , he wasn't a guy to fuck with backstage).

- Haynes discussed his confrontation with Jim Crockett and how he wanted to fight Dusty Rhodes over it. Anyhow he worked a program with Wahoo McDaniel and Wahoo was leaving the territory awhile. Billy Jack felt he shouldn't win the match and wanted Wahoo to go over. But Crockett wanted him to win the match and so did Wahoo. He tried to convince Wahoo he should win but he wouldn't do it. So they worked a finish where Wahoo looked good on his way out.

- So in a moment of silliness and what really set things off , Jim Crockett walks backstage and hands everyone their paychecks. And if they have an issue , they can tell him about it. Which as Haynes points out is a recipe for guys to get pissed. Because everyone would open their paychecks and question their pay. He opened his and saw he was paid $2,500 for his match. Meanwhile Wahoo was paid $3,500 and so was Ole and Arn Anderson who had worked against Wahoo before this.

- Billy raised his hand and went to Crockett's office. Its there he watched as he got on phone and Billy finally pointed at his watch. So finally Crockett gets off and after learning he was shorted $1,000 bucks is told he can leave then. Haynes took Crockett's desk and pinned him against the wall with it. He joked Dusty had peaked out of his office earlier before this and had wisely locked his door before this happened.

After he pinned Crockett who was scared , he tried kicking Dusty's door in and finally he left. Because he had money at home and didn't need this. He also never learned why he was paid $1,000 less than everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdGihRiRhuM

- People questioned in shoot if you watch why Billy has his hair that style. He reveals that he wants to hide his gig marks in his forehead. Where he would do blad jobs . As he claims he was a bleeder and has over 100 cut marks on his forehead. Him and Hercules in WWF had chain matches where he'd bleed. After he left the company they instituted a no blood policy.

- Haynes caught Hep C as a result of this bleeding so much. He finally was cured of it this past year after losing a good amount of weight. He shows his papers in the shoot.

- Billy brings up how he was irked that he was asked to bleed so much in WWF. That Vince asked him to bleed at Wrestlemania III. But he asked Vince why he was the only guy to do this . That no one else did it on the PPV. He also brings up he had the razor in his wrist and due to cameras being so bad , he had to be busted open the hard way 1st , then later he used the blade but the cameras caught him .

- There was no testing then in WWF for this. Hannibal brings up that the 70's and 80's during a lot of blood baths no one knew about the dangers then of this. That unless a doctor picked up a liver issue no one would know. Its only now its tested for . But its good there is cures for this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJevphFdVo