Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes Reborn

Default Heroes Reborn

What's the consensus on Heroes Reborn? I've just finished a re-read of Onslaught (don't ask), and as someone has never read it in full this seems an obvious time to check it out.

My instincts tell me that, based on the time it was written and some of the creators involved, it will probably be a waste of time at best. I do remember reading some of the Iron Man and Fantastic Four issues when I was a boy though and quite enjoying them, so am open to giving it a chance. Should I bother?

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    What's the consensus on Heroes Reborn? I've just finished a re-read of Onslaught (don't ask), and as someone has never read it in full this seems an obvious time to check it out.

My instincts tell me that, based on the time it was written and some of the creators involved, it will probably be a waste of time at best. I do remember reading some of the Iron Man and Fantastic Four issues when I was a boy though and quite enjoying them, so am open to giving it a chance. Should I bother?
    If you enjoyed them, I say go for it!

Personally, I did not like that era at all. The IM and FF books were the better ones by far. Both were done by Jim Lee. The Avengers and Captain America books, bother done by Rob Liefeld, were terrible. As I recall, Walt Simonson replaced Liefeld on Avengets midway through. Still was not good however.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I do remember enjoying them a lot, although I would add the caveat that I was 5-6 years old and hadn't read many other comic books.

Funnily enough I started reading Avengers #1 a couple of days ago and decided after a couple of pages that I really wasn't in the mood. I will probably give that and Captain America a miss as Liefield isn't to my taste as a writer or an artist.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I did enjoy the Fantastic Four and the Iron Man series the most. I think they wrapped the whole thing up pretty well in the crossover issues about a final battle with Galactus and his heralds. That's the advantage of getting the new TPB that's coming out. I also like PAD's mini Heroes Return that brings everyone back to Earth Prime, with the exception of Thor and Doom. That story takes place in a Thor annual, which I think this new TPB includes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I did enjoy the Fantastic Four and the Iron Man series the most. I think they wrapped the whole thing up pretty well in the crossover issues about a final battle with Galactus and his heralds. That's the advantage of getting the new TPB that's coming out. I also like PAD's mini Heroes Return that brings everyone back to Earth Prime, with the exception of Thor and Doom. That story takes place in a Thor annual, which I think this new TPB includes.
    If you're saying everything will be included in this new TPB, then I'm totally looking forward to it.

And you can count me in among those who enjoyed Heroes Reborn: Iron Man. Even though there were some complaints about the armored face-plate resembling a monkey's face, I still very much liked both the writing & artwork.

if nothing else, Jim Lee draws a magnificent Dr. Doom.

Oh yes, I do like this Doom. I was able to get a poster done by Jim Lee of the Fantastic Four and Doom some years back on eBay. I think it was originally offered at Dynamic Forces.

Astonishing Member

I actually enjoyed them too. The final (13th) issues had an amalgam of Heroes Reborn/WildStorm characters. Haven't read it since them but I remember being in awe as a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    If you're saying everything will be included in this new TPB, then I'm totally looking forward to it.

And you can count me in among those who enjoyed Heroes Reborn: Iron Man. Even though there were some complaints about the armored face-plate resembling a monkey's face, I still very much liked both the writing & artwork.

I liked Portatcio's work on Iron Man too. I just found the listing for the Heroes Reborn Omnibus coming out June 24th . That has just about everything, including the Doom mini series that brings him back from Franklin's HR planet.

The Avengers and Fantastic Four return from the pocket dimension of "Heroes Reborn," but the Earth they left behind still needs heroes! As waters rise and Celestials loom, will Rikki "Bucky" Barnes and her Young Allies step up - or is Doctor Doom the iron hand this ravaged planet needs? Trapped on this Counter-Earth, the disguised villains called the Thunderbolts must choose between escape or becoming heroes! And the interdimensional Exiles drop in for a visit! But when Onslaught rises, Franklin Richards returns to the original world he created - and Rikki Barnes must summon allies from the real Marvel Universe! Collecting HEROES REBORN: THE RETURN #1-4; THOR ANNUAL 1999; HEROES REBORN: DOOMSDAY, ASHEMA, MASTERS OF EVIL, REBEL, REMNANTS, YOUNG ALLIES and DOOM; FANTASTIC FOUR (1998) #25 and #31; DOOM #1-3; DOOM: THE EMPEROR RETURNS #1-3; THUNDERBOLTS (1997) #51-52, #60-62, #64, #66, #68, #70, #72 and #74; EXILES (2001) #81-82; ONSLAUGHT REBORN #1-5; ONSLAUGHT UNLEASHED #1-4; and MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: HEROES REBORN/ONSLAUGHT REBORN.
    Rated T
    In Shops: Jun 24, 2020
    SRP: $125.00

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I actually enjoyed them too. The final (13th) issues had an amalgam of Heroes Reborn/WildStorm characters. Haven't read it since them but I remember being in awe as a teen.
    Now that you mention it, I remember that too. I am tempted to get that Omnibus I just linked to this summer. I know I have most of the Heroes Reborn stuff but don't recall what box I have it all in! Might be worth getting it all in one volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    if nothing else, Jim Lee draws a magnificent Dr. Doom.

Agreed. His Namor was pretty darn good, as well.

I liked Portatcio's work on Iron Man too. I just found the listing for the Heroes Reborn Omnibus coming out June 24th . That has just about everything, including the Doom mini series that brings him back from Franklin's HR planet.

The Avengers and Fantastic Four return from the pocket dimension of "Heroes Reborn," but the Earth they left behind still needs heroes! As waters rise and Celestials loom, will Rikki "Bucky" Barnes and her Young Allies step up - or is Doctor Doom the iron hand this ravaged planet needs? Trapped on this Counter-Earth, the disguised villains called the Thunderbolts must choose between escape or becoming heroes! And the interdimensional Exiles drop in for a visit! But when Onslaught rises, Franklin Richards returns to the original world he created - and Rikki Barnes must summon allies from the real Marvel Universe! Collecting HEROES REBORN: THE RETURN #1-4; THOR ANNUAL 1999; HEROES REBORN: DOOMSDAY, ASHEMA, MASTERS OF EVIL, REBEL, REMNANTS, YOUNG ALLIES and DOOM; FANTASTIC FOUR (1998) #25 and #31; DOOM #1-3; DOOM: THE EMPEROR RETURNS #1-3; THUNDERBOLTS (1997) #51-52, #60-62, #64, #66, #68, #70, #72 and #74; EXILES (2001) #81-82; ONSLAUGHT REBORN #1-5; ONSLAUGHT UNLEASHED #1-4; and MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: HEROES REBORN/ONSLAUGHT REBORN.
    Rated T
    In Shops: Jun 24, 2020
    SRP: $125.00
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, Iron Maiden.

I quite liked the mini-series that brought the heroes back to the 616 universe, but didn’t read the stuff preceding it. I was just getting into comics at the time (had sporadically collected mostly X-Men related stuff till that point).

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I quite liked the mini-series that brought the heroes back to the 616 universe, but didn’t read the stuff preceding it. I was just getting into comics at the time (had sporadically collected mostly X-Men related stuff till that point).
    You could get the omnibus I linked to or I think a lot of them are on Marvel Unlimited. They still may be offering $5.00 a month subscriptions on the Marvel site. Sometimes you can just get the one month trial.

You could get the omnibus I linked to or I think a lot of them are on Marvel Unlimited. They still may be offering $5.00 a month subscriptions on the Marvel site. Sometimes you can just get the one month trial.
    Oh. I don’t think the “Heroes Reborn” books are for me, personally, from what I’ve gathered. Was just sharing my limited experience with that universe.

Thanks though!

I've read the first three issues of Fantastic Four. It isn't great to be honest.

Jim Lee's artwork is terrific, and it is almost worth reading just to see his renditions of the FF and their villains. The dialogue and plotting both feel very silver age though - and not in a good way.