Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The comet just enhances firebending, it doesn't make you physically stronger or tougher.
    Eh. That he was amped still makes me question it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The comet also amped Aang. And every other firebender.

Anyways, when I see Ozai in threads, I just assume comet powered because of a lack of feats.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member

Well if he's amped that's going to cause some problems for Ed and Al since that means he can fly.

Mighty Member

The way I see it, even an amped Ozai isn't beating most of the major alchemists like Mustang, Izumi, Armstrong, Ed, or Al. They're just too good and each has solid achievements fighting and sometimes outright dominating against the insanely fast and dangerous homunculi and Scar.

Ozai is powerful, but he isn't a creative combatant like Iroh, Azula, and Zuko were. Those three, I'd give even odds or maybe even the slight majority against most of the major alchemists. A brute like Ozai? He wouldn't know what to do when Armstrong sends dozens of spikes at him, or sees a giant stone hand suddenly appear in front of him before it swats him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The comet also amped Aang. And every other firebender.

Anyways, when I see Ozai in threads, I just assume comet powered because of a lack of feats.
    This I allways thought that comet powered Ozai was the default (since he's the only version we actualy see fight).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    The way I see it, even an amped Ozai isn't beating most of the major alchemists like Mustang, Izumi, Armstrong, Ed, or Al. They're just too good and each has solid achievements fighting and sometimes outright dominating against the insanely fast and dangerous homunculi and Scar.

Ozai is powerful, but he isn't a creative combatant like Iroh, Azula, and Zuko were. Those three, I'd give even odds or maybe even the slight majority against most of the major alchemists. A brute like Ozai? He wouldn't know what to do when Armstrong sends dozens of spikes at him, or sees a giant stone hand suddenly appear in front of him before it swats him.
    He would...dodge? I'm assuming? He did plenty of that when he was fighting Aang anyways.

He would...dodge? I'm assuming? He did plenty of that when he was fighting Aang anyways.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Eh. That he was amped still makes me question it.
    did Azula and Zuko show a significant improvement in their durability during Sozin's Comet? if they did, then that's a valid question. if they have no discernible increase in durability then it's easier to conclude the Ozai is just that tough. honestly, I don't remember Azula or Zuko showing any unusual or enhanced durability during the Comet. we saw things that were already well within their demonstrated durability feats. hence, I tend to think Ozai is just that durable to begin with.

Mighty Member

network issue caused a double-post
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 07-31-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: double post

Mighty Member

As I recall, Ozai couldn't dodge so well once Aang got serious. Ozai's just not that great a fighter when he doesn't have the advantage like fighting a pacifist who can't access the Avatar state while he's at his strongest because of the comet.

Most of the main alchemists, otoh, were very tough and creative fighters who had to somehow survive against some incredibly fast and dangerous creatures, like many of the homunculi.

I would bet on Bumi tearing Ozai to pieces even during the comet. Ed, Al, and Izumi are just as creative as Bumi while a full on enraged Mustang is terrifying (as Envy so satisfyingly found out). Armstrong might be the only major alchemist Ozai can take out, and I'm not really convinced Ozai can.

Mighty Member

double post

Astonishing Member

As I recall, Ozai couldn't dodge so well once Aang got serious. Ozai's just not that great a fighter when he doesn't have the advantage like fighting a pacifist who can't access the Avatar state while he's at his strongest because of the comet.

Most of the main alchemists, otoh, were very tough and creative fighters who had to somehow survive against some incredibly fast and dangerous creatures, like many of the homunculi.

I would bet on Bumi tearing Ozai to pieces even during the comet. Ed, Al, and Izumi are just as creative as Bumi while a full on enraged Mustang is terrifying (as Envy so satisfyingly found out). Armstrong might be the only major alchemist Ozai can take out, and I'm not really convinced Ozai can.
    He dodged well enough given that he was up against the freaking Avatar State. Most of the FMA cast wouldn't have fared much better.

A comet-empowered Ozai can dish out a hell of a lot more firepower than any of the Homunculi, and he can do it while being a mobile, agile, flying, and all-around difficult-to-hit target as well.

Mighty Member

He dodged well enough given that he was up against the freaking Avatar State. Most of the FMA cast wouldn't have fared much better.
    No, he didn't. I re-watched it. Ozai tried to run like a rabbit from Aang in the Avatar state and he failed miserably, only dodging a couple of Aang's straight attacks by outrunning them. He never saw the hit that took him out of the fight because it came from the side. Ozai is a brute. He prefers to overpower his opponent rather than outthink him.

That's not going to help him win against people who are skilled at outfighting creatures with god like power, like Lust, Pride, and Sloth.

A comet-empowered Ozai can dish out a hell of a lot more firepower than any of the Homunculi, and he can do it while being a mobile, agile, flying, and all-around difficult-to-hit target as well.
    Re-watching the Ozai/Aang fight did reveal that Ozai, while not so good at dodging, was putting out some incredible firepower. However, Roy can produce the same amount of fire (it's how he overwhelmed Lust) with much greater precision (just ask Envy, once she regenerates her eyes and limbs after Roy keeps popping them off). Ozai isn't defeating Mustang unless he gets really lucky. Roy's just that damn good.

Izumi, Ed, and Al are incredibly good at adapting to the situation. They are Bumi's equals in this. Defend, misdirect, and attack where the opponent isn't looking. Ozai will never know what hit him. Ozai might beat Al every once in a while, but I don't see him coming close to defeating Ed or Izumi.

But after re-watching the fight, I do believe Ozai can win most fights against Armstrong. Armstrong is another individual who prefers to overpower rather than outthink.

Btw, the homunculi are lot deadlier than you think. Wrath and Sloth can kill Ozai before he even realizes that the fight has begun and Greed simply cannot be hurt by even a comet powered Ozai.

Btw, the homunculi are lot deadlier than you think. Wrath and Sloth can kill Ozai before he even realizes that the fight has begun and Greed simply cannot be hurt by even a comet powered Ozai.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator