Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

On Steve Austin's podcast Hulk Hogan described working against Ultimate Warrior. Some surprising details...

- Austin himself praised Warrior's high energy type stuff that he would do. That he would call Warrior from time to time because he said Warrior was so cool to him when he came up. That he was young in business and Warrior treated him cool.

- Hogan himself discussed champions and one he praised is Ric Flair. That when he calls Flair , he will start off , "How's the greatest world champion doing..." because he feels Flair is the greatest world champion even today.

- Hogan said at the time he was being billed from Venice Beach and this golden tan California guy. That he had the pythons and look. He's rocking the red and yellow and in comes Warrior with all the colors , the perfect 12 pack and he looks at Hogan. That he sees dollar signs with Warrior. That he was a better , bigger package to draw money than him.

- Even if he'd win matches he'd ask Vince during the run what was next ? Where do we go from here. So he tells Austin he learns the finish for Wrestlemania VI and is ok with losing so he asks where he goes next from here. Vince is like , well I feel your run is kinda done since Warrior is here. And we can let you go home awhile etc. Hogan is like , well why not let me start up the ramp...and come back down and turn heel on him.

- Vince is like 'Nooo no it will never work. Your too beloved as Hulk Hogan to make it work." Hogan explains he began his career as a heel and could have done a sorta HHH/Hollywood Hogan run then there against Warrior. But Vince put the kibosh on it saying no it would never work that he was a face. Warrior's run was short as Vince called him back as they soon realized Warrior wasn't drawing so well so it was a weird couple years there.

- In the match Hogan saw warning signs. That he backstage had laid out the match and said the big points of it was A-B-C-D-E , that if they hit those points the people would love it and the match is solid. But they had to work around to each point. At one point Warrior gets gassed as Hulk puts him in a rear chinlock as he keeps going "Lets go home..." to end it. Hogan is like dude we still got 5-8 minutes left , we can't til we deliver these spots as planned. Hogan tells him what final spots they nail and gets Warrior to deliver it. But Warrior was so gassed he barely could press him at the end.

- Austin praised Hogan on protecting himself which he agrees with that a champion has to protect himself. Hulk explains as a mindset he always heard the Champion makes more money since he's the top guy. He learned that from the original Sheik coming in and once he returned he held Vince Jr to that same deal. That he as champion should earn more. Also he wanted even if he beat a guy clean or by DQ etc or lost , the guy leaving his program was worth more money to work.

- Hogan brings up the wild west aspect then than today. That if he was doing shows and say Roddy Piper or One Man Gang refused a finish (DQ or clean) he'd have to call Vince as he'd tell Hulk to work it out. Unlike today where guys don't care , then it was a lot different. So he'd propose things like say , look if I do win , how about you jump me during pose and make me do some color (bleed). That then the Hulkamania thing was so damn hot that if they sold the Spectrum and that happened ; they'd come right back again to see more matches of that guy vs him !

Roddy Piper he claims then never did a job for him. That he'd tease Roddy later in life ; how they could have done Randy Savage style business and he'd flip the belt to him and back had he done that. They could have done huge and Piper admitted he should have then. They could have done a couple title changes had Roddy let him go over then.

- So it goes back to Warrior and protecting himself. Where he told Warrior he needed 1 time to kick out of his finish and then let him go over. That he's still HULK HOGAN and now you just beat a huge monster in him. Austin praised this as he said he kicked out right at the right moment ; that it was like some Japan fighting spirit . Warrior won , but he barely won so there was that there. That Hogan was still the MAN. Plus handing the belt to him.

- Hogan said it was all calculated to do that entire thing. That Hebner was supposed to hand him the title in ring and he hand it to Warrior. So he ran out and did that there and gave him an emotional hug and handed him the belt. Then as he started up the aisle he just wished Vince would have let him go heel...to come back and attack Warrior then.

- Austin brought up the next year he beat Sgt. Slaughter and it was over. Hogan brought up that once the company started to tour the towns with Warrior as champion business took a turn and he was called back months later. He told them , if only you guys had let me go heel and feud for months ahead...I could have really put him more over.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Larry Zbyszko discussed Ivan Putski and the insane riot that started in 1980 after a match. Also the wild post match deal after the riot ....

- Larry discussed how Putski was pretty over as a face for his act. He wasn't a great wrestler per say but his act as the Polish Power and strong man act sold so well. That as a wrestler he worked around Putski's style to sell for him .He had the Putski hammer move and slam so Larry knew what worked for him. Fans loved him for the most part. Now some loved heels as they do today.

- One fan near front row is yelling crazy **** to Putski how he went with his mother last night. Then a couple more insane things to Ivan Putski. Suddenly the fan yells out how short Putski is as this sets him off. Ivan Putski jumps out of the ring and starts slapping the fan around. This makes the audience even more wild as Larry waits and once he comes back in crotches him in the ropes and gets a quick roll up pin.

- This sets things OFF. The fans go insane into a riot as people rush at him out of the ring as he's battling to the back. He claims he kicked and stomped one guy who came at him as they managed to drag that guy away. Then after more insanity with one old man hitting him with a metal cane to the head ; he feels someone kick him in the ass it feels like. So he finally gets back to the locker room.

- Arnold Skaaland (an old WWF official) is playing cribbage real calm and asks how things went , as Larry joked ...same as usual. Because it wasn't a big deal then when people went off. Its just he feels someone kicked him in the behind and he puts his hand back there and pulls out a knife blade. As he goes...'Someone stabbed me in the ass !" He said the handle had broken off but he pulled the blade out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WEJhW2je4

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I used to think Pillman was an awful wrestler when I was a kid because he was Stone Cold's bitch. Much like I thought Dana Carvey sucked because he was the sidekick on Wayne's World. Then you grow up and realize Brian Pillman and Dana Carvey were amazing. I was a young stupid kid though
    You should have seen him in Stampede Wrestling. The guy was a worker.

Incredible Member

To me, real OLD School wrestling happened in the 70s and 80s. I live in Canada and we got Stampede Wrestling and wrestling out of Toronto. We never saw The southern territories. If it wasn't Canadian, you didn't see it. Never got to see ECW, AWA, any Crockette stuff or Texas stuff. Heard things about them but never saw them. I go back to the Days of Sweet Daddy Siki, Dan Kroffat, Mike Shaw (Makan Singh), Edwuard Carpantier. These are the wrestlers I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    To me, real OLD School wrestling happened in the 70s and 80s. I live in Canada and we got Stampede Wrestling and wrestling out of Toronto. We never saw The southern territories. If it wasn't Canadian, you didn't see it. Never got to see ECW, AWA, any Crockette stuff or Texas stuff. Heard things about them but never saw them. I go back to the Days of Sweet Daddy Siki, Dan Kroffat, Mike Shaw (Makan Singh), Edwuard Carpantier. These are the wrestlers I grew up with.
    ECW really got me back into loving wrestling again in mid 1990's. I had drifted away and I was like...ahh now this...this is unique. It helped that the Monday Night Wars started right off from that. I am hoping AEW reignites that spark again for me.

So Al Snow in a shoot discussed the infamous Tough Enough moments where Vince threw them into the ring with guys and didn't realize they were young and didn't know much about business.

- Al puts over that there is a reason EVERYTHING has to be staged and worked out. Because you can't control what could happen if you don't.

- He brings up how Nick was thrown against Big Show who body slammed one of them (named Nick). So the kid right after the slam didn't realize he was supposed to sell it since he was new and hungry. Big Show reacted badly to this and nearly took the kids head off. Al claims Vince came to him and told him how this would go with him slamming guys. Snow was like , Vince we should have him chest slap them because you INSTANTLY sell that hit...because its like a frying pan hitting your chest.

He was over-ruled and the reaction was seen below.

- Snow discussed the Puder incident and said that the WWE obviously saw something in Puder but was setting him up to fail possibly. They offered him a 4 year deal for $1 million dollars after the original deal ended. And with a million dollars your supposed to have all these huge expectations. A fact that Puder was a great athlete and great self promoter . He had talent it was him starting from scratch and they knew this.

So watching a shoot of New Jack , he details some things. As well as his aborted WWF tryout he had in early 2000's.

- New Jack brings up he went to a taping for this "tryout" and when he got there Dean Malenko , pulled him to the side. Telling him to not walk up to Vince McMahon after it. That if Vince wants to talk he'll come see him. You just don't do it. New Jack wondered if Malenko was doing it as a rib or if this was a rule of locker room.

- Anyhow he's walking down the hallway and passes Vince ; so he like extended his hand to introduce himself and thank him for having come down. Vince seemed puzzled for this and both went on. Later Jack went to check where his name was at and saw it had been removed. The guy told him he was gonna get paid and he could sit and watch the show. Jack was like , **** that ...and walked next door to a seafood place to eat.

- MVP at the time was wanting a job as well and he was trying to convince New Jack that they needed to play the game. New Jack himself is like , I walked him back over and went to my motel n flew home. He brings up how people claim he can't play well with others but he just honestly admits he doesn't give a **** for the "games" people try and play. He refuses those games with anyone and was a grown ass man in the business at 30 when he started and doesn't need it.

- New Jack claims he heard later that Vince realized who he was quick and heard he couldn't control him. That he is the type of guy who can't be controlled so he was sent packing before he even got a shot. The guy brings up if he did get hired and was handed a script to read..."I'd hand it right back..." Jack brings up how he worked in ECW and how he'd work a promo.

He'd ask Heyman what bullet point he needed to hit and he could do the rest promo wise. That he doesn't need anyone to tell him what to say because he can nail it himself . That his promos were so real it seems people backstage was scared of him. That people even now wonder if he's as scary as he was in promos.

Its hard to believe its been 20+ years since the sad passing of Louie Spicolli. He had just turned 27 years old in 1998 and was starting to get a bit of a mid-card push in WCW then in 1998. Anyhow Eric Bischoff discusses the late Spicolli.

- He didn't really get to know Louie due to how short a time he was in WCW. He also really didn't know who he was. That guys backstage was high on him and wanted him to be brought in so he listened to them and signed him from ECW. He brought up a lot of folks behind the scenes liked Spicolli.

- Bischoff had no idea until later why he was so popular. Louie would go to Mexico and get some "goodies" for the boys and its why he became so popular. But he had a good style he thought and he worked decent in ring from what he had seen.

- He doesn't want to disrespect Spicolli or his family. But Louie liked..somas. That was his thing and for those that don't ..he explains. That they are pain pills in a way muscle relaxers. He's never needed one except for surgery's he's had. But Louie was on them badly. He would carry a bag with a couple hundred of them !

- Bischoff brings up that he'd be having a late dinner (bar menu mostly) with guys eating a burger n all after Nitro and he won't mention the name. But he would be eating , look across the place and turn back 20-30 seconds later and said person would be passed out in his plate of food. Bischoff would later learn it was guys taking somas to come down off the high of working and it would knock em out. That he'd have to get security to help them.

- Due to knowing issues of addiction due to a show he worked on for A&E he learned a lot about prescription drugs and addicts. As Bischoff claims people always go , wrestlers are dying due to steroids. But as he contends more are dying of abusing prescription drugs. That so many have died from it because they start taking them , their bodies build up an intolerance so they'd take more. Then some would mix alcohol with them and sadly its what happened with Louie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVrhvFvslg

Bischoff in his 83 Weeks podcast discussed the whole Bill Watts firing incident. On how he got fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NamheXyuaY&t=335s

- Bischoff claims he had no clue Watts was in hot water til later. That he had no idea that Madden would take the article where Watts said what he did to Turner executives and that this would be the final straw for Bill Watts. He found out Watts was gone in early 1993.

- But later he realized that Watts actions leading up to this was causing Turner to move on from him. That maybe he wanted fired possibly. The peeing off the side of the building story to the streets is one instance . Then carrying a loaded gun into the CNN Center. Bischoff puts over he believes in 2nd amendment too and has a gun permit. He just doesn't carry one around.

- Bischoff himself isn't gonna get into a debate over 2nd amendment. He just found Bill Watts actions of carrying it out so everyone can see as some clownish Intimidation act. He gave him a month and lost respect for Watts. Calling him a bully basically because he thought Bill was an insecure person with how he acted behind the scenes.

- Conrad brings up how Watts made Ron Simmons the 1st black World Champion in WCW history. Bischoff claims it doesn't mean he doesn't think another way as the comments showed. Which Conrad agrees. But its wild to think all he did business wise with Mid-South (JYD as his top star , knowing Ernie Ladd and the Simmons decision)

- Conrad brings up reviews from Meltzer in early 1990's on Erik Watts. As Meltzer claims Watts is a failure thus far and needs to be sent to indies to learn awhile or over in Japan to escape his fathers stigma.

- Bischoff is asked about the silliest damn angle ran with Erik Watts where he put Arn Anderson in a STF at a gas station. Bischoff brings up how he does feel kinda sad about Erik as he soon would learn more of business. About how many 2nd generation kids try to follow their fathers into business. He lists Erik and Greg Gagne and its sad. That Greg being the son of Verne Gagne made it seem he started 3 steps behind due to that.

Then Bischoff discusses when Garrett came to him telling him he wanted to be a pro wrestler. Eric claims he spent weeks trying to talk him out of it. Bischoff said this was 6-8 years ago before the scene has changed with so many companies now. Back then as he told Garrett , look your last name is Bischoff. Also there is 1 major company and its incredibly hard to break into that talent wise.

- In comparing things , he thinks like a Bill Watts who was a star and promoter (and ******* too) it made things hard on the children. That Erik started out in a spot due to his famous dad. Bischoff defends Erik saying that Erik didn't ask to be in a main spot as we saw. That he didn't want to be in that position. That it was all his father. And he agrees Erik was not good. That his timing and more was off due to what little time he had compared to everyone else.

Larry Zbyszko discussed Bill Watts and some of the classic territory days when wrestlers would be asked to go work another place.

- As Larry brings up he had been in WWF for awhile and worked against Bruno. He was booked strong as a heel awhile and to keep him fresh as a heel they wanted him to go work under Bill Watts awhile in Florida . The Eddie Graham territory. This way he could come back later and be fresh for the audience. Because if your working a territory so long you can make the audience get bored with you.

- It had some conditions of course. Graham/Watts was told Larry could lose of course , but he couldn't lose on TV due to how he was booked against Bruno and would return later. Florida's TV aired in New York.

- The 1st day there for a taping ; Larry walks backstage and see's he's booked against the Mongolian to lose on TV. So he approaches Watts and details the deal again , that he can lose but not on TV due to stipulation for Bruno and New York. Watts tells Larry's he's fired then if he doesn't want to lose. Which has Zbyszko leave.

- By this point Bruno hears about Watts firing Zbyszko and isn't happy. He also was being asked to do a show in the Omni and didn't wanna go to Atlanta for Jim Barnett before this. So he tells Barnett he won't be doing the Omni show due to how Watts fired Zbyszko. To get out of this deal.

- Barnett moves quick and brings Larry in and promises to pay him $500 a week in Georgia on Crockett's TV. Also to appease Bruno further to get him for the show comically he makes Bill Watts come there and apologize to him. All the while Larry jokes Watts wants to fucking kill him for this. Watts blames Graham for forcing him to be fired.

- But as Larry joked at the end , Bill Watts is an ******* and he was in WCW as he ruined that company awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpz7RO4iBtE

Jim Ross and Conrad Thompson discussed the weird year of Crockett in 1987.

- Conrad brings up that this had to be a weird year for the company. Jim Crockett had been buying up companies from Championship Wrestling from Georgia , Geigal's Central States Brand , Championship Wrestling from Florida and finally the UWF. That there was a lot of talent from the UWF deal coming in and listed off the champions.

- Jim Ross puts over there is only so much TV time and it was a factor. That they had all this talent and that 6:05 time slot was key.

- Ross discusses the weird idea with so much talent coming in to put the NWA World title on Ronnie Garvin. That he applauds Garvin for being a solid worker but he really wasn't in the prime spot to be pushed like that. Or its Conrad who does it. Either way both seem to agree that this wasn't well thought out then. But it seems like they wanted Flair chasing the title again ala Starrcade 83.

Also as Jim Ross puts over , Flair had worked against Dusty Rhodes twice and beat Nikita already last year. Flair wanted someone new to beat at Starrcade and they seemed to settle on Ronnie Garvin. Sting wasn't ready yet even though people were high on him. Flair didn't want to beat Barry Windham at Starrcade either.

- Conrad brings up the guy Windham worked with there...Doctor Death Steve Williams. Who was UWF World Champion. Why didn't we get a champion vs champion match at Starrcade. Jim Ross agrees that it should have been done and there is no excuse on why it didn't happen. That he would have made Doctor Death become allied with Jim Cornette to beat Flair. That he'd be sorta his bodyguard but he'd be there with him as well as working 6 mans. The vignettes alone would have sold that PPV.

If you got Doc ready with Cornette they could have had him red hot by Starrcade. That he was younger , bigger , stronger than Flair and they could have sold it as Flair's biggest challenge yet. But one thing tanked it coming in ; Doctor Death was on the wrong side. That egos killed this as it did with Dusty wearing polka dots in WWF . Now I have you and can ruin you.

- Jim Ross claims Dusty Rhodes actually liked Doctor Death. That they spoke of him coming in but Dusty was facing issues beyond this. That he had to appease others who likely feared their spots being taken (seat at dinner table) . Ross puts over Dusty as being the best Main Event booker he has seen. That he built a lot of young talent like a Nikita Koloff who had went from an unknown to a big star. And Ross puts over that many of these talents went from small paychecks to suddenly getting thousands of dollars. Like football players who get big paychecks and don't want them to end.

- Ross claims Jim Crockett should have stepped in to quickly stomp that Us vs Them deal out. Were all 1 team here now. But he never did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3IdFGfXu68

Bruce Prichard discussed the whole Jericho/Goldberg paint on his car spot on RAW back over 15+ years ago. In it Prichard discussed how things had been set up for Goldberg to feud with Jericho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVMasg6s8M&t=303s

- The program was set up for Goldberg to give him a good match n feud over a PPV. The whole deal led in from the backstage real life incident the 2 men had. So it helped to do this. At the time Goldberg was starting to have some issues with how things was going.

- As Bruce lays out the segment was rehearsed 10-12 times that day. Jericho would act to throw the paint on the car . Bill would charge backstage as Chris would take off. The security guard would point in the direction he'd go after being asked and then he'd speed off after him in the car. This was rehearsed a number of times.

- The live show happens and this time they use the paint and Goldberg charges backstage. So instead of stopping to ask the Security guard which way Jericho went , Bill shoves him and jumps in his car. Driving off the wrong way ! YES FOLKS on live TV , Bill Goldberg drove off in the wrong direction Jericho went.

- Prchard is like ...OH...FUUUUUCK. Cause he knows its coming and hears over his headset ...PRICHARD , GET YOUR ASS TO GUERILLA NOW ! He is also told to get the whole team for the shoot to come as they all come there and Vince McMahon is going ape ****. Claiming Bruce just SMEARED SHIIIIIT ALL OVER THE BUSINESS and he KILLED GOLDBERG'S CAREER ! Telling Prichard he is responsible for this.

- So Bruce tries to tell him , boss he didn't do what we rehearsed for hours. He shoved the guard and drove off in wrong direction. Vince claims he didn't see the guard and he wasn't in the right position and all. So just then they come back from commercial break and they are doing a replay of it.

- So Vince is demanding to see where the guard is as the camera man for the angle Bubba Dean goes , "There he is boss right there.." pointing out Goldberg had fucked the entire deal up backstage by shoving him . Vince is even more pissed and tells Prichard and everyone to get the hell out of there. Which Bubba Dean being an innocent guy just pointed out what was there.

- Bruce claims before that he wondered if he had fucked up the whole deal. If the whole shot was his fault. Did Bubba not get the guard in the frame shot ? Maybe I did have him in wrong position. But as he joked that is how he killed Goldberg's career.

(its been said this clip was the edited replay version , the live version has the whole deal as someone pointed out)

On his podcast , Bruce Prichard discussed Don West. If no one remembers for years Don West was one of the announcers and key sales guy for TNA from 2002 til 2012 on that 1st run of company. Anthem wisely would bring back West to oversee sales in 2017.

- Prichard details that the moment you went to a TNA house show on the mic you were hearing Don West go into SALES MODE. West is pitching TNA Merch like a madman , selling photos with TNA stars at tables , selling VIP passes backstage at intermission to meet TNA stars. He's pushing merch again. This goes on before the show begins a good while and its non stop. Don West is not stopping.

- He joked it was annoying as hell to see this ...but it worked. TNA had success doing this. Conrad Thompson brings up if WWE had a house gate of 80,000 for a show what would the merch sales be. Prichard puts it around a small figure like 15% of that for the crowd there. Meanwhile TNA was doing 24% on live gate merch wise all thanks to Don West. And they needed this as some shows TNA would do 500+ people to a show.

- Prichard claimed it was annoying to be in audience hearing the constant hawking and he felt if your making all your stars so easy to see for paid photo ops etc , it diminishes their value . But he can't argue with success...TNA and West was successful with this. They did great selling wise. Prichard agrees with Conrad that West is the most successful salesman in wrestling. He's also a very nice guy as well.

"If he's selling something , that **** is gonna get sold."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epztzzz-5xI

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    It is a monument to mismanagement to see all the talent that was on the WCW/NWA side of the fence during that era as compared to the WWF and then realize that the WWF won the war. The WWF had the louder microphone but talent for talent WCW was stacked to the rim.
    Kinda of an eerie parallel with current WWE having the most stacked roster it's probably ever and seemingly not knowing what to do with most of them.

Speaking of Shane Douglas and his legendary "D-ck Flair" promos in ECW , he detailed how they came about and how close he came to working against Flair in ECW. (Douglas has mentioned this on Austin's podcast as well)

- Shane brings up that as he started to really become The Franchise in ECW ; he needed something to get lots of heel heat. So he did have some heat with how Flair treated him as a young guy then. But he realized the biggest cities beyond Charlotte that ECW ran was Philadelphia and Chicago. Those 2 cities were big Flair spots for fans. So he told Paul what he planned to do and went full steam into the shoot style promos burying Flair.

- Well as time passed the whole "Flair is Dead" signs and chants started which surprised Douglas. Because it had a different effect.

- Around the time Ric was having issues with Bischoff ; Paul told Shane that Arn Anderson had contacted him. Arn and Paul were still close and that Arn was testing the waters if Flair came into the company. That he asked Heyman if Shane could be controlled (which Shane found silly as hell as he didn't think he was some out of control guy) and he asked if Shane would put Flair over. Also Ric wanted a huge figure.

- Shane told Paul to tell Arn , yes he would do business with Flair. But no way could ECW pay that type of figure for just 1 match. So he proposed a 3 match series. He would do the honors in Charlotte for Flair . Then they'd meet up later in Chicago and Flair could put him over. Then being ECW World Champion he would go over at the Spectrum in Philadelphia for a big PPV deal. Heyman sent the proposal back to Arn.

- This happened over the span of 2 weeks and things looked close as he was pretty excited. But then he heard Flair and Bischoff settled and he resigned with WCW. But the match never happened. As soon as this happened Shane told Paul he'd never mention Flair again in promos because whats the point ? He isn't gonna appear in ECW. Its silly to do and the fans know he won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sus-MIfrVAU